Default Question about power hierarchy in MU

When it comes to power levels and capabilities in marvel which is higher than the other in general, magical beings (shuma, chthon, cyttorak etc) or cosmic entities (galactus, phoenix force, beyonder etc)? I'm not asking about any specific character but in average. Has marvel ever answered this or is the distinction more blurred than I think?

Cosmic always felt grander in scale but magical beings tend to have situational stuff like being stronger in their own realm. They might not be that far removed from each other. Strange has tangled with abstracts a lot, one of his more recent runs had galactus eating a bunch of magical dimensions. The living tribunal even debuted in a strange story. I'd give the edge to cosmic.

Astonishing Member

Generally I'd go for cosmic, especially the top end abstracts like eternity, death, or above

But I do recall seeing the vishanti being described as the mystic realms version of death, eternity and Galactus (iirc, it might have been oblivion) so I think in their native realms or dimensions it's different

Certainly Odin seems to be on par with Galactus in Asgard, but was easily bested by celestials hosts,

I do recall Zom fleeing from the possibility of meeting the tribunal who's power was described as easily surpassing its own

I think the cosmic beings that are actually incarnate as opposed to abstracts are fairly similar to mystic beings, and the high end abstracts are above all of that

The stranger and Pluto once fought in Pluto's realm and Pluto himself said it was only because he could draw on his realms power that he could endure the fight, conversely agamotto was equalling Galactus in his own realm

Then you have things like rune king thor or ultimate sky father Hercules who recrafted the universe after the chaos war

Either way it's a good question

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The One Above All is… above all

Living Tribunal is next

Ideally, and this is my headcanon:

The four main abstracts should be next: Eternity, Infinity, Death, Oblivion

Lord Chaos and Master Order. Their agent In-Betweener is below them.

Below them should be lesser abstracts like Love and Hate, plus physical/quasi-physical beings like Galactus, the Celestials, the Watchers, Elders of the Universe, and the most power magical and psionic entities

Old Ones, and elder gods and demons and intermediate magical entities.

Skyfathers and lesser demons and magical entities.

I'm not sure whether the Beyonders as individuals are above Eternity level. They took down LT but it was collective if I recall correctly.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    When it comes to power levels and capabilities in marvel which is higher than the other in general, magical beings (shuma, chthon, cyttorak etc) or cosmic entities (galactus, phoenix force, beyonder etc)? I'm not asking about any specific character but in average. Has marvel ever answered this or is the distinction more blurred than I think?
    From a purely philosophical standpoint, if TOAA is indeed the chief supreme entity in all of Marvel, then it's probably a safe bet that the distinction between the Cosmic and the Mystical reflects more the inability of sentient creatures to truly comprehend what TOAA is and what He/She/It has created than anything else.

That said, in my years of reading Marvel Comics, it's been pretty clear that the Cosmic trumps the Mystical, even though there are times when it seems like there are an endless number of mystical beings with powers and feats that far surpass cosmic beings.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    The One Above All is… above all

Living Tribunal is next

Ideally, and this is my headcanon:

The four main abstracts should be next: Eternity, Infinity, Death, Oblivion

Lord Chaos and Master Order. Their agent In-Betweener is below them.

Below them should be lesser abstracts like Love and Hate, plus physical/quasi-physical beings like Galactus, the Celestials, the Watchers, Elders of the Universe, and the most power magical and psionic entities

Old Ones, and elder gods and demons and intermediate magical entities.

Skyfathers and lesser demons and magical entities.

I'm not sure whether the Beyonders as individuals are above Eternity level. They took down LT but it was collective if I recall correctly.
    Oddly enough, we came to know many of the cosmic beings you list because of Dr. Strange, a mystical character. That includes Eternity and the Living Tribunal. In fact, it's gotten lost in the shuffle over the years, but the Living Tribunal's primary task was to ensure that there was never an imbalance of mystical power.