Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think DC needed a SHIELD equivalent. Like, Argus maybe but it didn't need to destroy all the other organizations.
    Oh, I agree. I think DC does spy and magic stuff better, because they don't have one character planted firmly at the top.

Or, didn't, I should say

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think DC needed a SHIELD equivalent. Like, Argus maybe but it didn't need to destroy all the other organizations.
    Are they? In Infinite Frontier the DEO was pretty much active and working on.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Are they? In Infinite Frontier the DEO was pretty much active and working on.
    Argus during the New 52 was basically more of a SHIELD (and they're the SHIELD equivalent in the Arrowverse) although it seems like the DEO functions that way too...depending on the writer .

Quote Originally Posted by gretmom
    I read the entire thing - definitely a surprise.
    But a good surprise or something else?

Because there are surprises!! and ..."surprises"..
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

The only good thing that came from the Event Leviathan/Checkmate series was that Kate Spencer is back as Manhunter. Everything else, not so great. The Kamandi reveal was kind of interesting but I don’t really see the point besides shock value. Maybe Bendis has something in mind for him down the road.

this book was pretty frustrating at times as it could be a challenge to figure out what the hell was happening in the panels and who was saying what. Maleev’s action sequences are freaking hard to follow and of course all of Bendis’ characters sound the same.

A lot of Bendis’ story ideas have conflicted with other things going on in the DCU. They had to hand wave away the fact that Bones went insane and became a multiverse villain in Infinite Frontier. They had to teleport him back and pretend everything was all good. The Guardian is back to being a straight laced Metropolis hero. Waller is currently playing a diabolical Bond villain with her own private island lair and army. And who knows what they have planned for Talia in the upcoming Shadow War.

As others have said, it’s pretty lame that all of DC’s intelligence agencies have been homogenized. I wish they would all be given a specific niche.

DEO - alien/extra-terrestrial
    SHADE - supernatural
    Checkmate - covert ops
    ARGUS - Justice League government liaison
    Last edited by Robotman; 11-30-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The only good thing that came from the Event Leviathan/Checkmate series was that Kate Spencer is back as Manhunter. Everything else, not so great. The Kamandi reveal was kind of interesting but I don’t really see the point besides shock value. Maybe Bendis has something in mind for him down the road.

this book was pretty frustrating at times as it could be a challenge to figure out what the hell was happening in the panels and who was saying what. Maleev’s action sequences are freaking hard to follow and of course all of Bendis’ characters sound the same.

A lot of Bendis’ story ideas have conflicted with other things going on in the DCU. They had to hand wave away the fact that Bones went insane and became a multiverse villain in Infinite Frontier. They had to teleport him back and pretend everything was all good. The Guardian is back to being a straight laced Metropolis hero. Waller is currently playing a diabolical Bond villain with her own private island lair and army. And who knows what they have planned for Talia in the upcoming Shadow War.

As others have said, it’s pretty lame that all of DC’s intelligence agencies have been homogenized. I wish they would all be given a specific niche.

DEO - alien/extra-terrestrial
    SHADE - supernatural
    Checkmate - covert ops
    ARGUS - Justice League government liaison
    This would have been much cooler.
    It boggles my mind that Bendis needed to miniseries to basically put Talia as head of Leviathan again. It seems like we're back at square one, but the DCU feels smaller now.