Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

With no big baseball news thought it would be fun for us to take a look back at the wildest night in baseball.

10 Cent beer night! Where? Cleveland of course

This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

The Mets hired Buck Showalter as their new manager today.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    The Mets hired Buck Showalter as their new manager today.
    Here's a link to the story if anyone wants to read about it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

The Detroit Tigers first base coach Kimera Bartee has passed away.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Seattle Mariners third basemen Kyle Seager has retired from baseball.

Reporter Ken Rosenthal has been dropped by MLB Network after more than 12 years. The split is being reported as largely due to Rosenthal's criticism of MLB commissioner Rob Manfred. Article Link

Former MLB pitcher Jim Corsi, who won a World Series with the Oakland A's in 1989 and pitched three seasons for his hometown Boston Red Sox, has passed away.

Well I feel old as dirt today. I have a new Case manager. And he is from Atlanta. I told him I had been to Atlanta and while I was there a friends dad got a few tickets to the World Series game between the Yankees and Braves. I said to him "Man what a great series. What did you think about it?" he says "I think that was 6 months before I was born. OUCH!.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Pitcher Jon Lester, who won three World Series as a member of my Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs, has retired. SI.com's Tom Verducci wrote a great appreciation of his career.

And let's not forget that after surviving cancer, he three a no-hitter.

Congratulations on a great career and enjoy retirement Jon!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Pitcher Jon Lester, who won three World Series as a member of my Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs, has retired. SI.com's Tom Verducci wrote a great appreciation of his career.

And let's not forget that after surviving cancer, he three a no-hitter.

Congratulations on a great career and enjoy retirement Jon!
    That last bit was the most awesome to me.

Extraordinary Member

BTW, the two sides are meeting today; cross your fingers they make some big progress.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    BTW, the two sides are meeting today; cross your fingers they make some big progress.
    Indeed. Teams usually start reporting to Florida and Arizona about a month from now.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    It will be progress if it lasts longer than 10 minutes, which is how long their last meeting lasted before both sides walked out. And neither side considers the start of spring training an actual deadline they need to worry about, so I doubt that figures at all in the negotiation timetable. The only hard deadline they are concerned with is the start of the regular season and both sides view spring training as mostly unnecessary and expendable, thinking a 2 week ramp up will be enough, so I doubt we see any real concessions or progress until mid-February at the earliest. Until then it will be a lot of grandstanding and casting shade on the other side in the press.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It will be progress if it lasts longer than 10 minutes, which is how long their last meeting lasted before both sides walked out. And neither side considers the start of spring training an actual deadline they need to worry about, so I doubt that figures at all in the negotiation timetable. The only hard deadline they are concerned with is the start of the regular season and both sides view spring training as mostly unnecessary and expendable, thinking a 2 week ramp up will be enough, so I doubt we see any real concessions or progress until mid-February at the earliest. Until then it will be a lot of grandstanding and casting shade on the other side in the press.

-M
    From what I saw on the ESPN scrawl, the players weren't moved by the latest proposal from the owners today.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    From what I saw on the ESPN scrawl, the players weren't moved by the latest proposal from the owners today.
    Yeah from all accounts if the owner's proposal moved the needle at all, it was in the wrong direction as it ignored two of the player's biggest must haves for the new deal. We won't know for certain until we see the player's proposal (and it seems how long they wait to make the counterproposal is a measure of how unhappy they were with this offer) and how hard they dig in on those issues and if they accept any part of what the owners proposed. But it's believed the players will wait at least two weeks to make the counter proposal, which pretty much means there's little chance that reporting dates for spring training will happen as scheduled.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato