Mighty Member

Post Does the Teen Titans become the "X-Men 2.0" ?

I have notice a similar patterns has happen to the Titans ever since the New 52 happened, when Marvel does not have the right of X-Men movie franchise at that time, Marvel treat the X-books as a outcasts and even try to displaced the X-Men by replacing with the Inhumans but unsucessful. While for Teen Titans, most of them are treatly horrible by slaughtering them. Keep most of the them in limbo or even turn them bad/evil, lose power and even butchering all the character development for the sake of shock value and gimmicks. Even in Teen Titan Academy, the future doesn't look bright to them.

Althought the only difference is that X-Men franchise have been saved thank to Jonathan Hickman during the "House of X/Power of X" which was last last until this years. And at the same years, Marvel has regain the right of X-Men movies due to the merger. Meanwhile, The Titans have zero loyalty and respect from the higher up at DC who still treat them as garbage and not prority. It's like DC is completely "ANTI-MILLENIALS".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    I have notice a similar patterns has happen to the Titans ever since the New 52 happened, when Marvel does not have the right of X-Men movie franchise at that time, Marvel treat the X-books as a outcasts and even try to displaced the X-Men by replacing with the Inhumans but unsucessful. While for Teen Titans, most of them are treatly horrible by slaughtering them. Keep most of the them in limbo or even turn them bad/evil, lose power and even butchering all the character development for the sake of shock value and gimmicks. Even in Teen Titan Academy, the future doesn't look bright to them.

Althought the only difference is that X-Men franchise have been saved thank to Jonathan Hickman during the "House of X/Power of X" which was last last until this years. And at the same years, Marvel has regain the right of X-Men movies due to the merger. Meanwhile, The Titans have zero loyalty and respect from the higher up at DC who still treat them as garbage and not prority. It's like DC is completely "ANTI-MILLENIALS".
    Even at their lowest points, the X-Men have been allowed some tiny semblance of dignity. The Titans have been denied that.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Teen Titans was created as DC's answer to X-Men no? They even had a crossover

But in New 52 it's because Lobdell is at the helm and he's bringing ideas from Marvel. His crossover The Culling was an exact term and concept he used when he was writing Age of Apocalypse. The first story arc concept, metahumans being hunted, is straight-up X-Men, and DC approve of it because the concept of New 52 was trying to be bold and different first before everything else (Titans in-universe is supposed to be publicly known as heroes, not heroes running away from authorities).

I mean, the later parts of Abnett's run had their mission statement be to search for new metahumans or something like that.
    And now Teen Titans Academy is a downright copy of the mutant school concept.
    Prior to the New 52, I never thought they were that similar. Apart from the fact they were two more diverse teams than the "top dogs" in their universes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

But in New 52 it's because Lobdell is at the helm and he's bringing ideas from Marvel. His crossover The Culling was an exact term and concept he used when he was writing Age of Apocalypse. The first story arc concept, metahumans being hunted, is straight-up X-Men, and DC approve of it because the concept of New 52 was trying to be bold and different first before everything else (Titans in-universe is supposed to be publicly known as heroes, not heroes running away from authorities).
    Its an unpopular opinion, but I feel like Harvest and the Culling were wasted potential.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

No, but what I am saying in this thread is both X-Men and Teen Titans brand are treat as a punching bag from the Big two.

Incredible Member

DC treating the TT franchise like crap didn't start with new 52, it's been a thing since Didio stepped in with Graduation Day (2003) where he killed Donna and Lilith, and then it just snowballed from there.

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    DC treating the TT franchise like crap didn't start with new 52, it's been a thing since Didio stepped in with Graduation Day (2003) where he killed Donna and Lilith, and then it just snowballed from there.
    Which is strange as that’s the year (2003) the TT cartoon debuted.
    The show was def. successful.
    The current TT cartoon, love it or hate it, has been on since 2013 and basically taken over, Cartoon Network.

It’s like the animated and comics properties exist in separate worlds and the popularity of one cant help the other.

The Teen Titans have been treated fairly well in the YA graphic novels line. Wonder how that factors into things.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    No, but what I am saying in this thread is both X-Men and Teen Titans brand are treat as a punching bag from the Big two.
    First off-the Inhumans were NEVER meant to replace the X-Men so lets stop with the fake news.

NEVER have the X-Men been treated like a punching bag like the Teen Titans were. NEVER.

How many X-Men kept getting killed off in crappy company wide events?

Teen Titan fans WISH DC treated them like the X-Men.

The X-Men had 8 books during this so-called mistreatment. How many did Titans have? That is what I thought.

