Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Looks like Rogue Squadron is in limbo.

Sorry it's a bit late after the news to post it, but it appears like the Rian Johnson film trilogy Patty Jenkin's Rogue Squadron has been delayed indefinitely. The main rumor is "creative differences" which seemed to have plagued SOLO and the original version of episode 9.

Kind of looks like the other big space franchise with a Star in it, the TV stuff seems to mostly be on track at least development wise (With the exception of "Rangers of the New Republic") but the movies are kind of stuck. Although in SW's case it's been, for the most part, a cinematic franchise while Trek is more TV friendly.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Star Wars needs a bit of a "big event movie" rest IMHO.

Lets see what WB does with Dune and Hyperion.

That might give us some new sci-fi takes.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-15-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Bummed out by this as I loved the Rogue Squadron Books. I wonder if they are so gun shy on the last movies and how they did that they are really wanting everything to be perfect and visions and ideas are clashing? Not really big on Patty Jenkins myself but if they end up getting back on track with her I wouldnt be upset.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It sounds like it's micro-managing from the top. Which would explain the sequels, honestly. You either trust the people you put in charge or you don't. Though given how badly Abrams screwed up, can't say I blame them for not wanting to let one person have complete creative control. But still. With Abrams they have no one to blame but themselves. The way he screwed up Star Trek should have been a red flag. I'd hate to say this, but just let Kevin Fege have control. He shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of both Marvel and Star Wars but no one else seems able to do it without screwing it up over there.
    Assassinate Putin!

Star Wars films and production issues. Name a better duo.

I heard that Patty Jenkins was the one having "creative differences". Rian Johnson was ghosted a long time ago.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Star Wars films and production issues. Name a better duo.
    Also not a phenomenon unique to Disney's films-The production of ESB in particular had a lot of issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It sounds like it's micro-managing from the top. Which would explain the sequels, honestly. You either trust the people you put in charge or you don't. Though given how badly Abrams screwed up, can't say I blame them for not wanting to let one person have complete creative control. But still. With Abrams they have no one to blame but themselves. The way he screwed up Star Trek should have been a red flag. I'd hate to say this, but just let Kevin Fege have control. He shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of both Marvel and Star Wars but no one else seems able to do it without screwing it up over there.
    Feige would likely be very good at the job, but Dave Filoni might be the guy you’d want actually just acting as a “group editor” akin to a comic.

The problem with the ST, though, was far more letting Rian Johnson **** **** up because it reflected LFL’s own biases, prejudices, and stupidity regarding the cast and franchise as a while.

Abrams did a damn good job on TFA for what Disney wanted, delivered an excellent damn character in Finn, gave Rey and Kylo excellent damns tarts, and as horrifying as it may be to realize, was actually seemingly the only person who even spared a thought for any differentiation between the ST and OT - as nostalgia based as TFA was, he at least shot scenes explaining a different context, while Johnson and LFL gleefully retconned away that story for TLJ with one designed to make the ST more OT-like, before showing they thought Star Wars was a parody of itself. Meanwhile, they couldn’t wait to **** on Finn, Rey, and Luke to try and make Ben Solo seem more important.

Yes, TROS sucked… but that’s because it had to follow TLJ after that film fucked up everything and after LFL desperately clung to denial that Ben Solo should have everything sacrificed for him, all while Disney was unmoved by the need for time to clean up Johnson’s mess, and thus Abrams had less than a year to make a movie that LFL wanted to be about Ben Solo getting to fight some Bigger Bad when he knew damn well that just screwed over Rey and that the family story was all screwed up by TLJ.

…moving back to this film…

…I actually think that LFL might be getting antsy about the fact that right now their best story guy only has experience with TV - Filoni - while they themselves have shown a tendency to over-invest money into productions for films that ar was mixed bag in terms fo profitability based off concept. Abrams and Bad Robot carried plenty of water on TFA being a $2 Billion film that they were already trying to retcon and downgrade for the rest of the ST, Rogue One required reshoots but worked out great, while Solo became a BTS nightmare for a story that ultimately never required the budget it was absorbing.

As much as I myself love the X-Wing books (Wraith Squadron over Rogue Squadron, and Allston over Stackpole, for the record)… I feel like they’re a project you’d want with a more lean budget in a focused story with more humble expectations for box office. And I don’t know if LFL is ready fro that kind of planning yet.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Eh, I'm fine if it's off the roster, they announced like 16 other projects at the same time. I'll probably be pretty sick of Star Wars by the end of it all anyways.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Eh, I'm fine if it's off the roster, they announced like 16 other projects at the same time. I'll probably be pretty sick of Star Wars by the end of it all anyways.
    That's the thing with the way Disney announced these Star Wars projects, Disney released logos and and tentative dates for these projects and people thought they were done deals so when one doesn't make it it's all doom and gloom...but in actuality it's just business as usual. For every project that makes it to the screen as a big budget feature film there are ten projects that the studio started that didn't make it, and that's completely normal. The only difference is now we're privy to all those early stages of projects so it seems important when one collapses...but in actuality it isn't.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

^Yeah, even the sequel trilogy were originally going to be Summer releases.

I doubt the Rogue Squadron movie would follow the books (and also the comics and games). The ground they cover is pretty much covered by the AFTERMATH novels, which even feature Wedge, as well as SHATTERED EMPIRE, BATTLEFRONT 2, SQUADRONS, ALPHABET SQUADRON etc. I'm guessing these would have an original story, perhaps with the squadron dealing with

Or even have a post-ROS version, with Denis Lawson perhaps returning as Wedge to help teach a new incarnation to protect the new post-FO galaxy. Might even feature Snap's death in it (Although the movie doesn't mention it, Wedge is Snap's mentor AND stepson).
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-17-2021 at 06:53 AM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I liked the Rogue Squadron Books but I'm really not comfortable with Patty Jenkins leading this project

Overall, this is good news.

Ultimate Member

So would that mean we're getting no sequel era projects?

Mandalorian/Book Of Boba Fett/Ashoka I think kind of count. Maybe not as far into the future....

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Mandalorian/Book Of Boba Fett/Ashoka I think kind of count. Maybe not as far into the future....
    I meant after the Sequel Trilogy, to be precise.