Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

So happy to see that David Ortiz is now an elected member of the Hall of Fame. Article Link

AAAA1st15.jpg
    Last edited by Deathstroke; 01-28-2022 at 05:23 AM.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I would say that the eligibility itself should be debated every few years or so.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    So happy to see that David Ortiz is now an elected member of the Hall of Fame. Article Link
    Good for Big Papi.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

the era committee is the balance to any eligibility questions, wouldn't be surprised if Bonds, Clemens and Schillings make it that way since they usually don't have the baggage the bbwaa have in their voting

True, but the era committees also have the same eligibility questions surrounding them just to a smaller degree, from what I can see.

Former Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Gene Clines, who was a part of their 1971 World Series championship team, has passed away.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    the era committee is the balance to any eligibility questions, wouldn't be surprised if Bonds, Clemens and Schillings make it that way since they usually don't have the baggage the bbwaa have in their voting
    However, the veterans committee might be even less inclined to vote for Bonds and Clemens than the writers were.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I know how this may sound, but I think Patrick Sandoval is one of the best pitchers I have ever seen the Angels have.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Good for Big Papi.
    I kind of figured it would happen after he survived that thing a few years back when he shouldn't have. Superstition, yeah, but hey, it's baseball!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I kind of figured it would happen after he survived that thing a few years back when he shouldn't have. Superstition, yeah, but hey, it's baseball!
    Are you talking about his name appearing on the PED list? The one that no one could say what he supposedly tested positive for and both the MLBPA and the freaking commissioner both essentially said it was BS?

Extraordinary Member

Are you talking about his name appearing on the PED list? The one that no one could say what he supposedly tested positive for and both the MLBPA and the freaking commissioner both essentially said it was BS?
    No, nothing to do with that, and nothing that was his fault in any way.

I thought he was referring to Ortiz being shot and nearly not surviving the emergency surgery a few years back just after he retired.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    I thought he was referring to Ortiz being shot and nearly not surviving the emergency surgery a few years back just after he retired.

-M
    Gawd, you know I'd completely forgotten about that. Sorry achilles!

Extraordinary Member

Gawd, you know I'd completely forgotten about that. Sorry achilles!
    Ah, sorry, I thought it was still fresh on everyone's mind, given he was just HOFed. From what I gather, it was a near thing. His living, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Ah, sorry, I thought it was still fresh on everyone's mind, given he was just HOFed. From what I gather, it was a near thing. His living, that is.
    Oh it was nearly the death of him. I just forgot about it because it has been a "long" time since that's really been mentioned in any talk about Ortiz. At least in stuff I've read anyway.