Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Guardians of the Galaxy, #18

Brian Bendis and Ed McGuinness use "Original Sin" as a gateway to investigate what really happened in the Cancerverse and why Richard Ryder hasn't been seen since.

Full review here.

"Guardians of the Galaxy" #18 is one of the best issues of this current volume featuring Peter Quill and his band of vagabonds, which is interesting considering this is actually a flashback story told between the panels and after the closing cover of a previous volume of Guardians. At least Bendis and McGuinness are putting a significant amount of effort into the story and making it a fun read in the process. This is exactly the type of story that fans of the motion picture need to trip across. It gives the characters familiar ground to cover, but does so in a way that is almost as big and explosive as the movie itself. If this were an Annual, I'd be re-reading it right now. As a multi-part tale, I'm temporarily satisfied, but anxious for more. "Guardians of the Galaxy" #18 is a fine appetizer.
    Its one of the best issues and arcs because they did this series with just too many gaps in what went on.. lets face it , it detracted big time from what they were going to do. I get trying to do your own thing , but there just needed to be more of a bridge. (its also of course the best issue because it has Rich Rider in it)

This cancerverse question is not even the sole part.. we never got explanations for costume changes, many missing characters who have just disappeared with no , even token mention, characters like Quasar, Jack Flagg, Vance Astro, Namorita, Mantis, Moondragon, all the great Nova corps characters, Darkhawk.. BMB did not even really explain BUG's disappearance from his original Assembled team, I guess he popped up back in the microverse for Minimum Carnage though. There are huge gaps in the Nova transition as well..again, doing your own thing is cool, but there needed to be bigger and better bridges to bring readers along...especially when the content a multi zillion dollar movie was based off purports to use the prior DnA stuff as the inspiration.

Bendis didn't even show Knowhere as a detached celestial head until issue #17..correct me if I'm wrong, but he has not ever used Cosmo, although he's popped up in Nova on Knowhere in that series..

The art on this series has been phenomenal. I'm really quite high on Bradshaw as well. This looks like the Ed MCg show, and of course he is doing some of his best stuff in the last couple years. It is really cool to see him do Rich Rider (Note it is RIDER not RYDER, in issue #17 they don't even catch the mistake when they spell it both ways!)

Book needs some tweaks and better editing...but hopefully this is the start of some better stuff. We needed these bridges to get on to new stories...and its a bit late...but the book is doing very well,

Art was great, and while not much happens in this issue it was a treat to see Rider again, and holding up quite well against the mighty purple puss. I knew it all hinged on the cosmic cube and I am sure whatever happens next issue the sin will involve the cube. I doubt we will get all the answers we want but this wasnt terrible so far.

One note: Quill mentioned using hoa element gun. I thought he didnt have his element gun during Thanos Imperative. Or am I wrong?
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Brian Bendis and Ed McGuinness use "Original Sin" as a gateway to investigate what really happened in the Cancerverse and why Richard Ryder hasn't been seen since.

Full review here.
    It's Rider.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Do we really need an explanation for why someone changed their clothes? Are we that anal?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

now...just explain what happened to Bug between the Avengers Assemble Guardians team up and the Guardians relaunch.

BANNED

17 pages is an utter disgrace and such a terrible ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Do we really need an explanation for why someone changed their clothes? Are we that anal?
    Really one thing is not in it self noteworthy...but i didn't even mention the belief that many people feel the core motivations and characterization of these characters has been swapped out...(and we clearly get Bendis acknowledging that fact this issue finally with some of Gamora's comments about changing here)

So far this wasn't so bad. I wonder if it's just seeing Rich in action that is making me blind to fault here. Granted there's Bendis compression but it's still a good opening start to this arc.

I guess I should've expected this to be the opener of an arc, we can't get answers in one issue anymore. It was nice to see a bit of rump whooping but I read through this whole thing wondering just how much of the Thanos Imperative BMB actually read instead of just running with the cliff notes. Its been a while since i read it myself, but i seem to remember the Cube being a whole bunch more volatile than what's being tossed around here, and if the thing was still anywhere near as powerful as a CC should be that would pretty much be game over for Thanos, right?

Least its good seeing Rich again, for however long it lasts.

Actually LIKES comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Technodox View Post
    I guess I should've expected this to be the opener of an arc, we can't get answers in one issue anymore. It was nice to see a bit of rump whooping but I read through this whole thing wondering just how much of the Thanos Imperative BMB actually read instead of just running with the cliff notes. Its been a while since i read it myself, but i seem to remember the Cube being a whole bunch more volatile than what's being tossed around here, and if the thing was still anywhere near as powerful as a CC should be that would pretty much be game over for Thanos, right?

