Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Niffleheim

I love how Dawson looks but I still don't like the way she is playing the role (and to be honest that could have been corrected by better directing and editing all the pauses and glances she throws in all her scenes to hide what is lacking in writing)
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I love how Dawson looks but I still don't like the way she is playing the role (and to be honest that could have been corrected by better directing and editing all the pauses and glances she throws in all her scenes to hide what is lacking in writing)
    My biggest criticism of the show is that its clearly mostly the structure and narrative of a single movie stretched across a tv show, rather than a story for multiple movies told in a TV show. They compensate by creating extra spectacle for every episode, but its clear that several of the arcs and narrative could be conveyed quicker and are designed to occupy only about five minutes of screentime rather than 20 minutes or so.

Like, Ahsoka doesn't have a tv show length character arc, but a movie one, and Baylan still hasn't explained what his goals are, likely because both originated in more of a movie script, and we've just injected some steroids into the actions scenes to stretch stuff out (like Marrok.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    My biggest criticism of the show is that its clearly mostly the structure and narrative of a single movie stretched across a tv show, rather than a story for multiple movies told in a TV show. They compensate by creating extra spectacle for every episode, but its clear that several of the arcs and narrative could be conveyed quicker and are designed to occupy only about five minutes of screentime rather than 20 minutes or so.

Like, Ahsoka doesn't have a tv show length character arc, but a movie one, and Baylan still hasn't explained what his goals are, likely because both originated in more of a movie script, and we've just injected some steroids into the actions scenes to stretch stuff out (like Marrok.)
    I agree.

This like some other D+ series seem like movies cut into TV series so the pacing is weird.

As you mentioned, we don't know what Baylan's motivations are yet. In a movie, reveals like that are saved for the 3rd act of the movie but for a TV series, it doesn't quite work the same.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I agree.

This like some other D+ series seem like movies cut into TV series so the pacing is weird.

As you mentioned, we don't know what Baylan's motivations are yet. In a movie, reveals like that are saved for the 3rd act of the movie but for a TV series, it doesn't quite work the same.
    I still like Ahsoka, and I think its very good and probably has the best spectacle of the D+ shows, but I'd still rank both The Mandalorian Season 2 and Andor above it from a TV show perspective because they do a better job of packing in story and character arcs into their seasons; both have "mini-arcs" that can make compilations of episodes feel like stand-alone movies in their own right.

And I think that's because both those seasons managed to have the writers room simply pump out that much narrative content, while sometimes the other seasons and shows reveal their writers have become exhausted, or run out of ideas, and desperately needed someone else to help supplement the season order for episodes, or even just provide a more thorough touch on one of the show runner's ideas. Favreau clearly had stories worth most of The Mandalorian Season 2... and would run empty for much of Season 3, for instance, and probably could have used more writers for that season.

Filoni seems to have done a good job dividing a 2.5 hour script into an 8 episode series, but mostly by just adding in action scenes and characters to supply that without taking the time to flesh out more of the narrative as well. Marrok most clearly shows that, since he's likely just an excuse for a pair of lightsaber duels, when even just an entirely utilitarian explanation of his backstory and relationship to Baylan or Morgan could have been a five minute scene before his death.

This episode's guest starring role for Anakin likewise feels like it was originally more of a five minute cameo that got stretched out, with the result being a strong "Get up, kid, cause Micky loves ya!" sequence that also briefs new audiences on how important Ahsoka is while giving her catharsis for Vader to older audiences... but not really a major lesson to learn, when that could probably have been fleshed out as well.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Ultimate Member

Oh yeah, I am enjoying Ashoka.

There are a couple of things that could be tightened up but overall I think it's pretty good series.

