Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Yeah from all accounts if the owner's proposal moved the needle at all, it was in the wrong direction as it ignored two of the player's biggest must haves for the new deal. We won't know for certain until we see the player's proposal (and it seems how long they wait to make the counterproposal is a measure of how unhappy they were with this offer) and how hard they dig in on those issues and if they accept any part of what the owners proposed. But it's believed the players will wait at least two weeks to make the counter proposal, which pretty much means there's little chance that reporting dates for spring training will happen as scheduled.

-M
    We'll be lucky if we get a regular season at all, I'm thinking.

Ultimate Member

They'll come to an agreement once they start to lose enough $...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    They'll come to an agreement once they start to lose enough $...
    which won't be until actual in season games are threatened, which means we have at least a month before we see any real movement on the negotiating front.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I haven't followed baseball in 9 years and I'm going to try to use this offseason to get back into it.
    I have never heard the term "hot stove" before.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I haven't followed baseball in 9 years and I'm going to try to use this offseason to get back into it.
    I have never heard the term "hot stove" before.
    I don't know if this is the best offseason to get back into baseball. But I hope you do. I love baseball.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    I don't know if this is the best offseason to get back into baseball. But I hope you do. I love baseball.
    Baseball is great fun. And the more fans, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by cable guy View Post
    What's wrong with this offseason?

What's wrong with this offseason?
    There is a lockout right now. Owners and Players trying to come up with a New Collective bargaining Agreement. Both sides are pretty far off. Spring Training will most likely not start in time and there are doubts for the regular season.

But if you want to watch some games without waiting for the season. Youtube has tons of full games and high lights.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Yeah, but that's not really new for baseball.

Yeah, but that's not really new for baseball.
    Hasnt Been a lock out in a long time. The last Strike was in the 94 -95 season. Its not New To Baseball but it is not as common as people who dont follow baseball think it is.

And it could not have come at a worse time. Gas prices on the hike, food prices going crazy, people out of work. And there are billionaires fighting with Millionaires. It is not a good look.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I don't think anybody really thinks it's that commonplace.
    Just for a comparison, the NFL has had almost as many lockouts.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Baseball is great fun. And the more fans, the better.
    I agree totally with that, and I would love to see this great sport thrive again with a new generation of fans.

Looks like the players union is set to make their counter-proposal to the owner's offer on Monday (the predicted 2 weeks after the owner's offer). If this doesn't move the needle or create momentum, spring training won't start on time.

I don't expect the counter-offer to be well-received, as the Players are focused on issues that the owners do not want included in the negotiations, and will almost certainly be in the counter-proposal, and these have been a non-starter so far for the owners. So, I expect this counter-proposal will just be more of the same we've already received.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Nelson Rada is aspiring to be Ken Griffey, Jr., well I hope, when he accomplishes that, he sets out to make a name for himself.

David Ortiz has been elected to the baseball hall of fame and is the only member this year

Bonds, Clemens, and Schilling all fall off the ballot without getting over 66% of the vote

Scott Rolen and Andruw Jones both seem to be moving in the right direction with half their eligibility left

Arod opens at 34.3%