Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

In fairness, this probably should have been done years ago.

My one question is why a new guy and not promoting Pei.

Just hope its not Swordmaster, I still want him and Ares to have a team up

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Thanks!

And yes, sadly, most people today act like this is all a fad or media hype. The truth is that there have always been "woke" Americans concerned about cultural representation, diversity and inclusiveness, etc., before the present age. Somehow people today think the struggle was a one day thing, not something that has been going on for centuries and embodied by several faces and voices of every ethnicity.
    The "current" generation likes to talk like the previous generation was very different, and while there are differences, a lot of stuff repeats itself.

Truth is, human species is cyclical in too many boring ways, and while the cycles may not be identical, there are patterns.

It's actually funny how arrogant it is to think only the current generation thinks of certain things lol.

Oh and, I'm not shitting only on the current generation, I'm saying humanity in general is that moronic, this generation is doing it, the previous one did it, and the next one definitely will, 'cause human species likes to overrate whatever lil' group they're part of.

I'm fine with it because Danny has lost appeal. No one knows what to do with him and it shows. He tends to be the least interesting person in his own comic. He's not unlikeable just bland. So I'm cool with him being benched or retired.

The White savior trope is an issue but not the issue. Plus Dr. Strange is worse at it. Colleen wasn't always used well but she was never Danny's maid.

He might work better as a new SHIELD or SWORD agent. To me, it worked more for Dick Grayson and it could work for Danny Rand. At the very least, he'll get a snazzy new outfit.

I rather it be Pei than a new character or Swordmaster. Swordmaster doesn't gain a whole lot from being the Iron Fist. Maybe he'll get a Chi sword but he doesn't need to be Iron Fist to do that.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-16-2021 at 01:19 PM.

Astonishing Member

I think they should pass it on to someone new every year. You get and iron fist and you get an iron fist and you get an iron fist It would be fun. Some normal guy working in the office one day is like what the hell is my fist is glowing

I thought the whole point of the Iron Fist was for there always to be a line of succession -- meaning Rand wasn't the first Iron Fist, nor will he be the last. Is that not the case?

Honestly, after watching the Shang Chi & the 10 rings movie, I honestly thought Marvel missed an opportunity. They should have made Shang Chi the Iron Fist of the MCU. I wasn't a fan of the Mandarin replacing Fu Manchu as Shang's father. But if they were going to do that, they might as well let the Great Protector dragon be a guise of Shou-Lao the Undying and give Shang and/or his sister (speaking of which, what happened to M'Nai, Shang's brother???) the powers of the IF. But whatever.
    Nah I'm glad they didn't make Shang the Iron Fist, I like that he has his own thing going on. MCU made him look much cooler than Netflix Danny anyway.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

To answer the OP, I honestly think they're bored with the character and don't know what to do with the franchise.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    I like Danny Rand. I like Danny as Iron Fist. I don’t see why they are sacrificing his role just to make an ethnic correction.

First, is Marvel saying white people can’t have martial arts skill? Is it racist that they believe all martial art lead characters should be Asian?

I would rather they developed an ALL NEW original character If they wanted more Asian representation.

I feel like Marvel is promoting an Asian stereotype.
    The short answer is, after a couple centuries of Great White Saviors, many in the mainstream entertainment media are attempting to reboot or erase some of the foundational racist tropes.

Tarzan. John Carter. The Phantom. Iron Fist. Richard Dragon. Ka-Zar. Shanna the She-Devil. etc.

not to mention the racist trope of the Asian Bad Guy

The Mandarin. Fu Manchu. Ming the Merciless. The Yellow Claw. etc.

ALL of these should have died the true death hundreds of years ago, never to return. They didn't. Now a few people in power over these properties, with an eye to making as much money as possible from as many wallets as possible are shutting them down. This isn't "woke-ism," whatever the hell that is. It's commerce.

I'm not commenting on whether or not each instance is the best version of correcting this– some writers are better than others, obviously– but that is the answer to your question.

