Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Another member John Venus pitched a story where Danny gets a new identity and tries to reinvent himself. I'm up for that because reinventing yourself in your 30s is an angle you could explore. It gives him something meaningful to pursue which he lacked in recent runs.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Another member John Venus pitched a story where Danny gets a new identity and tries to reinvent himself. I'm up for that because reinventing yourself in your 30s is an angle you could explore. It gives him something meaningful to pursue which he lacked in recent runs.
    You make a good point. With so many people now forced to change careers due to the pandemic -- and also because it seems like this younger generation doesn't quite get the fact that life doesn't end when you turn 25 -- it would be good to show a character that goes through that transition that many, many people make in their lives.

I suspect Danny knew more than anyone else that he'd never be able to keep the power of the IF forever. I'd like to see him work through that. At least he still has his billion dollar company as a fall back, which is more than I can say for pretty much everyone else. Who knows, maybe he resurfaces with a different superhero identity? Start thinking up a good moniker now. "Power Man and...."

"The Living Weapon" would still work for him.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm fine with it because Danny has lost appeal. No one knows what to do with him and it shows. He tends to be the least interesting person in his own comic. He's not unlikeable just bland. So I'm cool with him being benched or retired.

The White savior trope is an issue but not the issue. Plus Dr. Strange is worse at it. Colleen wasn't always used well but she was never Danny's maid.

He might work better as a new SHIELD or SWORD agent. To me, it worked more for Dick Grayson and it could work for Danny Rand. At the very least, he'll get a snazzy new outfit.

I rather it be Pei than a new character or Swordmaster. Swordmaster doesn't gain a whole lot from being the Iron Fist. Maybe he'll get a Chi sword but he doesn't need to be Iron Fist to do that.
    Is he? How so?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    You make a good point. With so many people now forced to change careers due to the pandemic -- and also because it seems like this younger generation doesn't quite get the fact that life doesn't end when you turn 25 -- it would be good to show a character that goes through that transition that many, many people make in their lives.

I suspect Danny knew more than anyone else that he'd never be able to keep the power of the IF forever. I'd like to see him work through that. At least he still has his billion dollar company as a fall back, which is more than I can say for pretty much everyone else. Who knows, maybe he resurfaces with a different superhero identity? Start thinking up a good moniker now. "Power Man and...."
    Jed McKay or Al Ewing would be perfect to write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is he? How so?
    It's more of an exaggeration on my part because Wong started out as his manservant. But I think the oriental stuff is easier to scrub from Doctor Strange than Iron Fist. Most of Strange's spell are made up idols/figures. So just put him in Russia or Eastern Europe and call it a day.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-18-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Spectacular Member

Because Marvel is lazy, they don't want to support and push new characters nor do they want to support existing ones.

What character can make money if replaced I'd all they see.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Because legacy characters are all the rage and even though we all know they won't last and the OG's will be back they'll take the minor sales boost instead of writing a good comic....
    Yeah, pretty much. Not much to be worked over. A few years down the road they'll make a "Return of the Iron Fist" story.

BANNED

Who knows, maybe he resurfaces with a different superhero identity? Start thinking up a good moniker now. "Power Man and...."
    Luke doesn't go by Power Man anymore, so it'd just be Luke and Danny, or Cage and Rand. Maybe they could go by Hero for Hire and Living Weapon, or just Heroes for Hire.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Luke doesn't go by Power Man anymore, so it'd just be Luke and Danny, or Cage and Rand. Maybe they could go by Hero for Hire and Living Weapon, or just Heroes for Hire.
    Thanks, it's hard to keep up these days. I do recall Victor Alvarez using the name, but wasn't sure if Luke had completely abandoned the moniker. Still hoping that one day an alternate universe Adam Brashear will show up in 616 with that as his code name. A real Power Man.

Astonishing Member

I like Iron Fist. The Claremont/Byrne series is great. The Brubaker/Aja on is excellent. The more recent ones weren't as memorable, but I'm very fond of Danny in the role. I have no interest in a new character taking on the role.

Which saddens me. There is a coolness to "Power Man and Iron Fist" that's missing from "Cage and Iron Fist" and the like. The cool sound of "Power Man and Iron Fist" is why I first picked up the book as child.

Astonishing Member

I'd be down for all of this. Cage & Rand: Heroes-for-Hire sounds just as cool, really.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Which saddens me. There is a coolness to "Power Man and Iron Fist" that's missing from "Cage and Iron Fist" and the like. The cool sound of "Power Man and Iron Fist" is why I first picked up the book as child.
    I agree. There's definitely a rhythmic appeal to Power Man & Iron Fist that works. It's like Batman and Robin, Captain America & Falcon, Nightwing & Jericho, Green Arrow & Black Canary, Abbott & Costello, Romeo & Juliet, Simon & Schuster, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern, Woodward & Bernstein, Beavis & Butt-head, Key & Peele, etc., etc. It just works.

I don't see anything wrong here. The IF mantle is something that's been passed down through generations and now it's been passed down to someone else.

Danny Rand can still take the Nightwing route and create his own identity.

But, but, but... it's not Shang's own thing. It's the Mandarin's thing, which they've adapted to Shang in the MCU.
    It's still his own thing. His father used it for evil, now Shang will use it to do good. Instead of a conqueror he will be a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    "The Living Weapon" would still work for him.
    How about Ronin?

(Although Ronin is Japanese in origin while IF is more Chinese based.)

Or Danny The Fist? Or Dragon Fist? Power Fist?