Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Why are villains written like antiheroes these days.

Are villains these days too grey? Writing experts would tell you that the more ambiguous you make you villain the better. But when you look at all the popular supervillains they are almost always the more Capital E evil villains. I thing you really need both.

I agree. There has been a trend to make villains more relatable. Personally I think it makes for sucky villains.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Are villains these days too grey? Writing experts would tell you that the more ambiguous you make you villain the better. But when you look at all the popular supervillains they are almost always the more Capital E evil villains. I thing you really need both.
    The key, I think, is that the more human you make your villains, the better they are… with the thing that’s inconsistent being how much the writer avoids falling into a trap of ignoring how humans can still be monsters or clear antagonists and criminals, or giving into the desire to use “protagonist-centered-morality” for them.

A good example would be those well-written Lex Luthor stories, like The Black Ring. He’s still a horrible, horrible person, and the book in fact bases it’s climax off that, even though it does a good job telling his story first. The Zooms/Reverse-Flashes are excellent examples of the same principal of a human monster.

It’s with tragic monsters that people struggle, because you’re always one writer giving-in away from the character becoming a kind fo Byronic Anti-Hero you expect the audience to cheer because their the protagonist. Poison Ivy is a prime example of that.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The key, I think, is that the more human you make your villains, the better they are… with the thing that’s inconsistent being how much the writer avoids falling into a trap of ignoring how humans can still be monsters or clear antagonists and criminals, or giving into the desire to use “protagonist-centered-morality” for them.

A good example would be those well-written Lex Luthor stories, like The Black Ring. He’s still a horrible, horrible person, and the book in fact bases it’s climax off that, even though it does a good job telling his story first. The Zooms/Reverse-Flashes are excellent examples of the same principal of a human monster.

It’s with tragic monsters that people struggle, because you’re always one writer giving-in away from the character becoming a kind fo Byronic Anti-Hero you expect the audience to cheer because their the protagonist. Poison Ivy is a prime example of that.
    I’m not sure that’s true though. The Joker is the most popular villain there is and he isn’t relatable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I agree. There has been a trend to make villains more relatable. Personally I think it makes for sucky villains.
    that and people seem to not want to write people doing ANYTHING that's actually evil. One of the animated Lex Luthor versions(Superman: Doomsday ) was.. exceptionally evil. But the corporate sort of evil SoB and not the crazy serial killer kind.

Lex did several different KINDS of evil in that movie.

1: Illegal mining operation that unleashed Doomsday from the stasis pod he was contained in.
    2: After Doomsday went rampant Lex decided to hide the evidence... and killed everyone but himself who knew... including his personal assistant Mercy Graves.
    3: steals Superman's body after Doomsday fights him.
    4: stores Superman in stasis while making a clone army.
    5: tortures the one working clone he bothered to activate.
    6: does experiments using the other clones.... who die.
    7: tries to force his working clone to kill the original.

Then there's early on the REALLY evil thing, something... not the supervillain kind of evil. He's reading emails at his desk when Mercy is about to tell him about how Doomsday wrecked his illegal mine. then he makes a comment about how he now has a cure for some disease, but decides it's unprofitable to market a cure, and decides to not release it, and instead market a treatment using the research data he acquired that will instead of curing the disease delay it's effects indefinitely... as long as it's taken daily. Yeah.... THAT kind of evil. The sort people ponder IRL daily.

Astonishing Member

The villains who actually deserve the antihero treatment never get the opportunity and chance at redemption, while the ones with zero redeeming qualities are pushed as antiheroes and receive undeserved free passes from writers/fans.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

They're not that many... Harley, Ivy, Clayface, Killer Croc, Killer Shark, Kite-Man, Killer Frost, Pied Piper... and not all of them last long... Cheetah's back to villainy pretty quick, Luthor too
    Most Batman villains are mentally ill so a more complex and sympathetic portrayal is understandable, while The Rogues are supposed to be likeable anyway, don't know about the rest

Btw grey doesn't necessarily mean antiheroes. Antiheroes are heroes with non-traditional heroic qualities, such as torturing villains. I think you meant anti-villain too? Villains who don't do things just for the sake of evil and chaos, but has understandable motivation and standards, don't harm people willy-nilly, and are willing to help heroes if necessary?

People like seeing the good in bad people and the bad in good people.

Villains who are flawed and have good and bad qualities are compelling to read about because it makes them unpredictable and you don't know whats going to happen next.

People like villains they can "relate" too or see themselves in, they want to believe society broke them in some way instead of just being cartoonishly evil for no reason.
    Last edited by 9th.; 11-20-2021 at 02:11 AM.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    With some work. And an understandable villain, even a mild sympathetic one, does not means a justifiable or forgivable one. As best batman story say, of one read till the end and don't speed read through it not everyone who has a bad day decide to see the world burn, sometimes is just your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    They're not that many... Harley, Ivy, Clayface, Killer Croc, Killer Shark, Kite-Man, Killer Frost, Pied Piper... and not all of them last long... Cheetah's back to villainy pretty quick, Luthor too
    Most Batman villains are mentally ill so a more complex and sympathetic portrayal is understandable, while The Rogues are supposed to be likeable anyway, don't know about the rest

Btw grey doesn't necessarily mean antiheroes. Antiheroes are heroes with non-traditional heroic qualities, such as torturing villains. I think you meant anti-villain too? Villains who don't do things just for the sake of evil and chaos, but has understandable motivation and standards, don't harm people willy-nilly, and are willing to help heroes if necessary?
    Resting voice you're the....voice of the reason...OK...I need a break.

maybe the modern person relates to them more than superheroes?

You can blame the Harley Quinn and Venom writers.

Although Venom is great though.

Retired

I don't like this trend.

My theory is that it's about the I.P. There are only so many well-known properties and at least half of those are the villains. To exploit the brand, they use the villains as heroes. They could keep them as villains, but that's a sticky situation--it's not so easy to write a leading character that everyone hates. It's a lot easier to turn them into good guys--despite all the evil they've done.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Evil for evil's sake is boring.
    It's the old, 'nobody sees themselves as the villain of their own story'.

Once you start writing the villain long enough, their backstory and motivations can easily start coming across as a more sympathetic character.
    Hell, if you're doing it right, readers SHOULD be able to see their point of view and think maybe they DO have a valid point/reason for their actions.
    It's something I think MARVEL did particularly well.
    Punisher - AWFUL human being, but knowing WHY he's the way he is opens that door so you think, "well I understand his anger and motivation".
    Magneto is another brilliant example, Lizard, Morbius - hell almost half of the Spider-Man rogues gallery!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.