Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    I remember that. Junzo Muto, who was supposed to be the new leader of the Hand:

Indeed, there was that whole 2000 miniseries featuring Wolverine/Iron Fist that seemed to indicate that Danny would get his Iron Fist powers back. But it didn't :/ . Instead, Danny got them back when he guest-starred over in Black Panther's title. And we never learned what happened to Junzo. Again, one of those plot thread that fell through the cracks.

Now, as for Sword Master being Iron Fist, again it's possible. With Alyssa Wong having written this one-shot and the new writer of Iron Fist, it makes sense. But part of me is still hesitant with Lin Lie being the new Iron Fist. Having read his series, I wasn't too impressed with Lin. I saw his potential of course, but the character seemed to lack depth. That is a shame since I was starting to feel it in the one-shot. If it is Lin, I'm more unsure of him being the new Iron Fist. An Iron Fist has to go through the harsh training of Lei-Kung the Thunderer. They've to go through the tests and trials of K'un Lun and prove themselves worthy by facing Shou-Lao the Undying. Lin has not done that. His martial arts skill is sub-par when compared to Pei or especially compared to Danny. Wong has to explain Lin's worthiness well if she will make him the new Iron Fist.
    Well, she had already said that the new Iron Fist powers will come from a different source and not from the trials of K'un Lun.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Well, she had already said that the new Iron Fist powers will come from a different source and not from the trials of K'un Lun.
    Thanks for reminder. If that's the case, well, the new Iron Fist is going to be a hard sell. Because an Iron Fist isn't just the Iron Fist. It's being the baddest, muthaf'ing martiat artist in the Marvel Universe. If Lin Lie is beating Hand ninjas so casually, again, that's a hard sell.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Thanks for reminder. If that's the case, well, the new Iron Fist is going to be a hard sell. Because an Iron Fist isn't just the Iron Fist. It's being the baddest, muthaf'ing martiat artist in the Marvel Universe. If Lin Lie is beating Hand ninjas so casually, again, that's a hard sell.
    I think that title belong to Shang-Chi. Not even Danny was close to him in terms of martial arts.

Also I really doubt the new Iron Fist will fight Hand ninjas, if he is Sword Master, his enemies will be the demons that appeared in his comic.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This kind of makes me think it's not going to be permanent if only because the character already had an established gimmick they're known for.

Yeah but I think Marvel perhaps sees that there's not exactly a large audience clamoring for more Sword Master stories but going by the last couple of attempts at solo books for Danny people aren't exactly clamoring for more Iron Fist either so it's a somewhat confusing move to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I think that title belong to Shang-Chi. Not even Danny was close to him in terms of martial arts.

Also I really doubt the new Iron Fist will fight Hand ninjas, if he is Sword Master, his enemies will be the demons that appeared in his comic.
    I've to contextualize the statement. I think Danny strives to be that. And in some ways, he believes that. Because when you are the Iron Fist, martial arts is an integral part of your identity. I wouldn't want to see an Iron Fist just one-shot a bad guy.

As for who Iron Fist fights, it should be anyone. Because when one is the Iron Fist, one is expected to hold back the storm when no on else can. The storm can come in the form of demons:

to Hydra agents:

and yes to Hand ninjas:
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Yeah but I think Marvel perhaps sees that there's not exactly a large audience clamoring for more Sword Master stories but going by the last couple of attempts at solo books for Danny people aren't exactly clamoring for more Iron Fist either so it's a somewhat confusing move to me.
    They oughta just put Iron Fist on a shelf for a little bit. They keep coming back with different ideas, throwing crap at a wall

Astonishing Member

It’s going to keep happening until the MCU decides on how they want to adapt Iron Fist; be it Lin Lie, Pei, Danny with minor/major modifications or an OC

And then the comics will probably go in the opposite direction just to be contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    It’s going to keep happening until the MCU decides on how they want to adapt Iron Fist; be it Lin Lie, Pei, Danny with minor/major modifications or an OC

And then the comics will probably go in the opposite direction just to be contrary.
    It's usually the opposite. Marvel chases after the MCU more than DC does till the DCEU.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's usually the opposite. Marvel chases after the MCU more than DC does till the DCEU.
    Looking at Captain Marvel and Shang Chi, there is an impressive level of non coordination. Wonder if the Studios just don't trust the writers with their ideas, or don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Looking at Captain Marvel and Shang Chi, there is an impressive level of non coordination. Wonder if the Studios just don't trust the writers with their ideas, or don't care.
    Which is weird when Feige is currently in charge of practically everything.

They did put out 2-3 miniseries with Shang-Chi. I blame that one on Covid.

They pushed Carol a ton. That's the whole reason she became Captain in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Which is weird when Feige is currently in charge of practically everything.
    I'm surprised he didn't let the comics know he wasn't interested in the Inhumans.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They did put out 2-3 miniseries with Shang-Chi. I blame that one on Covid.

They pushed Carol a ton. That's the whole reason she became Captain in the first place.
    I meant that their current status qous and characterization hardly match what was in the movies.

Carol is now a hybrid, while Shang Chi has a bunch of new siblings and is running his dad's empire, both vastly different from what was in the movies

I meant that their current status qous and characterization hardly match what was in the movies.

Carol is now a hybrid, while Shang Chi has a bunch of new siblings and is running his dad's empire, both vastly different from what was in the movies
    Kieron Gillen describes his run on Eternals as sequel fodder. So I think that's how Marvel Comics is playing it.

To me MCU Shang-Chi and the Shang-Chi written by Greg Pak/Gene Yang are easy to reconcile. They are the same guy just different points of his life. That's how I would explain it to others looking to read him.

With Shang-Chi their hands were basically tied since the version in the film is so drastically different that you couldn't really implement that easily without doing a full on reboot (is his dad suddenly gonna be retconned to have been the Mandarin all along? Is he gonna get the Ten Rings? Is his sister gonna be renamed Xialing?) They did however introduce the mom from the film recently in Gene Luen Yang's series.

Sometimes the divergences also seem to come about as a result of the movies adapting something from the comics after the comics have already dropped it. Making Sam the new Captain America in the films after already having had him return the shield to Steve in the comics was the most glaring mantle that stood out to me recently. And it looks like Marvel is already scrambling to somehow try to cash in on that again in Timeless.

I think its more this than anything else. This may be the better path to follow. With the exception of Inhumans, and Eternals studios seem to hit on better ways to bring out characters to be accepted by larger audience.