Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It helps when you have main character status .
    I'm pretty sure all those New Republic guards in that opening prison break sequence got patched up and are all fine now.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

It bothers me how Thrawn who's in exile can somehow have a hidden map that leads to his direct location. How did he manage this? Why reuse this particular narrative device from The Force Awaken?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It bothers me how Thrawn who's in exile can somehow have a hidden map that leads to his direct location. How did he manage this? Why reuse this particular narrative device from The Force Awaken?
    I don't think it's something he left hidden for his followers to find, but rather an artifact left by that ancient civilization that traveled to the Star wars galaxy from the galaxy the space whales took Thrawn and Ezra to.

Is it convenient?

Yes, but I think it's more well done and understandable than the artifact that led to Luke's hideaway.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

In the newer Thrawn novels there are actual "Sky Walkers"-force sensitive Chiss who are not trained as Jedi, but instead used as hyperspace guides.

Maybe they have something to do with all of this.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sky-walker
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-25-2023 at 03:47 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think it's something he left hidden for his followers to find, but rather an artifact left by that ancient civilization that traveled to the Star wars galaxy from the galaxy the space whales took Thrawn and Ezra to.

Is it convenient?

Yes, but I think it's more well done and understandable than the artifact that led to Luke's hideaway.
    I've seen speculation it's a migration pattern for the space whales.

I'm tangentially aware of most of the lore leading into the show that's not from live action properties.

My son is the animation aficionado.

My daughters just know the movies and live action shows.

We all had a blast and weren't lost.

It got my girls into watching Rebels.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In hindsight the New Republic's attempt to bring back the old style of government was doomed from the start because the old form of government is what screwed them over the first time.
    Indeed. Same with the Jedi, for that matter.

I wish we had a better idea of what Lucasfilm intends to do post-Rey. I don't want to see the setting regress and pretend that the Skywalker Saga didn't ultimately amount to anything, but it's also hard to picture this franchise without the Jedi's overwhelming presence in all things Force-related.

That's basically how the Guardians of the Whills viewed the Force.
    Those are the guys from Rogue One right?

What's their deal? They were guardians of a Jedi temple right? Wouldn't they follow the Jedi religion? I could be down with Sabine being that kind of 'jedi' I suppose. I just don't want her to be Force sensitive. We really don't need that.

It helps when you have main character status .
    Yeah it does. But Sabine getting a clean stab wound in the torso is something you can actually live through. Much better than, say, Maul surviving after being cut in half.

So....these villains. Baylan is, apparently, yet another Jedi who survived 66 (I still think he might be a clone). But he's not Sith, obviously not Jedi....what do we think he is? I quite enjoyed him, he has a calm and insight about him I wasn't expecting. And I wonder how long before we learn about his apprentice? Do folks still think she could be the Disney era version of Mara Jade?

And I love the reveal that Elsbeth was a Dathomiri witch; that fits really, really well with what little we saw of her in Mando season 2. Hopefully the Witches get a little TLC here, it'd make me really happy to get some spotlight on other Force organizations.

The inquisitor.....kinda disappointed, a little? He (I think it's a he?) shows up out of nowhere with barely any acknowledgement. Despite a cool fight against Ahsoka I forgot he was there immediately. Who could it be? Ezra seems an obvious choice but that raises difficult questions (and that's overdone anyway, wouldn't even be the first time Ezra himself dabbled with the dark side, so pretty unoriginal). If this story is borrowing from the Thrawn novels it could be a clone, in which case a Luke clone could be cool.

Regarding the whole 'secret map that conveniently leads to the plot's goal' thing....I think that (potentially) works here. Obviously the map doesn't point to Thrawn specifically; that alter/holomap thing is far too ancient. But if it maps the migration paths of space whales, which the people from the other galaxy may have followed, then it makes sense.

But I wasn't bothered by Luke's map in the sequels either.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

The maps aren’t problems as concepts ever, really; it’s more whether you execute using it that works.

On the villains, here’s my thought:

Baylan Skol - This dude screams to me that he’s sort of Filoni trying to fully differentiate what a “Dark Jedi” would be as a concept (though if Baylan ever gives his Force teachings a name, it might skip that particular name): he feels like a “Dark Side Obi-Wan” who’s maintained Jedi-style discipline and mindset even as he’s turned to the dark side, likely at first simply to survive and now because he genuinely calculates that it’s stronger in his opinion. I even think his orange lightsaber is supposed to hint at how he’s forged his usage of the dark side in a “colder” way than most dark siders, and his dialogue implies that he regards himself more as a “ronin”/“black knight” type of Force user, not going as megalomaniacal as the Sith or as mad as most Fallen Jedi, and instead being more of a professional mercenary with a code and some opportunistic cynicism.

