Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default The Characters That Will Break Out and Those Who Won't...

The X-MEN will soon be a part of the MCU, so looking back at what's happened already in the MCU, what do you see coming next? Which characters do you think will break out and which ones will not?

Give your top 5 of characters you think WILL break out (and your reasons why) and those who won't (with your reasons why). You can give honorable and dishonorable mentions and also name ONE Wildcard. A character you see being a bust or a hit at the same time.

BREAKOUTS:

1. STORM: Like Wolverine, I see her getting the most airtime, but I still think an amazing STORM movie can set the MCU on fire and reach out to people who don't even care about the MCU/XMEN.
    2. EMMA: For the same reason that she is used so much in the current comics, I see her translating rather well on screen. People either will HATE her or LOVE her. And that just makes her that much more compelling.
    3. ROGUE: A total b*d*ss in her own right. She can be extremely appealing as a complicated and lovable character.
    4. MAGIK: Again, a breakout character who can carry her own franchise.
    5. ICEMAN: Iceman is basically a gay Spider Man. Written well, he can definitely break out

Honorable Mentions: Nightcrawler, Sunspot, Gambit, Moonstar, Monet, Laura and Bishop

HARD PATHS AHEAD:

1. CYCLOPS: What role would he fill? The Mutant Captain America? Unless they eventually take him the more radical route (my favorite and biased version of him), he might just come off as a second-rate Cpt. America.
    2. BETSY BRADDOCK: Without the Psylocke identity, she might just be ignored. Unless a Cpt. Britain series takes off.
    3. HAVOK: Blah. Biased opinion.
    4. RACHEL: Unless they make Kate fluid, Rachel's role will most likely be replaced.
    5. ANGEL: Useless as Angel, fits a limited story as Archangel.

WILDCARD:

1. BEAST: Will he be lovable Beast or will we just hate his guts? You never know.

What are your opinions?
    Last edited by RamaBird; 11-16-2021 at 07:56 PM.

Hellion. He's charismatic, has attitude and sports a cool power. General audiences will love him.

TAKE THE HINT, MARVEL.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Mighty Member

Unfortunately, I see most of the NEW X-MEN (except Laura) as having a hard road ahead, but maybe a Helion, or a Pixie, Armor, Surge, Bling or a Windancer can break through.

All-New Member

Breakouts

01. Storm. MCU version is gonna be like TAS.
    02. Emma Frost. Unique, good dialogues, has to start as a villain. Not easy to cast.
    03. Nightcrawler. Cool powers. His scenes in X2 were amazing.
    04. Multiple Man. He is gonna be the “Rocket/Groot” of the franchise. Peter David version. Original powers, multiple personalities. He can be introduced in the movies but be the main character of a Disney+ series centered on X-Factor Investigations. No Layla, please.
    05. Magneto. Difficult to make a mistake with this character. Previous actors were excellent but I trust Feige.

Hard paths ahead

01. Rachel Summers. Confusing for the common audience.
    02. Longshot. Confusing story, outdated looks.
    03. Betsy Braddock. Kwannon’s visual is much more recognizable. Another white female telepath in a franchise that has Emma and Jean.
    04. Lockheed. Confusing. The main theme “human vs mutant” is strong, I don’t know how they are going to add a dragon/alien.
    05. Lila Cheney. They will prefer Dazzler. Similar.
    Last edited by Madrox; 11-16-2021 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Grammar

I have a good feeling about Scott in the new MCU. Lots of ways to write him without making him Captain America 2.0 especially since they are very different to begin with.

I do agree with you regarding Storm and Emma though. They are pretty much primed to break out if they are adapted. Could see both of them headlining their own Disney+ series. Rogue and Gambit could do well since I really think their relationship would be a nice spark if they put it on screen

I would invest all my money and resources to make NIGHTCRAWLER happen in the MCU. His design and personality is just so perfect for young adults if done right. He's like a mix of Spider-Man and Baby Yoda with cool super powers and a design that will sell toys like hot cakes...

But I guess we live in a boring predictable world, so Wolverine will be again the center of attention. Storm will be a close second. There is a lot of love for the character in the world and it is time to make her really shine.

Mystique and Destiny could be HUGE if done more faithfully. Hopefully Disney has the balls to do LGBTQ+ characters justice by the time mutants are introduced in the MCU.

Scott could break out if he is portrayed as the more radical foil to Captain America and the Avengers.

Rogue’s (or a mutant with a similar “cursed power”) needs to be a valid talking point, despite its treatment (and, IMO, mistreatment in X3) in the previous FoX-Men films. Rogue’s POV just lends to be the…less offensive, and arguably the most “defensible”…these days.

If a Rogue-centric POV (not necessarily Rogue herself, but that would be awesome given the cross-over capability) isn’t presented and represented well immediately, my hopes are quashed.

Extraordinary Member

Storm, Rogue, and Magneto broke out decades ago. They've been heavily featured in pretty much every piece of X-Men media since the 90s cartoon launched. The MCU could ignore them entirely and they'd still be household names.

Magik would easily breakout if they wrote a comics-accurate version. I'm worried that either the deserved terrible reception of the New Mutants movie will turn Disney off from using the character or that they'll make the same mistakes that movie did and write her as Illyana in name only. It's actually very easy to get her right, but I've learned to never underestimate Hollywood's ability to mess up even the simplest of concepts or characters.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Are talking comics, or movies here?

