Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I've never seen Rebels and am only halfway through the first season of Clone Wars (yeah, took me long enough, I know) so I was worried I would be lost here, but fortunately, nothing could be further from the truth. I really enjoyed this and had no issue figuring out who was who and what was what. There are a bunch of allusions to Rebels, of course, but they're done kind of like the allusions in the Original Trilogy: like backstory that might be nice to know but they mostly just add a lived-in texture to the world. Plus, bonus, I already like all the characters here so I'm even more keen to go back and finish the animated shows.

And yet, oddly, I did read all the Star Wars novels I could get my hands on when I was a kid so the likes of the Witches of Dothamir and Thrawn are hardly new to me.

Small quibbles aside (like, would it really kill these shows to use at least a couple of John Williams cues every once in a while - especially for a show that's this purely Star Warsy? and the pacing is ever so slightly off) but these couple of episodes were a very good start to what looks like a really fun Star Wars show. And after the very non-Star Warsy Andor and the just plain messy Mandalorian Season 3, it's good to feel like we're on solid ground again.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    He said her "aptitude" was low compared to all padawans he had seen. The door is still open for her to have some force sensitivity, perhaps even more so than some basic ship crewman or farmer in the setting, its just far lower than the standards the Jedi used when selecting children worth training.
    She could be anything from just simply below the Jedi and Sith’s “recruiting minimum” of Force sensitivity to having the same Force sensitivity as your average Galactic denizen.

I think I’d personally prefer the idea that she’s much closer to Bob Dirtwalker than any on screen Jedi since it would be fun to see how far a regular person could go with Jedi training, *especially* if the idea is that someone like Chirrut Imwe “previews” that for us.

Like… if the idea was that it’s difficult, but a regular person could become the equivalent of Cassandra Cain or Daredevil with Jedi training would still work of regular Jedi are still more “meta human.”
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The first 2 episodes were good, much better than anything the Obi Wan series did. I'm not sold on the Ahsoka-Sabine relationship since that truly comes out of nowhere. There was that one time Kanan gave Sabine a crash course in lightsaber combat so she could wield the Darksaber when needed, but nothing about that would suggest she had any force sensitivity or could do any Jedi training. It just seems like forced conflict to give Sabine a reason to have a chip on her shoulder again after completing her arc with her people and family in Rebels.
    To be fair, being a Jedi isn't about throwing things around with the Force. There really isn't any indication that you couldn't become a Jedi with almost no Force connection at all. It would just be more difficult.

For reference, I went back and watched "Trials of the Darksaber" tonight. And when Fenn Rau talks about Tarre Vizla, builder of the Darksaber and first Mandalorian Jedi, he specifically uses the phrase "inducted into the Jedi Order." Not "trained as a Jedi." It's a tiny word choice, and it doesn't mean Tarre Vizla DIDN'T have the Force with him or wasn't a padawan trained by a master or any of that, but there is definitely wiggle room there if they want to make a case that a highly skilled Mandalorian with the right philosophical mindset could become a Jedi even without much, or any, power in the Force itself.

Not saying they will go that route with Sabine, necessarily. But it would also fit some of the older concepts about anybody being able to become a Jedi. It isn't about bloodline. Or at least it isn't supposed to be. And it would definitely give Sabine a unique niche within the universe, when the Mandalorian characters are kind of creeping out of the woodwork now thanks to that other show.

I guess Sabine might make up for her lack of power in the Force with her Mando weapons and training, basically the purpose of the Darksaber, but I still don't really need to see her wielding a lightsaber myself.

Although it would be kind of funny if Sabines turns into the Mando Jedi everybody thought Grogu would be .

Guessing we might see Hayden and O' Reilly in the episodes to come.

O'Reilly however has said her Mon Mothma role is pretty much a one-minute cameo rather than being pretty much the major co-star she is in Andor.

Pretty sure Lee as Carson is probably going to happen, and it'd be a mistake not to have Steve Blum as Zev after teasing him in Mandalorian.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-24-2023 at 05:07 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

While I enjoyed these two episodes. I feel I have to go rewatch Rebels, because I have forgotten most of it. At least the last season. But where to find the time?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Guessing we might see Hayden and O' Reilly in the episodes to come.

O'Reilly however has said her Mon Mothma role is pretty much a one-minute cameo rather than being pretty much the major co-star she is in Andor.

Pretty sure Lee as Carson is probably going to happen, and it'd be a mistake not to have Steve Blum as Zev after teasing him in Mandalorian.
    Yeah, I don't think they created a CG Zeb model just for a cameo.

Astonishing Member

Baelen is not Sith right? I figured he they were not by the orange sabers not red. And that they are "paid". But wasn't exactly sure.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Baelen is not Sith right? I figured he they were not by the orange sabers not red. And that they are "paid". But wasn't exactly sure.
    I think they are just mercenary Jedis.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Anakin is still a sore point for Ahsoka. I actually wonder how close she was to Jedi Knight status before she left. Would Anakin have ever put her through the trials or keep her as a Padawan so she wouldn't leave him? Although to be fair Kanan was even more of a Padawan than Ahsoka was and he managed to train Ezra fine. I wonder if he would've been a better fit for Sabine if he'd still been around given he trained her with the Darksaber.
    IIRC, Ahsoka was offered knighthood to return to the Jedi order after Anakin proved her innocence.

