• SPAWN #246

0 0%
  • WAYWARD #1

8 21.62%
  • WILDFIRE #3

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Aug 27 - Black Science #8, Outcast #3, Wayward #1

Last Week's Winner

Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips debut issue of The Fade Out was a smashing success in our forums last week. With 11 votes it easily took top spot as our comic of the week. Monster release day for Image this week. Saga is back as well as last month's winner Low with it's second issue. Popular returning titles include Revival, Manhattan Projects, Black Science, Outcast, Mice Templar among others. New this week is ongoing title by Jim Zub (Skullkickers, Samurai Jack) and Steve Cummings (Legends of the Dark Knight, Deadshot). It's Buffy the Vampire Slayer in Japan!

New This Week

Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Wayward has some really great covers, anyone read it? Does the interior art match up at all?
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Wayward has some really great covers, anyone read it? Does the interior art match up at all?
    I picked it up this week, got a giant stash. I will review it once I'm done reading. The interior art looks exactly like the cover above. Hoping it's good, I really want to like this title.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Curious about Wayward too. Is it exploring Japanese myths?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Curious about Wayward too. Is it exploring Japanese myths?
    Add me to the list. The preview looked lame but the subject matter interests me a lot.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

All-New Member

Out of the two titles I read this week from Image, Low #2 gets my vote. It was a large improvement from the first issue. Outcast on the other hand was especially random this month, maybe I just have to go back and reread the first two but it seems like thus far it has no concrete plan.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    Add me to the list. The preview looked lame but the subject matter interests me a lot.
    Wayward is very much like the preview so if you didn't like that it may be best to avoid. We see the main character, Rori, start to explore Tokyo and run into a street gang. From there you start to get into the super-natural parts of the story. We only get a tease so far but yes I think Japanese mythology is going to be a big focus for the book. Also, a couple of really nice back matter articles as a bonus. Wayward doesn't have the huge high-concept hook of some of Image's recent books but I enjoyed it.

LOW continues to keep me fully engaged in what's happening. I love the world Remender is setting up and I feel completely invested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    LOW continues to keep me fully engaged in what's happening. I love the world Remender is setting up and I feel completely invested in it.
    Hope Low grows on me when I read it later. I picked it up this week and it's still on my pull but it's on my endangered species list. Going to give it a few issues.

I read wayward yesterday (Australia gets comics one day early i think). It was pretty much what Roland said, more or less whatever was in the previews. However I found it to be a nice slow introduction to the story with a bit of action and mystery teased. Also has some nice info and sketches shown on the creatures debuting in the issue, from the info I would assume most of the creatures would be pulled from japanese mythology. I enjoyed it but will have to give it a few more issues to see where the story goes.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

In order, from best to worst:

Revival
    Outcast
    Saga
    Wayward
    Wildfire
    Genius
    Drumhellar

Revival won easily by a country mile (so damn good and best book of the week for me); Outcast did a pretty reasonable job even if it wasn't all that exciting or scary; Saga was just alright though I did like the Prince Robot IV (the more I type the name, the stupider it sounds) scene quite a bit; Wayward was interesting but mostly uneventful; Wildfire had atrocious pacing that killed the genuinely interesting story; Genius's conclusion was a mess and a load of crap; and Drumhellar... is best left unsaid. That pretty much sums it up for Image this week.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I think I'm going with Outcast this week. Saga was pretty awesome this week, too. Loved that first page. Cowl and Black Science was pretty amazing, too.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Low was better this week for me, Saga was great. Loved that first page LOL.

The title that grabbed me the most was Wayward #1. It probably had to do with the fact that I had such little expectations for this but I ended up loving it. I thought the art was stunning, the interior pages looked even better than the cover. I'm not a big fan of anime style art, but Steve Cumming's style was a fusion of western style and anime that works here. Good setup first issue, I liked it very much. Enough for me to add ANOTHER Image title to my pull.

Picked up 3 image titles this week: Saga, Outcast and Low.

Outcast was quite disappointing for me. The story didn't really progress and most of it was character building, especially for Kyle, where we got to see some more of his past. Don't get me wrong, I really do like when comics put the characters first and the other elements second, but it just felt a little limp this week.

Saga did make me laugh out loud on many occasions, especially the double page spread of King Robot. Only Saga could do that and get away with it It's also setting up for a nice fourth arc conclusion. It really did break my heart to see the continuing dissolution of Alana and Marko's relationship, and that's why I LOVE this book, can give me the feels that other comics try to but can't!

However, Low was my comic of the week. I thought it was such a huge improvement on the first issue (which I already liked) especially the art, which was much more clearer and flowed with Remender's script much more easily. I didn't feel the time jump was gimmicky as it sometimes is, and felt it will add much more to the story as the arc progresses. I really like Stel as a character and it's refreshing to see some strong female leads in comics other than Fatale and Velvet (Brubaker is immense!). I feel like Low has so much more potential now I've been convinced Remender has an interesting story to tell and the cliffhanger was great!

EDIT: Just read Wayward and I don't know what it was about it but I didn't warm towards it. I LOVE Anime and its art (just wished some of it was colour) and this art was equally as great. However, I just felt it all to be a bit cliched with the ripping of skin and Rori just seemed to be able to grasp her powers quite suddenly which just seems very unrealistic (ah yes the irony of realism in a mythical world but hey ho). Tbh, maybe it's just my reluctance to start new comics because my budget will be considerably tightened when I go to college next month so I will probably wait for the trade and pick the rest up then.
    Last edited by ysemaj; 08-29-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Ended up getting Wayward and I enjoyed it. Was a good first issue and I really like Cumming's art. Works well for the series tone. Adding to my pull list for now.