As in comics, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Xavier, Jean, Wolverine and more already are A-listers, so they do not break out if you are already there at the top.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post

As in comics, Storm, Cyclops, Rogue, Xavier, Jean, Wolverine and more already are A-listers, so they do not break out if you are already there at the top.
    It's about the MCU

I think this is finally Rain Boy's chance to shine.

I think and i want

Emma Frost: The Femme version of Stark. The snarky comments the things needs to be done woman.
    Rogue: Because i freaking luv her. and she could be the "Xmen Scarlet Witch" role model type again.
    Storm: Obviously she deserve her own movie. The first female african american super hero movie.

Astonishing Member

Picking the obvious choices for winners and losers feels boring. So i just throw some oddball choices with wild guesses at the wall.

Break outs:

Longshot:
    They give him a slightly modified version of his original design, diving headfirst into 80's aesthetic with no shame what so ever. Infact his entire presentation will involve invoking art and style of 80's fantasy/sci-fi movies ala Krull.
    The character is a veteran traveler of the Marvel Multiverse, revealing it to have existed even while the TVA maintained the sacred timeline. Also introduces Mojo, presented as maniac but serious villain, who's madness and actions are as menancing as they are laughable in pettyness and reasons.

Dazzler:
    They pick an actress of color and actualy have her be a disco diva from the 70's, returning her to her prototype design, but also make her a person out of time to maintain said origin in present day.
    She met Longshot in 1979 after her first album failed and decided to travel with him for a while. However the TVA disconnected their dimensional string from her Earth (the MCU one), leaving her stranded in the multiverse for 4 years, only able to return to Earth after it had been reconnected to the multiverse in 2021.

Unlike popular clichès of people unable to let go of their disco era past, she is highly aware of all the problems in the USA during the 70's and that the disco culture wasn't all drug highs and sunshine, giving her a balanced outlook towards her past. Furthermore she finds joy in all the genres of music which evolved from disco in present day. Also admits to having a liking for punk music (connecting her somewhat to her Ultimate version) including confusing the Avengers for the band of the same name.

She wasn't in the New Mutants movie. So there is little baggage from the FOX X-men movie era, allowing the MCU free reign in how to introduce and use her.

An asian LGBTQ+ character with subtile yet highly expandable powers and plenty of comicbook history to draw elements for her MCU version from, there is a lot they could do with her.

Toad:
    Building up on the first X-men movie. This version of Toad is presented as highly capable martial artist, with super human movement abilities and several tricks up his sleeve. Capable of going one on one with a super soldier or humanoid "advanced" aliens.

However he gets a much more expanded chararacter and talks more.
    A natural right hand man, he is introduced as capable co-leader of the Brotherhood of Mutants and it's leader (Mystique, Magneto, etc.). Aware of his evil deeds, but also believing in the Brotherhood's cause, his absolute loyality stands towards his fellow mutants above all else, to the point where he is willing to team up with heros if it means protecting innocent mutants.

Also remarkable well adjusted to his appearance issues (hunched posture and skin conditions) making sardonic jokes about it.

Forge:
    They make sure not to make him another Tony Stark or Doctor Strange, by having him be humble, friendly and a team player from the start. Also burdened by a life of hardship , experience in armed conflicts and having worked for shady government agencies, making him more down to earth. Neverless highly confident in his skills and abilities.

Introduced as counterpoint to the more "absent minded professor" that is Reed Richards, the energetic young Peter Parker and the insufferable genius that was Tony Stark, Forge is the X-men's creator of impressive gadgets but constantly tinkering and trying to understand his inventions out of fear they might go haywire, to the point where he is relunctant to hand them out (even if it makes him different from the comic version).

A multi-layered native american super hero with faults and failures to his strengths.

Hard Paths Ahead:

Storm:
    Just like the comics, the movie writers might not be sure what to do with her. She is too widely known and popular to leave her out, but she got too many power and ability upgrades in the comics (which people will keep harping about regardless of how her MCU version is presented) to write believable fights around that, so she might one again ends up just being filler material.

Still has a good chance with the right writers though.

Kid Omega:
    Appears a lot in the comics since Morrison, but i have a hard time finding many readers who actualy like him or want to see him as much as he appears. The MCU writers might feel the same way and he becomes reduced to a one-shot backround appearance as random enemy or victim.

Jean Grey:
    She is famous for dying at the end of being posssed by something that made her powers go nuts. That's what people primarily remember about her. Everything is else is overshadowed by it and the storyline has been done twice in movies (and trice in cartoons).

While there is obviously more to her in the comics, it's not what is popular associated with her, so using her in the MCU might end up too much effort for too little reward. Which means she will likely get skipped over in favor of more interesting and lesser used female X-men characters.

Apocalypse:
    Between his FOX movie and running the danger of ending up looking like a cheap Thanos clone. Plus too unspecific (what ever the plots wants) powers. He might be ignored to focus on lesser used grand mutant villains.

Unus The Untouchable:
    A whole generation of movie goers has rescently been introduced to the weaknesses of personal force field shields. He might end up defeated as reference to Dune and to showcase one of the heros having read the book.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Storm, Rogue, and Magneto broke out decades ago. They've been heavily featured in pretty much every piece of X-Men media since the 90s cartoon launched. The MCU could ignore them entirely and they'd still be household names.
    Ooh def disagree with this. Magneto broke out cause the movies did him well but Storm and Rogue, if anything, were broken IN, both portrayals were horrid.

MCU/Movies/TVSeries only. I'd say from past movies only: Wolverine, Magneto, Xavier have broken out since they were loved by critics and fans. I guess you could add Mystique to that?