As always with a mantle change, it's rough on fans of the original character.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Nah I'm glad they didn't make Shang the Iron Fist, I like that he has his own thing going on. MCU made him look much cooler than Netflix Danny anyway.
    But, but, but... it's not Shang's own thing. It's the Mandarin's thing, which they've adapted to Shang in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    As always with a mantle change, it's rough on fans of the original character.
    It’s even worse in a case like this where the character in question who has been nothing but a hero is cast aside for the reason of his race because let’s be real, that’s entirely what this is about. And what makes the whole thing look even worse is that they had a naturally built in successor to Danny whom he had been training and would fit the bill that they were looking for as an Asian character but instead they throw her to the side so that they can then push this completely new character all while also speaking triumphantly at taking Danny out of the mantle. Like the whole thing just feels like a writing with numerous legacy characters where they basically build up the new guy by either talking about how great they are compared to the old guy. Honestly, this entire situation just feels inorganic.

Ultimate Member

A snippet of the letter written by author William F. Wu in 1974 ...
    The funny thing is Shang has more solo issues than Ironfist.

Bronze Tiger has done more than Richard Dragon.

Shanna The She Devil still gets books over at Dynamite.

I like Danny Rand. I like Danny as Iron Fist. I don’t see why they are sacrificing his role just to make an ethnic correction.

First, is Marvel saying white people can’t have martial arts skill? Is it racist that they believe all martial art lead characters should be Asian?

I would rather they developed an ALL NEW original character If they wanted more Asian representation.
    When Marvel has tried to offer original characters what have we seen??? PUSH BACK among other offensive behavior.
    Redjack wrote Mosaic an original black character. That book got attacked with claims of Deadman in black face.

White people are free to have martial art skills. The ISSUE is for years all we got in movies and most tv shows were white saviors that got to use those skills on LOL POC.

Folks are tired of money being dumped to make box office bombs like John Carter and excuse being made with POC.

John Carter lost more money than Catwoman and Steel combined.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    When Marvel has tried to offer original characters what have we seen??? PUSH BACK among other offensive behavior.
    Redjack wrote Mosaic an original black character. That book got attacked with claims of Deadman in black face.

White people are free to have martial art skills. The ISSUE is for years all we got in movies and most tv shows were white saviors that got to use those skills on LOL POC.

Folks are tired of money being dumped to make box office bombs like John Carter and excuse being made with POC.

John Carter lost more money than Catwoman and Steel combined.
    So then you find that the solution to that is to simply replace established characters with an OC that literally comes completely out of the blue that fits a certain race mold? Because that kind of thing completely lacks an organic feel and tends to receive push back as well especially when it’s seen as replacing the thing that fans enjoy. Am I saying that there’s a simple solution to the issue? No. But I don’t find the course of action in replacement legacy characters to be the correct course. And this is coming from a POC comic reader.

And let’s be real. Cases like Mosaic are a mixing pot of issues. With that you had a character who had just come out of nowhere with no buildup getting a solo book during a time that the Inhumans push was felt as being forced. You can’t really expect something like that to succeed when you don’t already have something of a build in interest for the new character. That’s why typically they’ll start off in either a team book or in someone’s solo and get something of a following before getting spun off into their own book. Just thinking that they’ll succeed right off the bat is basically throwing them into the deep end when they haven’t even learned how to swim; some might get lucky but most are gonna sink.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    So then you find that the solution to that is to simply replace established characters with an OC that literally comes completely out of the blue that fits a certain race mold? Because that kind of thing completely lacks an organic feel and tends to receive push back as well especially when it’s seen as replacing the thing that fans enjoy. Am I saying that there’s a simple solution to the issue? No. But I don’t find the course of action in replacement legacy characters to be the correct course. And this is coming from a POC comic reader.
    internet pushback isn't real. literally meaningless. All that matters is sales. Combined, good or bad, social media opinions account for less than 5% of the total buying audience. So, if sales of the new version are good, the old version will die. it's not like Iron Fist was lighting up the charts, regardless– EVER– so it's a safe experiment to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    internet pushback isn't real. literally meaningless. All that matters is sales. Combined, good or bad, social media opinions account for less than 5% of the total buying audience. So, if sales of the new version are good, the old version will die. it's not like Iron Fist was lighting up the charts, regardless– EVER– so it's a safe experiment to see what happens.
    Kinda feels like using the mini format is cheating a bit considering that, at that point, the sales expectations aren’t quite as high as an ongoing. A mini can sell at much lower numbers and still be considered a success. And that’s not even getting into ongoing books that would sell at cancellation numbers yet for some reason get to keep going.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post

Lets be real here. This isn't about sales. The new Iron Fist isn't going to sell any better than the old one. I mean I don't have a problem with them changing the dude, but it isn't about sales. Its a mini series. It will do ok.