Least its good seeing Rich again, for however long it lasts.
    It's been a long time for me too (since it came out), but iirc it's power had just about been used up anyway, so this is a severely weakened CC.

@THANOSRULES - Too nitpicky man. That took some work to put together that list of continuity heavy complaints there, and if you did that every book that a new creative team takes over, you wouldn't be reading anything but new comics. Relax, man.

And for those complaining about the decompression, really? I personally am glad to see this story wasn't a quick one off, because we get that much more Richard Rider and DnA nostalgia. Plus this arc runs through issue 20, so enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tigris View Post
    It's been a long time for me too (since it came out), but iirc it's power had just about been used up anyway, so this is a severely weakened CC.

@THANOSRULES - Too nitpicky man. That took some work to put together that list of continuity heavy complaints there, and if you did that every book that a new creative team takes over, you wouldn't be reading anything but new comics. Relax, man.

And for those complaining about the decompression, really? I personally am glad to see this story wasn't a quick one off, because we get that much more Richard Rider and DnA nostalgia. Plus this arc runs through issue 20, so enjoy it.
    Well I'm 36 and have been reading comics for awhile I've seen a lot of new creative teams take over and no...its not the case with everyone. I look at everything on its own merits, and this series does not measure up in writing. I can be very forgiving.

I dont think this is a thread to crap on the series...I'm happy this Rider arc is getting done, but if continuity and editing snafus were my only problems w/ the series you could have a point...but they are not.

Positives

-NOVA!!!!!

-Pete and Richie Rich bromance still going strong(love the shout out too Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid)

-Xanadu, perfect Song choice! No matter how this ends, I need to see this, even if it's just a dream sequence.

-I really like what the colorist did with Novas flames! I still hate the orange colored Nova force, but I really like the idea that the orange Nova Force is kinda like what blue fire is to regular fire. Also points for keeping the holes blue in the breastplate and wrists blue.

-While McGinnies would not be the person I would want to drawn this, I overall loved his art.

-Great action! I had a big smile on my face seeing Drax punch the crap out of Thanos

Negatives

-"Ryder?"(insert Picard and Ryker facepalm)

-"No one can die in the cancerverse" unless you remember what Thanos Imperative was actually about and that they brought death to the cancerverse, that’s why that **** was imploding!

-How does Star-Lord have his element gun!!!!????

-I feel like Adi Garnov is the only artist who can perfectly draw Novas costume, every artist always forgets something. For McGinnis he forgot the emblem on Novas back.

-The cracked cosmic cube Star-Lord had is now fully powered........I'm fine with this actually, I just thought I'd point it out.

-Pete suddenly not knowing about the cubes power when he's used it prior.

-Those butt jokes where terribly unfunny.

-Richard and Peter referring to each other as Star-Lord and Nova instead of Pete and Richie Rich.

-Not a single Blueblazes(a single tear rolls down my face)

Last edited by Trevel8182; 08-28-2014 at 07:21 AM.

I expected this to be a single one-off so we could finally get some closure on what happened to Rider. I should have known better.

That said, Im not too thrilled with this issue and my disappointment about the story's length is just the start of it.

I havent followed this GotG series, so I gotta admit Im out of the loop on where Gamora and Quill and co. are at in their lives. But this did not feel like the Gamora who willingly let the Phanlax virus take her, and granted her little speech about spirituality explains some of that away, but still. And ultimately, I paid more money that I should have for fewer pages and got nothing but Rider and Quill (and Drax) beating up on Thanos, inside a universe that should have collapsed in on itself within 60 seconds. Beyond a half-assed exposition describing how Drax was still alive, there were no answers given, no new questions raised....this was four dollars worth of filler and we didnt even get a solid twenty pages.

I like Bedis' current X-Men titles well enough but this issue felt like all of his worst habits as a writer put on display, with a few extra flaws borrowed from Geoff Johns just for good measure. I only bought this to find out what happened to Rich. Im not sure if I want to bother finishing the arc, and Im sure as hell not going to continue with the series.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Haven't read it yet, but purchased it and looked through it. From what I saw, I liked. Some thought Rich would get punked - nope, he was giving and giving good. Thanos did not just steam roll Rich or Quill. Looked good to me. Will read tonight.