One was done on the bias of ownership and the other was person in charge abusing their power.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    First off-the Inhumans were NEVER meant to replace the X-Men so lets stop with the fake news.
    It wasn't really fake news, man. It's fairly obvious that Marvel was trying to replace the X-Men when you have:

- limitations on writers in the X-Men comics from creating new mutant characters
    - the retconning of characters' backstories to overwrite their mutant heritage ala Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver
    - the establishment that Terrigen Mist was actually toxic to Mutants
    - a focus on the Inhumans as the "marginalized minority" instead of the Mutants in subsequent events like Secret Empire.

Sorry dude, but until Disney got the film rights to the X-Men, it was clear that they were priming the Inhumans to be their replacement. But that's neither her nor there.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    It wasn't really fake news, man. It's fairly obvious that Marvel was trying to replace the X-Men when you have:

- limitations on writers in the X-Men comics from creating new mutant characters
    - the retconning of characters' backstories to overwrite their mutant heritage ala Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver
    - the establishment that Terrigen Mist was actually toxic to Mutants
    - a focus on the Inhumans as the "marginalized minority" instead of the Mutants in subsequent events like Secret Empire.

Sorry dude, but until Disney got the film rights to the X-Men, it was clear that they were priming the Inhumans to be their replacement. But that's neither her nor there.
    Squirrel Girl was another long standing character who was retconned out of being a mutant as well.

It's also should be noted, that as soon as Disney acquired Fox. The Inhumans push stopped. Marvel came out with Death of the Inhumans to cull the recently expanded Inhuman herd.

Yeah, the only Inhumans getting a push now are Ms. Marvel and Moon Girl - who will both probably be given new origins for their TV shows (apparently Kamala's had a complete powerset change).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Didio never liked most of the Titans that grew into their own roles. Dick Grayson, who has always basically been the heart and soul of the Titans, and Wally West, for exemple. He more than once tried to kill Nightwing in line-wide events, and activelly battled to bring back Barry Allen (and Hal Jordan, for that matter). I hear he also did his best to put an end to Young Justice, a book that I loved, and that PAD worked so hard to give it its own tone and identity, and gave the team to Geoff Johns, to make them into the New Teen Titans (the Wolfman/Perez book) 2.0, with pleanty of teen angst (not that YJ didn't have that, it was just, IMHO, handled with more subtlety and originality).
    Despite some similarities, that they knew how to play to twist expectations (such as the Kitty Pryde/Terra twist), I never felt that they were DC's attempt at doing X-Men. For me, it was just that Wolfman and Perez came over from Marvel, and brought a bit the Marvel style over to DC. I Do feel that DC lost the hand with the Titans about right after the Devin Grayson run (Sorry, I like Geoff Johns, and many other of his projects, but his TT really left me cold). Before this, they never quite got to repeat the success of those first years (which Marvel occasionally did, with the X-Men), but they tried and sometimes even got to give us exciting tales. Marvel took quite longer to lose its hand with X-Men. IMHO, of course. I find both books terrible nowadays.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 11-23-2021 at 12:14 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Didio never liked most of the Titans that grew into their own rules. Dick Grayson, who has always basically been the heart and soul of the Titans, and Wally West, for exemple. He more than once tried to kill Nightwing in line-wide events, and activelly battled to bring back Barry Allen (and Hal Jordan, for that matter). I hear he also did his best to put an end to Young Justice, a book that I loved, and that PAD worked so hard to give it its own tone and identity, and gave the team to Geoff Johns, to make them into the New Teen Titans (the Wolfman/Perez book) 2.0, with pleanty of teen angst (not that YJ didn't have that, it was just, IMHO, handled with more subtlety and originality).
    Despite some similarities, that they knew how to play to twist expectations (such as the Kitty Pryde/Terra twist), I never felt that they were DC's attempt at doing X-Men. For me, it was just that Wolfman and Perez came over from Marvel, and brought a bit the Marvel style over to DC. I Do feel that DC lost the hand with the Titans about right after the Devin Grayson run (Sorry, I like Geoff Johns, and many other of his projects, but his TT really left me cold). Before this, they never quite got to repeat the success of those first years (which Marvel occasionally did, with the X-Men), but they tried and sometimes even got to give us exciting tales. Marvel took quite longer to lose its hand with X-Men. IMHO, of course. I find both books terrible nowadays.

Peace
    John's TT set the stage for all the character derailment that happened to YJ, people like to put all of that on Lobdell, but John's started it and writers who came after him made things worse.