I think Dawson is fine as Ahsoka. Maybe some people still want to see TCW or Rebels Ashoka, but she is clearly no more that anymore than TLJ Luke was the same as A New Hope. I do think she doesn't move great in the fight scenes, but they work around that. And yes, her near death experience did seem to change her.
    This was a good ep, I was a sucker for the whales in space scene.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It's almost as though Dawson's acting the way she was directed and it was intentional

I had said I was surprised that Ahsoka was being the stoic Master all the time, but this episode explained to me why this was a deliberate choice. I'm good with it now. The fact that she wasn't like that in the "Book of Boba Fett" in the Luke scenes made it confusing as opposed to if this were the first time we're seeing her since "The Mandalorian." In retrospect, it seems being around Sabine made her pull back into that role, thinking that's what she was supposed to be. I also like that what Ahsoka said to Huyang, that she was teaching Sabine to be herself, was part of the lesson she actually needed to learn, because she had been denying a part of herself due to her conflicted feelings about Anakin and having been his apprentice.

While I like that Filoni is intentionally keeping the mystical stuff a bit up for interpretation, I do wish we'd seen more of Ahsoka's catharsis and her being changed by the experience - or learning the lesson Anakin meant to impart. Having her almost want to kill Anakin then pull back didn't quite do it for me in the moment and I've had to backtrack through the sequence to put it together. I think some things should be explained a little more to the audience, so we can connect to it as its happening.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-14-2023 at 09:31 AM.

This episode's guest starring role for Anakin likewise feels like it was originally more of a five minute cameo that got stretched out, with the result being a strong "Get up, kid, cause Micky loves ya!" sequence that also briefs new audiences on how important Ahsoka is while giving her catharsis for Vader to older audiences... but not really a major lesson to learn, when that could probably have been fleshed out as well.
    I dunno if it was meant to be a five-minute cameo, I think Filoni definitely would've wanted to get in that live-action Clone Wars content for the fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think Dawson is fine as Ahsoka. Maybe some people still want to see TCW or Rebels Ashoka, but she is clearly no more that anymore than TLJ Luke was the same as A New Hope. I do think she doesn't move great in the fight scenes, but they work around that. And yes, her near death experience did seem to change her.
    This was a good ep, I was a sucker for the whales in space scene.
    I still don't get why she doesn't use her second saber. Like, what is it even there for?

Trying to remember if Hera knows about Anakin being Vader.....I think they *sort of? met in REBELS, or at least she was close by.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Trying to remember if Hera knows about Anakin being Vader.....I think they *sort of? met in REBELS, or at least she was close by.
    I think she knows about Anakin Skywalker and Vader as individuals, but unless Ahsoka's told more people about it I'm not sure if she personally knows they were the same.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I still like Ahsoka, and I think its very good and probably has the best spectacle of the D+ shows, but I'd still rank both The Mandalorian Season 2 and Andor above it from a TV show perspective because they do a better job of packing in story and character arcs into their seasons; both have "mini-arcs" that can make compilations of episodes feel like stand-alone movies in their own right..
    I totally agree with this, al tho I feel like season three of Mando should have been a separate show centered around Bo. I also like it more than Rebels, a show I could never get into save for a few episodes. Unlike the TCW which grew into something epic and special.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Slightly off topic, but I think season 3 of Mandalorian was good, just not good for the Mando show. It should have been it's own mini series staring Bo. I mean a mini series about Bo uniting the different clans to take back Mandalore?....**** yeah! I'd watch that.

As for Ahsoka I think it's rock solid not as good as Andor but still good. Episode 5 actually had me in my feels, it just did. Especially when I saw TCW Flashback, and Ahsoka comfort a dying clone trooper. How can you not be moved by that? Tbh all the D+ shows are hit or miss with me, even the first season of The Mandalorian. But Ahsoka has legitimately been the second best show for me behind Andor. And I didn't even like Rebels save for a few episodes. I'm still baffled by the love that cartoon got lol.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

I couldn't make it past Episode 1 of Andor. Just not my thing.

Wonder if they covered up the Clones face because they'd have to give Temura, Bodie or Logan extra or spend more money on the deepfake tech.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth