Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Default MLB 2021-2022 Offseason Hot Stove

The WS is over and the Hot Stove has begun, so the 2021 thread should be retired. A few major moves are already being made.

The Tigers signed former Red Sox Eduardo Rodriguez to a 5 year $77-$80 million dollar deal.

The Cleveland Guardians have settled the law suit with the roller derby team of the same name and will use the Guardians name moving forward.

The Angels have signed Noah Syndergaard to a 1 year $21 million deal, coming off of Tommy John surgery.

Blue Jays have extended RHP Jose Berrios to a 7 year $131 million extension.

Mets look to have hired Billy Eppler as their new GM.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

A very Angels thing to do, signing a guy coming off TJ for one year at $28 million. That said, Syndergaard could be a good move. Of course, most Angels moves are good until they shake out for a bit...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    A very Angels thing to do, signing a guy coming off TJ for one year at $28 million. That said, Syndergaard could be a good move. Of course, most Angels moves are good until they shake out for a bit...
    Beyond Ohtani, Thor could be the best pitcher the Angels have had in years.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Based on others coming back from TJ surgery, I am not sure he will round into form until mid-season. He should have some good starts in the first half, but there may be days he's out there and doesn't have his stuff or command (or really bad days where he has neither) in there as well. But he's still probably better than most of the pitchers the Angels usually trot out there on any given day (beyond Ohtani). It's a far cry from the days when the Angles rotation was the envy of the league and when their #3 starter could be the ace of most other staffs, but those days are long in the rear view.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

To the surprise of few, if no one, Gabe Kapler of the Giants is the NL Manager of the Year. Over in the AL, Tampa's Kevin Cash won the honor for a second straight year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-manager...d-winners-2021

I'm unhappy to lose Syndergaard as there's a chance we cannot replace him with anyone close to his level of talent, but he just has so many question marks. I don't like the idea of spending what the Angels spent on him. Hopefully he is able to re-build his career and help propel the Angels (and Trout) to the post-season.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yep, he could be. I'm hoping he'll be. But...long, sad history with the Angels suggests they love to get guys who are...not what they'd hoped for. Then again, they also have a history of Mike Trout, Ohtani, and others...which is where I'm hoping he shakes out. Even if he does, they need IMO one more good starter, and a couple of more big bats.

Verlander is reportedly resigning with the Astros

Corbin Burnes wins NL Cy Young while Robbie Ray wins in the AL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Verlander is reportedly resigning with the Astros
    1 year $25 million deal.

In other news...

Brandon Belt accepted the $18.4 qualifying offer from the SF Giants. He was the only player to accept the QO. All others who received one are now free agents.

Cleveland will officially change the franchise name to the Guardians on Friday.

-M

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    1 year $25 million deal.

In other news...

Brandon Belt accepted the $18.4 qualifying offer from the SF Giants. He was the only player to accept the QO. All others who received one are now free agents.

Cleveland will officially change the franchise name to the Guardians on Friday.

-M
    Has Verlander pitched any meaningful inning since? I think Thor at least pitched two innings since his, but I have no idea how he did.

A starting pitcher with only 167 innings pitched winning Cy Young doesn't sit well with me at all.

Extraordinary Member

Congrats to Bryce Harper, the NL MVP! There were IMO a number of potentials, but he was my favorite. Now if they can just get him some help.

Also, congrats to the AL MVP, with a unanimous 30 first place votes, Shohei Ohtani! In any other year, I might have said Vlad Jr, but this wasn't any other year.
    Last edited by achilles; 11-18-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Congrats to Bryce Harper, the NL MVP! There were IMO a number of potentials, but he was my favorite. Now if they can just get him some help.
    Exactly that. Harper is in the prime of his career, it's incumbent on the Phillies front office to provide him with help, lest he become the east coast version of Mike Trout, an uber-talented player who never sees the postseason.

Extraordinary Member

Damn, I just wiped out the best post ever.... Well, maybe not, but it was about Ohtani, and more correctly about the Japanese reaction, which was....staggering. They LOVE him. And have been following his season closely. Tokyo Tower, that iconic bit of real estate that Godzilla's always ruining, was lit up in Los Angeles Angels colors, they got his high school coach on TV, (guy looks as young as Ohtani himself, nearly), they shot out extra editions of their papers....man, NHK devoted nearly 7 minutes to his story at the top of their broadcast.