Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I have to say, watching the offseason moves is almost as entertaining as the season itself. Okay, maybe not that fun, but it's still fun. I think Freeman is going to command big bucks for the Braves to retain him...but not as big as they could be, since he seems to love the team. But if he does test the market...the Dodgers with an iffy Muncy, and plenty of other teams would love to have him.

Diamondbacks sign Melancon... not sure why other than I think they and the Rockies are just in perpetual denial that they need a burn to the ground rebuild to ever get out of the purgatory they're stuck in

Well negotiations to reach an agreement and prevent the lockout lasted a whole 7 minutes this afternoon before both sides broke it off and left the table. Looks like we could be in for a loooooong baseball-less drought. Seems neither side is willing to budge on some of the key issues so they had nothing to talk about today.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Well negotiations to reach an agreement and prevent the lockout lasted a whole 7 minutes this afternoon before both sides broke it off and left the table. Looks like we could be in for a loooooong baseball-less drought. Seems neither side is willing to budge on some of the key issues so they had nothing to talk about today.

-M
    “Key issues”, code for money. Billionaires fighting with millionaires while John and Jane Q. Public struggle to make ends meet during the pandemic is NOT a good look for baseball.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    “Key issues”, code for money. Billionaires fighting with millionaires while John and Jane Q. Public struggle to make ends meet during the pandemic is NOT a good look for baseball.
    Not that that will stop them from doing it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Not that that will stop them from doing it.
    Of course. Greed always overcomes common sense.

You are 100 percent right on that. This work stoppage, or whatever it is called can not last a long time. The average person will not care who is to blame the owners or the players. They will the super rich fighting with the mega rich while they go to the store and spend 25 percent more for 30 percent less stuff, spend half of their paycheck to get gas, and decide do I pay my electric bill or get meds?

This will hurt Baseball a lot more then the strike in the 90s if this drags on. I love Baseball. it is my favorite sport and even I am pretty cheesed off by this.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I don't see pitchers and catchers reporting on time. I think they rush something through to try to start the season on time, but greed will force them to abbreviate spring training and we will see a terrible brand of baseball as teams aren't ready to play, and a lot of players, pitchers in particular, getting hurt early in the season so we see a lot of AAA players on major league rosters for a good portion of the season.

They've known what the issues are for over a year now, They've known when the CBA expires since the last deal was signed. If they cared at all about the brand of baseball or anything besides not looking like the weak one who gave in and the loser in the negotiations, this would have been settled already. Yes, its about money, but we all know there's going to be a financial compromise achieved, and it will look no different in March than it would have if it was negotiated back in July. It's about their stupid ass pride and egos and being seen as the side that wins the negotiations. They are terrified of being the side that looks weak and caves to the other's demands. The money is only the tangible symbol of that pride. If it were just about the money this would have been negotiated already. They have to be the side that wins, and baseball and its fans be damned. So we are all the losers for their ego's sake.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Red Sox traded Hunter Renfroe to the Brewers to reacquire center fielder Jackie Bradley Jr. and a pair of infielder prospects, Alex Binelas and David Hamilton. JBJ struggled in Milwaukee, while Renfroe had one of the better years of his career, but completely disappeared in the post season.

Red Sox also agreed to terms on a one year deal with Rich Hill, reportedly for $5 million with up to $3 million more in incentives.

-M

Annnnd we're officially locked out. Can only hope this isn't a repeat of the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Annnnd we're officially locked out. Can only hope this isn't a repeat of the last time.
    Agreed. if this hissy fit between owners and players stretch into January, then we could be looking at trouble regarding the start of the new season.

If the lockout affects next season, I guess we can all watch the Deep Space Nine episode where they play baseball on the holodeck.

I can wear my newly acquired baseball T-shirt supporting the team too.

AAAA1st33.jpg
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

From what I hear on Sports Talk, this is about the middle class players. Not the $30 million superstars, or the guys who make under a million base pay. The utility guys in the middle are making less now than they did 6 years ago. If you take away the top ten signings, the average contract is less than 60% of what it was in 2015. $6million compared to $11million. There is also the issues of teams keeping players through a good portion of their careers at a low salary because of the 6 years! rookie contracts. Aaron Judge, the most prominent Yankee, still under contract, is going to be 30 and making just $10million a year.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

The problem is that there are A LOT of the people that you're calling millionaires who are not millionaires. While we think about the Trouts, Lindors, Harpers and Scherzers of the world, they are not the only players out there. Many are making League minimum which is lower than most other of the major Sports and that's not even taking into account the Minor Leaguers. It's certainly poor optics, but a lot of baseballers really struggle.

Baseball makes a lot of money, it is only right that the players who are responsible for bringing in that money, make their fair share. I don't care if they are millionaires. The owners arejust the fortunate kids of owners, or they used their wealth to buy a team, why should they make the lion's share of the money that comes in?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!