Kind of wonder when Kanan and Hera's son is going to show up- presumably it'll be with the full Ghost.

His character design at the end in REBELS threw some off as he should have Lekku/head tails inherited from his mother. Maybe they're shortened because he is half-human/under his hair?

Then again the Twi'leks are sort of given inconsistent looks in SW, Bib for example has some kind of goiter/chin thing going on; there's also the 'horns' they seem to have on the side although it's debatable if that's part of a head-dress or actually part of them I think.

Not to mention Orn Free Ta, the senator from the prequels who is all over the place.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Kind of wonder when Kanan and Hera's son is going to show up- presumably it'll be with the full Ghost.

His character design at the end in REBELS threw some off as he should have Lekku/head tails inherited from his mother. Maybe they're shortened because he is half-human/under his hair?

Then again the Twi'leks are sort of given inconsistent looks in SW, Bib for example has some kind of goiter/chin thing going on; there's also the 'horns' they seem to have on the side although it's debatable if that's part of a head-dress or actually part of them I think.

Not to mention Orn Free Ta, the senator from the prequels who is all over the place.
    I think there was a Lego set that had him in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I think they are just mercenary Jedis.
    Baylon's conversation with Shin about finding power makes me think they have their own agenda and being paid by Morgan is just a front. (which would be funny since that's what Din did when he pretended to accept her bounty for Ahsoka)

Random comment: I like how a lot of their tech looks like old hand-held video games. (I swear we'll see a repurposed Pong controller at some point)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-24-2023 at 02:11 PM.

I really liked this. A lot.

Loved the opening crawl. Especially like that they did the traditional crawl, but did it differently. Opening scene, including focusing on the villains (it was their scene, they just made an entrance in it) felt like proper Star Wars without feeling like it was putting on airs or just imitating its betters.

Tomb scene gave me a Indiana Jones vibe, which was fun, and the fight against the droids was great. That self-destruct was absurd.

I didn't think I'd like a Star Wars plot that went high-fi enough for different galaxies. I like my SW to be on the lower/mid end of the sci-fi spectrum. But this show sold the idea pretty well and I'm digging it. It feels like they're really aware of the scale/scope increase. If nothing else I like this more than some of the other 'elevations' we've seen, like the Son/Father/Daughter.

More stuff with the New Republic. Gods, it really was doomed from the start wasn't it? But I'm coming around to the idea by thinking of the New Republic as the space version of the articles of confederation.

Sabine as a Padawan is a hard no. I don't need another Jedilorian. Not until Grogu is old enough to train his own Order of them. But the Jedi have a lot of cool things to teach outside of Force powers. Their meditation and physical fitness, their philosophies, you don't have to touch the Force to learn those things and benefit from them (even if you won't get visions of the future from it, or be able to jump twenty feet straight up). And I'm cool with Sabine being that kind of apprentice. As long as she's not Force sensitive. It also seems fitting for Ahoska to only take a Padawan who won't succumb to the dark side.

Maybe the question here is that if the "Force doesn't belong to the Jedi" then do the Jedi belong to the Force? It's called a religion, do you need to touch the Force to be able to follow it?

Really feeling this show so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ah yes, the kind of stab wound you can walk away from. You never know which one you'll get in Star Wars.
    To be fair, that applies to the real world too. I never got the feeling the wound was fatal, and I never got the feeling I was supposed to think that.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I really liked this. A lot.

Loved the opening crawl. Especially like that they did the traditional crawl, but did it differently. Opening scene, including focusing on the villains (it was their scene, they just made an entrance in it) felt like proper Star Wars without feeling like it was putting on airs or just imitating its betters.

Tomb scene gave me a Indiana Jones vibe, which was fun, and the fight against the droids was great. That self-destruct was absurd.

I didn't think I'd like a Star Wars plot that went high-fi enough for different galaxies. I like my SW to be on the lower/mid end of the sci-fi spectrum. But this show sold the idea pretty well and I'm digging it. It feels like they're really aware of the scale/scope increase. If nothing else I like this more than some of the other 'elevations' we've seen, like the Son/Father/Daughter.

More stuff with the New Republic. Gods, it really was doomed from the start wasn't it? But I'm coming around to the idea by thinking of the New Republic as the space version of the articles of confederation.

Sabine as a Padawan is a hard no. I don't need another Jedilorian. Not until Grogu is old enough to train his own Order of them. But the Jedi have a lot of cool things to teach outside of Force powers. Their meditation and physical fitness, their philosophies, you don't have to touch the Force to learn those things and benefit from them (even if you won't get visions of the future from it, or be able to jump twenty feet straight up). And I'm cool with Sabine being that kind of apprentice. As long as she's not Force sensitive. It also seems fitting for Ahoska to only take a Padawan who won't succumb to the dark side.

Maybe the question here is that if the "Force doesn't belong to the Jedi" then do the Jedi belong to the Force? It's called a religion, do you need to touch the Force to be able to follow it?

Really feeling this show so far.
    In hindsight the New Republic's attempt to bring back the old style of government was doomed from the start because the old form of government is what screwed them over the first time.

That's basically how the Guardians of the Whills viewed the Force.
    To be fair, that applies to the real world too. I never got the feeling the wound was fatal, and I never got the feeling I was supposed to think that.
    It helps when you have main character status .