(Stevenson gave the character a strong air of dignity and discipline; it’s magnificent.)

Shin Hati - Right now, I think she’s by and large just a classic Jedi Palawan… if their master was an amoral mercenary, and if the Palawan was recruited from child soldiers who have their own issues the master is trying to train them against. While Baylan seems to go cold in a “resigned” way that implies he was fully matured and psychologically healthy when he turned to violence, Shin has a disturbing mild “playfulness” that pops up a bit that might be her having disassociated herself from violence’s consequences. As such, I think she’s both somewhat more innocent than Baylan, but in a dangerous way.

Marrok, the Ex-Inquisitor - He *could* just be dark side cannon fodder, and if so, I hope they fill out how it’s be a bit “haunting” for an ex-Jedi too be reduced to an attack dog for another dark Jedi even after surviving Vader and others. But, well, their helmet, silence, and surprisingly good performance against Ahsoka makes me hope there’s *something* more to him. The “Vader” type reveal would be Ezra, but that would introduce other questions about how he fell *and* got the armor/lightsaber *and* why he’s now Marrok. Another reveal could be Bariss Offee, a fallen Jedi ex-friend of Ahsoka from the Clone Wars who tried framing her for her own crimes who is whereabouts are unaccounted for. Another possibility I could see would be that Marrok was Baylan’s Clone Wars Jedi apprentice, was inducted into the Inquisitorious, then after they fell he and Baylan reconnected now that Baylan was fallen as well.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

So far, I liked it. If they stick the landing this has a good chance of being high on my ranking of SW.

Marrok is obviously....... Omega

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Baylan Skol - This dude screams to me that he’s sort of Filoni trying to fully differentiate what a “Dark Jedi” would be as a concept (though if Baylan ever gives his Force teachings a name, it might skip that particular name): he feels like a “Dark Side Obi-Wan” who’s maintained Jedi-style discipline and mindset even as he’s turned to the dark side
    Hm. Agreed, I especially like the 'dark side Obi-Wan' comparison. And Filoni defining a 'dark Jedi' sounds good to me, regardless of what they end up calling themselves. I'm always down for more Force philosophies and groups, rather than relying on and recycling Jedi and Sith for everything.

I wonder if the Bendu play into this at all?

Marrok, the Ex-Inquisitor - Another reveal could be Bariss Offee
    Oh never thought of her. I would like that quite a bit. Bariss is owed a reckoning.

Do we know what happened to Ventress? I very much doubt she's Marrok but far as I know, no cartoon or film/show has revealed her fate.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Marrok is obviously....... Omega
    I mean, you joke, but can we truly rule that out?

Though now that I think about it....what're the odds that *Shin* is actually Omega? Hair color is about right. She and Baylan seem to be mercenaries of some kind, which is what the Batch became. They've teased Omega's connections to the Force and Palpatine's resurrection protocols. I don't think Shin is actually Omega of course, but it'd be a wild reveal for Bad Batch fans.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Though now that I think about it....what're the odds that *Shin* is actually Omega? Hair color is about right. She and Baylan seem to be mercenaries of some kind, which is what the Batch became. They've teased Omega's connections to the Force and Palpatine's resurrection protocols. I don't think Shin is actually Omega of course, but it'd be a wild reveal for Bad Batch fans.
    I actually thought about it for a second, but they'd have to explain why she looks so young, and she doesn't sound anything like Omega whose accent is pretty recognizable.

This is literally the only show where Barris showing up makes sense.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hm. Agreed, I especially like the 'dark side Obi-Wan' comparison. And Filoni defining a 'dark Jedi' sounds good to me, regardless of what they end up calling themselves. I'm always down for more Force philosophies and groups, rather than relying on and recycling Jedi and Sith for everything.

I wonder if the Bendu play into this at all?

Oh never thought of her. I would like that quite a bit. Bariss is owed a reckoning.

Do we know what happened to Ventress? I very much doubt she's Marrok but far as I know, no cartoon or film/show has revealed her fate.

I mean, you joke, but can we truly rule that out?

Ventress died in the Disney Canon novel Dark Disciple after falling in love with the undercover Quinlan Vos. It was an adaptation of a planned TCW arc.

I’m personally wondering if Bad Batch might end up revealing some alternative way to Peridea in the other Galaxy - the end credits Star map shows seven lines converge at Peridea after listing Mandalore, Yavin IV, Lothal, etc.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Sabine should have lost a hand.