Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Marvel is expecting this issue to dramatically increase sales of New Mutants. The delays likely have to do with that. The solicitation for the issue specifically calls it a jumping-on point, and they're going out of their way to have the story focus on the book's most marketable character for the first time since the book launched 2 years ago. If the speculation that Magik is going to be the next sorcerer supreme turns out to be true, that's another factor which should increase sales of the book going forward. It makes sense that Marvel would want to ensure there would be enough supply for a book they've got such expectations for, and if issue 25 and the ensuing arc don't dramatically increase sales then it's safe to assume New Mutants would be cancelled soon after.

This delay is putting off people from buying New Mutants instead of boosting sales.

Soon, most people would have forgotten what they read in previous NM issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    This delay is putting off people from buying New Mutants instead of boosting sales.

That matters less when it's the start of a new arc where reading the previous 24 issues is not required at all, which is what they seem to be trying to do. A clean break to get new readers on board. In that scenario delaying the first issue so that later issues don't have to be delayed is the better option to ensure the new readers stick around, and it gives them more time to market the new storyarc if they're willing to put in the effort.

Marvel is expecting this issue to dramatically increase sales of New Mutants. The delays likely have to do with that. The solicitation for the issue specifically calls it a jumping-on point, and they're going out of their way to have the story focus on the book's most marketable character for the first time since the book launched 2 years ago. If the speculation that Magik is going to be the next sorcerer supreme turns out to be true, that's another factor which should increase sales of the book going forward. It makes sense that Marvel would want to ensure there would be enough supply for a book they've got such expectations for, and if issue 25 and the ensuing arc don't dramatically increase sales then it's safe to assume New Mutants would be cancelled soon after.
    The marketing of this post-Hickman era is actually so all over the place. Some books just seem to be continuing like X-Men and New Mutants (which like you said is using this as a jumping on point). Marauders is getting a new creative team and annual. Then we have a one shot with Secret X-Men. Way of X seems to be relaunching with the same creative team, but a new name.

I’m not saying all-new #1s across the board, but any semblance of a consistent direction would do a lot to get fans excited (or at least less nervous) for the future of the line.

I lost track… is this after the Shadow King story? Just wanted to make sure I had a clean “jumping off” point. I want to see the end of the Shadow King story, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I lost track… is this after the Shadow King story? Just wanted to make sure I had a clean “jumping off” point. I want to see the end of the Shadow King story, though.
    23 is in December and seems to be the conclusion of the shadow king arc, and 24 is pushed to February and seems to be the epilogue of the shadow king arc. (Though the solicit says there's set up for the next arc in that one.)
    Last edited by Nazrel; 11-18-2021 at 06:49 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That matters less when it's the start of a new arc where reading the previous 24 issues is not required at all, which is what they seem to be trying to do. A clean break to get new readers on board. In that scenario delaying the first issue so that later issues don't have to be delayed is the better option to ensure the new readers stick around, and it gives them more time to market the new storyarc if they're willing to put in the effort.
    ...and it will only put off those readers who were already of a mind to be put off...who might think it's not worth the wait.
    Not me. I'm disappointed I have a bit longer to wait for my Goblin Queen but...still eagerly awaiting its release whenever it comes.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 11-18-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

So does that mean the relaunch will hopefully start the first week of April?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    So does that mean the relaunch will hopefully start the first week of April?
    Do you mean the relaunch of the line? I honestly don't think it's a standard relaunch where every book gets new creative teams, #1s, or even new directions at the same time. I could be wrong but in interviews I feel like they even referred to it as a "restructuring" and not a relaunch, so atp I'm not expecting a ton of fanfare and I think we'll just see the gradual release of new titles.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Do you mean the relaunch of the line? I honestly don't think it's a standard relaunch where every book gets new creative teams, #1s, or even new directions at the same time. I could be wrong but in interviews I feel like they even referred to it as a "restructuring" and not a relaunch, so atp I'm not expecting a ton of fanfare and I think we'll just see the gradual release of new titles.
    You'ld think that Marvel would've learned it's lesson about releasing half-baked "NEW" titles like X-Corp and the rest. At least one would hope so.

Incredible Member

If people attention spans are that short,then no great loss.

Maybe that's a good thing. The Shadow King arc wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

LMAO. The really, really funny thing is the book was at some point supposed to be about disfranchised, ignored mutant youth.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post

I would have preferred the New Mutants get a new creative team.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's right there on your shelf or in your box or on the digital app...even if you are truly invested but your memory is non-existent you can always re-read the material. It doesn't just disappear into the ether never to be seen again.

That's one of many plusses of buying, reading only the books you like/love...you want to re-read them and enjoy them.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

I would have preferred the New Mutants get a new creative team.
    If you so dislike the book as it is, do yourself and the rest of us a favor and quit reading it. Stop acting like someone's holding a gun to your head and threatening to pull the trigger if you don't.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 11-19-2021 at 07:55 AM.