Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A great book about History of DC comics?

Looking for a recommendation for a great book written about the History of DC comics. Either an overall history, or about a particular era in DC's long history.

Any rec's?

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Looking for a recommendation for a great book written about the History of DC comics. Either an overall history, or about a particular era in DC's long history.

Any rec's?
    Two books, literally called the History of DC Universe and the other history of the dc universe.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Les Daniels' book Sixty Years of DC Comics is a good overview of DC's history...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Any rec's?
    Are you looking for content history, as in "a book about the comics" or "behind the scenes" history?
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Are you looking for content history, as in "a book about the comics" or "behind the scenes" history?
    Definitely behind the scenes. I want to hear about them dealing with the competition, editor/creator drama, editorial decisions on cancelations/reboots, dealing with the direct market, etc.

Amazing Member

Definitely behind the scenes. I want to hear about them dealing with the competition, editor/creator drama, editorial decisions on cancelations/reboots, dealing with the direct market, etc.
    "The American Comic Book Chronicles" is one I recommend. Unfortunately its hard to get a copy of the whole line on Amazon. Plus it covers the whole American comic book industry than specifically DC but its shockingly extremely detailed. I especially recommend the 90s one as it just becomes a mesmerizing abyss into the story of the direct market.

https://twomorrows.com/index.php?mai...526aae7ce2be37

Extraordinary Member

Any rec's?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Okay, that's harder. But:

Quote Originally Posted by GokaiBlack077 View Post
    "The American Comic Book Chronicles" is one I recommend. Unfortunately its hard to get a copy of the whole line on Amazon. Plus it covers the whole American comic book industry than specifically DC but its shockingly extremely detailed. I especially recommend the 90s one as it just becomes a mesmerizing abyss into the story of the direct market.

https://twomorrows.com/index.php?mai...526aae7ce2be37
    This one is a good recommendation. There are some "companions" out there, like "The Flash Companion" by Keith Dallas that'll give you lots of behind the scenes drama, yet all of those are usually franchise specific. There's also some documentaries out there, if that's your vibe as well (I'd have to check the name of those later, sorry).
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Spectacular Member

The book about the DC Implosion of the 70s is very good

https://twomorrows.com/index.php?mai...oducts_id=1374

Not books per se, but some of the TwoMorrows magazines on comic history might have stuff up your alley, particularly Alter Ego or Back Issue. The interviews and articles explore comics history and creator histories and perspectives form various eras and publishers, but there is a lot of in depth DC content in some issues. For instance this issue looks has a pretty in depth interview with Jeanette Khan about her time at Dc and looks at the hows and whys of some of her decisions, plus another article on the birth of the Vertigo line...

However, if you are looking for the DC equivalent of Sean Howe's Marvel Comics The Untold Story, such a book hasn't been written yet. That said, Reed Tucker's Slugfest: Inside the Epic 50 Year Battle Between Marvel and Dc might have some material to interest you...

there's also Paul Levitz's trilogy of books about the eras of DC Comics (The Golden Age, The Silver Age, The Bronze Age) but those probably have less behind the scenes stuff and are more of a nostalgic overview of the eras.

you can also look at some behind the scenes stuff about particular creators who were important to DC's history

Bill Finger

Sigel and Shuster

Superboys: The Amazing Adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster

Boys of Steel

Joe Shuster: The Artist Behind Superman

If you are looking for a more general history of comics and behind the scenes looks at various creators and the business as a whole, I highly recommend Shop Talk, a series of interviews conducted by Will Eisner with various creators. One, the interview with Phil Seuling, looks at his rationale, thought and theory in trying to establish the direct market for comics, which has a lot of that kind of behind the scenes stuff you are looking for.

Freed Van Lente's Comic Book History of Comics also has a lot of that kind of stuff about the various eras of comics and has some DC-related content of that type.

In that vein, Steranko's History of Comic Books might also have material of interest but isn't specifically about DC Comics.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I'd recommend Grant Morrison's SuperGods.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Les Daniels' book Sixty Years of DC Comics is a good overview of DC's history...

-M
    Second this recommendation! I've read this book cover to cover probably 4-5 times since it was released - great stuff!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'd suggest:
    75 of DC COMICS
    Written Paul Levitz.
    I found this in the bookstore years ago, and couldn't buy it as it was $250.00.
    But it is an IMPRESSIVE tome!!

https://13thdimension.com/mighty-qa-paul-levitz/

Les Daniels' 60 Years of DC Comics is a great read and infinitely more affordable!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Retired

I have a lot of books on the history of comics, but let me first narrow it down to a few of the ones I have on Detective Comics, Inc. (a.k.a National Comics, a.k.a. National Periodical Publications).

I have a soft cover of DC COMICS: A CELEBRATION OF THE WORLD'S FAVORITE COMIC BOOK HEROES (2003, Billboard Books) by Les Daniels. This seems to correspond to the hardcover that others have mentioned--but mine has an Alex Ross cover. Of the overviews I'll mention here, this is one that I probably check out most often, although it doesn't go in depth as much as I'd like. But it's a handy volume to peruse.

On the opposite end of the scale, by weight, is 75 YEARS OF DC COMICS: THE ART OF MODERN MYTHMAKING (2010, Taschen) by Paul Levitz. I have that one in the box it came in, sitting on its side on a shelf. It's such a massive tome that I don't want to handle it. I've looked through it a few times, but it's unwieldy. I would have been better off getting the slimmer (though still heavy) books that it spawned. As an idea for a book it's impressive, but unless you're an Olympic level weight-lifter it's impractical.

Much more convenient is DC COMICS: YEAR BY YEAR, A VISUAL CHRONICLE (2010, DK Publishing) by various. This is a hardcover that comes in its own slipcase. It has pages on every year from 1935 through 2010. It's heavy, but not too heavy, and pretty easy to use. If you want a comprehensive book on the publisher that goes up to 2010, this is probably the one you want to have.

Perhaps my favourite book is THE DC VAULT (2008, Bunning Press) by Martin Pasko. This is a real treat. It's a hardcover in binder form with pages and pages of facsimiles from the publisher over the years. It's a marvel to explore--your own personal archaeology. But because of that, I don't use it too much, because I don't want to wreck the pages. There was a follow up called THE BATMAN VAULT, which I also own.

Specific to the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s is THE GOLDEN AGE OF DC COMICS--365 DAYS by Les Daniels, Chipp Kidd, Geoff Spears (2004, Harry N. Abrams, Inc.). This is a calendar-like hardcover that has an entry for a different subject each day of the year, accompanied by panels scanned from the original comics. It's a brick, but relatively compact in size and easy to handle. However, it's all over the map in terms of chronology and subject matter.

One of my favourite Christmas presents from my youth is SECRETS ORIGINS OF THE SUPER DC HEROES (1976, Warner Books), introduction by Carmine Infantino; text edited by Dennis O'Neil. This is light on prose, but reprints the origin stories for Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Green Arrow, the Atom, Captain Marvel, Plastic Man--with both the originals (1930s or 1940s) and the more modern versions (1950s or 1960s or 1970s), excepting Cap and Plas that only have their 1940s origin stories.

Oldies but goodies: for general histories of comics, including our favourite publisher, these books I have and like to read--ALL IN COLOR FOR A DIME (1970, Ace Books), THE COMIC BOOK BOOK (1973, Arlington House), THE STERANKO HISTORY OF COMICS 1 & 2 (1970 & 1972, Supergraphics), THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES by Jules Feiffer (1965, Bonanza Books), RON GOULART'S GREAT HISTORY OF COMIC BOOKS (1986, Contemporary Books, Inc.).

(Dis)honourable mention: SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT by Fredric Wertham, M.D. (originally published 1954; my edition 2004, Main Road Books, Inc.). Yes, this book did a lot of damage to the comics industry, but it's possibly the first book on the history of comic books. From that angle, it's full of information about the industry and well worth reading. Just ignore Wertham's agenda in writing the book.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 11-18-2021 at 10:22 AM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    On the opposite end of the scale, by weight, is 75 YEARS OF DC COMICS: THE ART OF MODERN MYTHMAKING (2010, Taschen) by Paul Levitz. I have that one in the box it came in, sitting on its side on a shelf. It's such a massive tome that I don't want to handle it. I've looked through it a few times, but it's unwieldy. I would have been better off getting the slimmer (though still heavy) books that it spawned. As an idea for a book it's impressive, but unless you're an Olympic level weight-lifter it's impractical.
    I bought the 3 smaller Gold/Silver/Bronze Age books that they broke this monster down into, but the last 2 (that I was most looking forward to!) were canceled. So I'm still in the market for a decent priced copy of the original.

Much more convenient is DC COMICS: YEAR BY YEAR, A VISUAL CHRONICLE (2010, DK Publishing) by various. This is a hardcover that comes in its own slipcase. It has pages on every year from 1935 through 2010. It's heavy, but not too heavy, and pretty easy to use. If you want a comprehensive book on the publisher that goes up to 2010, this is probably the one you want to have.
    Forgot I have this one too; love the beautiful Ryan Sook cover and prints that came with it! I want to say DK has re-released it a couple of times since 2010. Or am I thinking of their Encyclopedias...?
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES