Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    Finally getting back on track! The Morbius 2 parter frankly was not good. I question the decision making process between launching Ben as Spidey then not moving his character forward at all. When Beyond and the 3x monthly were announced as we were told it's because the story needed serious momentum. The last 3 issues with Beyond branding have not demonstrated that need and in fact tanked the momentum of the story. I can't for life of me understand who thought it was a good idea burn 2 issues running in place and not advancing the story of Ben, Peter or basically any character we care about. I get the Daughters are someone's pet characters but maybe do anything to make readers want to see them get more focus before y'know, giving them the majority of it.
    My feeling is Thompson was brought on board, had her own ideas she wanted to go with, and no one else wanted to seriously push back on her due to the optics of a male editor questioning a female writer’s story choices (especially since it was only 2 issues). It didn’t help that Pichelli’s art was just… not good. If the art was better, the 2-parter would’ve been a bit more palatable.

Anyway, onward and upward. This next installment looks great from the preview.

Writing is DEFINITELY better here. This is the Ben Reilly I remember. Last issue (Well the spin off) had him training to learn something about his Spider-Sense that he should have known within his first year. Here, he does something reminiscent of Peter overriding Tony's override on the Iron Spider suit. It serves to remind us that Ben is still highly intelligent and...well....Spider-Man.

Also glad to see Ben and MJ have patched things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura Blaize View Post
    Also glad to see Ben and MJ have patched things up.
    Wonder if it's gonna last, this BND method of changing writers every few issues makes it really blatant when they change writers, and I'm wondering if MJ will be a bitch to Ben again once Wells is back lol.

Bah, another issue where Spider Man is sidelined to show us how "awesome" other characters are. The Daughters of the Dragon can be awesome in the right kind of story, mind you, but a Spider Man story where they beat the protagonist just to make clear they are good doesn't give them any credit.

Astonishing Member

Read #79. Cody Ziglar knocks it out of the park. Honestly surprised, as I didn’t know about him and wasn’t expecting much. But it’s a REALLY solid issue and all the characters act as they should. Kraven sounds like Kraven again, so I can only assume the weird way he talked at the end of the previous issue was Thompson’s work. Anyway, both the writing and art was both as good, or at least almost as good as the Wells/Gleason issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Read #79. Cody Ziglar knocks it out of the park. Honestly surprised, as I didn’t know about him and wasn’t expecting much. But it’s a REALLY solid issue and all the characters act as they should. Kraven sounds like Kraven again, so I can only assume the weird way he talked at the end of the previous issue was Thompson’s work. Anyway, both the writing and art was both as good, or at least almost as good as the Wells/Gleason issues.
    Spoilers please.I can guess the ending but highlight of the issues and general layout, etc

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Spoilers please.I can guess the ending but highlight of the issues and general layout, etc
    spoilers:
    Ben is portrayed as competent, intelligent, sensitive to what Peter and MJ are going through, and more suspicious of Beyond. Kraven is portrayed in-character and cunning. Ben is tricked at the end by him and gets a bit battle-damaged, so some people might complain about that in light of him getting beaten by Morbius in Thompson’s issues, but here it makes a lot more sense as Kraven laid more traps than a Home Alone kid. There’s some good action scenes and some good dialogue too. No cringe scenes with Daughters of the Dragon either. The art is also great. I think I still prefer Gleason a bit, but this would be just a notch below. It is mostly a set-up issue, so there’s nothing epic. But it’s a good set-up.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

spoilers:
    Ben is portrayed as competent, intelligent, sensitive to what Peter and MJ are going through, and more suspicious of Beyond. Kraven is portrayed in-character and cunning. Ben is tricked at the end by him and gets a bit battle-damaged, so some people might complain about that in light of him getting beaten by Morbius in Thompson’s issues, but here it makes a lot more sense as Kraven laid more traps than a Home Alone kid. There’s some good action scenes and some good dialogue too. No cringe scenes with Daughters of the Dragon either. The art is also great. I think I still prefer Gleason a bit, but this would be just a notch below. It is mostly a set-up issue, so there’s nothing epic. But it’s a good set-up.
    end of spoilers
    Thanks a lot, can't wait

