Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...kstories/1821/

That's a link to an NHK profile on Ohtani, and surprisingly...it does reveal some interesting stuff. Check out what he has to say about his favorite pitcher, (hint, that guy now pitched up the freeway for the Dodgers), and you've got to wonder if that guy want's to hug him or hit him for that one little innocent comment he made that sort of made him out to be...old.

And...after his season, he's still humble in a way you'd rarely see from an American player.

Extraordinary Member

Syndergaard has let slip...er, sort of, the reason why he left the Mets----and it's exactly what you'd expect, he thinks that the Mets' front office is, how shall I put it, not exactly with it, and he just didn't want to keep dealing with that.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/noah-synd...183300390.html

It was a pretty classy tweet; he didn't run either the team or the fans or the city down, he just mentioned the obvious and said leaving was very hard.

Extraordinary Member

I wish I could get one of Ohtani's earlier team jerseys or caps...the Nippon Ham Fighters! Who does not love that name?!?

Extraordinary Member

Rays have reportedly tendered Wander Franco an offer for 10 years "plus" at between $150 and $200 million. Interesting offer. I don't know who'd benefit more, the team or Franco. I can see that going either way, but still, I approve. That offer...if he continues to play like he is, could be a bargain.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Rays have reportedly tendered Wander Franco an offer for 10 years "plus" at between $150 and $200 million. Interesting offer. I don't know who'd benefit more, the team or Franco. I can see that going either way, but still, I approve. That offer...if he continues to play like he is, could be a bargain.
    I’m surprised at this. Usually, the Rays throw big dollars around like manhole covers, to offer that coin to a player is mildly shocking. They must like Franco a whole lot.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’m surprised at this. Usually, the Rays throw big dollars around like manhole covers, to offer that coin to a player is mildly shocking. They must like Franco a whole lot.
    I guess. I was pretty surprised at the number too, but that's probably about what it takes to retain him...and they probably think he's a franchise player.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    They did the same thing with their young stars a while back, which started their run of relevance. Offer the young players long term deals which pays them more early before they would have been arbitration/free agency eligible, and less later when they would possibly make more on the open market, but overall coming in well under market value for the entire deal, securing their prime production years and staving off losing them to free agency too early, but allowing them to get out of the contract still young enough to get one more big deal in free agency when it ends. They did it with Evan Longoria, they offered it to Upton and Crawford but those guys had agents who turned it down, and a few others, but having agents turn down such deals de rigeur pretty much ended the practice, but I am not surprised to see them take a flyer on such a deal again with a player of Franco's caliber and potential.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Extraordinary Member

Ooh, intrigue, suspense! The A's have put down an offer...not for a player, but for a plot of land somewhere near Vegas. Hmmmm.....They also plan to keep visiting it, that is the front office guys, and they've done surveys of potential MLB fans in Vegas as to how they'd feel about having their own team. Don't really blame them, IMO Vegas is one of the most attractive markets left for an MLB team, (also Nashville IMO). I think the franchise value would go up if the relocated there. Plus, they'd feel right at home alongside the Raiders. What is it about that city that makes sports team flee in terror? Well, actually, being from the state and having been to the city in question, as well as Vegas, I do know the answer.

Also, in Vegas, they'd be the only MLB team in town, so there wouldn't be divided loyalties as there are in the Bay area.

Extraordinary Member

What's this, the Angels are finally doing something to get pitching?!?! They've...er....gutted the Met's pitching now, getting Aaron Loup, the Met's star closer with a 0.95 ERA for a two year deal worth $17 million. Will they get another quality starter and at least one other good reliever? Will they get some offensive help? Whatever, I'm bowled away by the Angels doing something right now. Wonder if they'll go for that Japanese player who's supposed to be the Japanese Mookie Betts?

Extraordinary Member

Now the Rays have bitten the bullet and signed Wander Franco to a 12 year $185 million extension, the largest in Ray's history.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Now the Rays have bitten the bullet and signed Wander Franco to a 12 year $185 million extension, the largest in Ray's history.
    Damn! I guess the Rays must REALLY like Franco to shell out that much coin.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

White Sox beef up their bullpen and sign Kendall Graveman to a 3 year $24 million contract.

Angels added reliever Tyler Wade form the Yankees (who had DFAed him on Friday) for cash considerations or a player to be named later.

Clint Frazier and Rougned Odor were officially released by the Yankees after they were DFAed on Friday to create room on the 40 man roaster.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Ultimate Member

Cardinals have signed Steven Matz, formerly of the Toronto Blue Jays, to a 4 year 44 million dollar contract pending a physical, with incentives that could raise it to 48 million...

Former All Star closer and long-time Kansas City Royal Wade Davis has announced his retirement.

The Matz signing has a certain amount of controversy surrounding it, with Mets ownership claiming Matz's agent negotiated with them in bad faith and acted unprofessionally before signing with the Cardinals. All I have to say is that if the Mets think you've been acting unprofessionally, knowing their standards of what is accepted as professional behavior, it has to be pretty egregious.

-M

It just make me laugh that no matter who signs the checks, the Mets will still be the Mets