Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Default Characters who were changed drastically because of the MCU

I wanted to discuss the characters that have changed the most in characterization because of the MCU. Here are some of the top of my head:

-Iron Man, Obviously his personality was drastically toned upon 616 around late 2000s early 2010s. His current runny Cantwell seems to return him to a lot of his previous to MCU characterization, taking himself and situations around him more seriously.

-Spider-Man has seemed to change the least in 616 from MCU, although that’s because he has had the most adaptations out of any Marvel hero, so the comics still use him with free reign and don’t try to align themselves with what’s going on in the MCU to much. (Only example I can think of is Electro being a prominent character in Slott’s post Superior ASM run around the same time TASM2 came out.)

-I believe that Shuri is now much more of a scientist and one of the big brains in the 616, inspired by her MCU adaptation. Previously she was more of a warrior and even points out in Doomwar how she’s not the physicist on the team (since T’Challa is one of the big brains in the 616 and a brilliant scientist, this aspect seemed to be given to Shuri in the MCU to help the brother-sister dynamic.)

-Hulk hasn’t seemed to be affected much by his MCU portrayal, his stories seem to have a lot of free reign like Spider-Man. He was dumbed down to Savage Hulk around the time of the Avengers movie, but now has a detailed social hierarchy of personas, most who speak in full sentences.

-Captain America hasn’t seem to changed too much because of the MCU, he did don his Marvel Now suit in the beginning of Hickman’s run, a more padded look with no more head wings, but has since returned to his classic outfit.

-Ant-Man will probably never be Hank Pym again because of the MCU, although I wonder if he will come back as someone else, maybe not since his corpse is still fused to Ultron.

-Thor seems to have kept his characterization pretty much the same after the MCU in his own series, but in other titles he appears in he will sometimes joke around. He still speaks as he always has though, not like the more modern grammar he speaks in the MCU.

-We now have a weird situation created by the MCU where Hope is Wasp in MCU, but we have both Janet and Nadia in 616. Hope seems to act more like Janet than Nadia, although I’m pretty sure Nadia may have been created because of Hope.

-Guardians were changed to look and act much more like their MCU counterparts around the release of their movies, they act more like their pre-MCU selves currently in the comics, embracing their long history before the movies.

Edits adding more: Jarvis was made an AI for Pepper when she became Iron Heart, even though the real Jarvis still existed.

If y’all think of any other examples, post them here! I just like discussing the changes that were made in the 616 because of the success of the MCU.
    Last edited by Crazyspideyfan; 11-15-2021 at 11:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Defenders all got close in 616 after the netflix shows and DD's previous friendships were sidelined for his new ones

Pym is still merged with Ultron? wow that's lasted a while. Hey is Drax still human in the 616? I imagine that'd be hard to retcon, but between all the movies, video games, telltale games and animated series, my understanding is most of them have him just being an alien, and will probably all continue to be, like forever going forward at this point.

Fantastic Member Crazyspideyfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Pym is still merged with Ultron? wow that's lasted a while. Hey is Drax still human in the 616? I imagine that'd be hard to retcon, but between all the movies, video games, telltale games and animated series, my understanding is most of them have him just being an alien, and will probably all continue to be, like forever going forward at this point.
    I believe Drax still is a human last I checked, I just think now he has a split persona between his human self and his Drax self, I believe they remerged at the end of Infinity Wars, and last time I saw Drax in Guardians he was wearing he classic outfit again. I may be completely wrong, might need to double check.

All-New Member

Spiderman because of the influence of Iron man. They are turning him to iron man which seems bad for the the character.

Agatha Harkness and Sharon Carter. Both hit with the villain bat.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Ultimate Member

Guardians of the Galaxy and Shuri are the most drastic.

They’ve become almost entirely different characters than before the MCU.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

At least it's good that the Enchantress hasn't changed anything due to the fact of Sylvie's existence in the Loki TV series, not even the teenage version of the second Enchantress (Sylvie Lushton) who has yet to reappear since 2016.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    I believe Drax still is a human last I checked, I just think now he has a split persona between his human self and his Drax self, I believe they remerged at the end of Infinity Wars, and last time I saw Drax in Guardians he was wearing he classic outfit again. I may be completely wrong, might need to double check.
    There was GoTG issue where Drax started playing a saxophone which was part of his human self.

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal View Post
    Spiderman because of the influence of Iron man. They are turning him to iron man which seems bad for the the character.
    That was years ago, Peter's more or less back to the usual, he's even dating MJ again, though right now he's in a coma.

Either way, I think Hulk for a while was more or less an Avenger again because of MCU too, or at least I remember hearing about it.

A few of the Eternals had the genders and looks changed to match the MCU

Fantastic Member

Peggy Carter is alive again and is no longer blonde, having been retconned into looking like Hayley Atwell.

Nick Fury?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspideyfan View Post
    I wanted to discuss the characters that have changed the most in characterization because of the MCU. Here are some of the top of my head:

-Iron Man, Obviously his personality was drastically toned upon 616 around late 2000s early 2010s. His current runny Cantwell seems to return him to a lot of his previous to MCU characterization, taking himself and situations around him more seriously.

-Spider-Man has seemed to change the least in 616 from MCU, although that’s because he has had the most adaptations out of any Marvel hero, so the comics still use him with free reign and don’t try to align themselves with what’s going on in the MCU to much. (Only example I can think of is Electro being a prominent character in Slott’s post Superior ASM run around the same time TASM2 came out.)

-I believe that Shuri is now much more of a scientist and one of the big brains in the 616, inspired by her MCU adaptation. Previously she was more of a warrior and even points out in Doomwar how she’s not the physicist on the team (since T’Challa is one of the big brains in the 616 and a brilliant scientist, this aspect seemed to be given to Shuri in the MCU to help the brother-sister dynamic.)

-Hulk hasn’t seemed to be affected much by his MCU portrayal, his stories seem to have a lot of free reign like Spider-Man. He was dumbed down to Savage Hulk around the time of the Avengers movie, but now has a detailed social hierarchy of personas, most who speak in full sentences.

-Captain America hasn’t seem to changed too much because of the MCU, he did don his Marvel Now suit in the beginning of Hickman’s run, a more padded look with no more head wings, but has since returned to his classic outfit.

-Ant-Man will probably never be Hank Pym again because of the MCU, although I wonder if he will come back as someone else, maybe not since his corpse is still fused to Ultron.

-Thor seems to have kept his characterization pretty much the same after the MCU in his own series, but in other titles he appears in he will sometimes joke around. He still speaks as he always has though, not like the more modern grammar he speaks in the MCU.

-We now have a weird situation created by the MCU where Hope is Wasp in MCU, but we have both Janet and Nadia in 616. Hope seems to act more like Janet than Nadia, although I’m pretty sure Nadia may have been created because of Hope.

-Guardians were changed to look and act much more like their MCU counterparts around the release of their movies, they act more like their pre-MCU selves currently in the comics, embracing their long history before the movies.

Edits adding more: Jarvis was made an AI for Pepper when she became Iron Heart, even though the real Jarvis still existed.

If y’all think of any other examples, post them here! I just like discussing the changes that were made in the 616 because of the success of the MCU.
    How do you leave Monica Rambeau off of this list?

Ultimate Member

Well he technically is still merged, his physical body is still merged with Ultron but one of the Infinity Stones or whatever pulled his spirit or whatever out of the body and then he got eaten by some monster so who knows....all he'd need is to escape the monster and get a new physical body and Hank would be able to come back...