Also the home alone kid is nigh omniscient so that's high praise

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Thanks a lot, can't wait

Also the home alone kid is nigh omniscient so that's high praise
    Yup when Peter comes back he needs to stop wearing cloth suits. Cause this run is making a point to see how mess up Ben suit can get with each battle
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yup when Peter comes back he needs to stop wearing cloth suits. Cause this run is making a point to see how mess up Ben suit can get with each battle
    Been saying this for ages, if they make him a special suit like the stealth one it won't last.Just incorporate the tech into classic suit.

Then again so many of Peter's fights are already having him nerfed.Not just in all physical aspects, in smarts(intellectual and combat) and his webs as well.Give him a tech upgrade and they'll have to ignore all his tech as well or nerf it.

They need to up his usual villain caliber by quite a bit

An improvement over past issues. The characters acted more like themselves and Ben wasn't written as a rookie.

I wonder if they'll keep the clone theme running with Kraven Jr. being a duplicate or if they're just gonna treat him as the original.

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Pretty solid issue, safely beats Wells' intro IMO.

The one issue I see is the suit. They hyped it as being able to go toe to toe with Hulk level threats but everyone's making short work of it. Even if they try to say "hey, Morbius is stronger because Beyond messed with him!" or whatever, just having it look like this actual armor but that in the end it's the same as cloth is weak, regardless if they try to "justify" why it's giving out so easily.

Regardless, ending on that note might sound like I didn't enjoy it which is pretty far from the truth. That's basically the Ben (and MJ) I recognize.
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Astonishing Member

Yes, it doesn’t seem the same suit from the Wells 2-parter that took out the U-Foes. For example, why doesn’t Ben just release one of those robotic spinnerets to subdue Kraven like he did Peter? And this is the second time in as many issues that Ben has essentially been poisoned by an enemy. But despite all that, I’m it was a strong first issue from this writer that I didn’t know and wasn’t expecting a whole lot from since he’s pretty much only written some TV show scripts before.

BANNED

Yes, it doesn’t seem the same suit from the Wells 2-parter that took out the U-Foes. For example, why doesn’t Ben just release one of those robotic spinnerets to subdue Kraven like he did Peter? And this is the second time in as many issues that Ben has essentially been poisoned by an enemy. But despite all that, I’m it was a strong first issue from this writer that I didn’t know and wasn’t expecting a whole lot from since he’s pretty much only written some TV show scripts before.
    They must have awful deadlines due to Spencer dipping out because you can see how unplanned this arc is. To debut with the new suit and Beyond tech allowing Ben to get the jump on Pete and then take down the U Foes (frustratingly off panel) and then have Ben and the suit prove basically useless against Morbius, Kraven, and the Daughters of the Dragon, all opponents way less dangerous than the U Foes is a choice I don't understand.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC View Post
    They must have awful deadlines due to Spencer dipping out because you can see how unplanned this arc is. To debut with the new suit and Beyond tech allowing Ben to get the jump on Pete and then take down the U Foes (frustratingly off panel) and then have Ben and the suit prove basically useless against Morbius, Kraven, and the Daughters of the Dragon, all opponents way less dangerous than the U Foes is a choice I don't understand.
    They had to write like 2 issues tbf, if this was a one or two writer job I'd agree but 2 issues per writer isn't a lot.Specially since they Beyond was being talked about at Marvel last december or something(They did say when in an interview but I'm not 100% on if Last december is accurate).

That Peter encounter was classic "the new one is better than the old one" thing they all do for some reason.Yeah severely damaged Peter broke out of all4 of Ock's carbonadium arms w/ no leverage but can't break something they felt would have trouble holding morbius.I'm aware it's a very high end feat for Peter, my point is that's not how you'd want to write one of your "leads" and was only for propping up your new lead.Works ig but cheap, specially when you never use it again when you're getting your butt handed to you.

Really hope they actually upgrade the suit back to what it looked like it would be at the start.