Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I think most villains would become more interesting if you genderswap them, because it's still unusual to see women used for these archetypes and vice versa.
    That is because it is hard to write a women getting punched in the face without getting torn to pieces on line. Say the Joker was a woman and Batman was shown punching her out. The online white knights would be so up in arms screaming about how Batman beats women and the writer is a sexist pig for having Batman hit a woman and on and on. That is the main reason you do not see many female protaginists.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    That is because it is hard to write a women getting punched in the face without getting torn to pieces on line. Say the Joker was a woman and Batman was shown punching her out. The online white knights would be so up in arms screaming about how Batman beats women and the writer is a sexist pig for having Batman hit a woman and on and on. That is the main reason you do not see many female protaginists.
    That wouldn't be much of an issue if there had been a serious female equivalent of a Doomsday or Solomon Grundy type unstoppable beast. Unfortunately, writers are not comfortable with creating such a grotesque, non-sexualized, physically uber powerful female character. I guess Orca is the closest and she's rarely used or not treated as an actual threat.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 11-23-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Mighty Member

So outright and in several regards disrespectful trash like this is fine:

but just creating a female villain, and having the hero fight and punch her would be somehow a problem? Let's be honest here for a second, what you say is obviously not the main reason and never was, it is even basically the opposite because the main reason for a lack of female pro-and antagonists back in the days was sexism and that has still aftereffects nowadays.

Let me remind you that DC allowed Batman to one-punch Cheetah of all people:

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    That wouldn't be much of an issue if there had been a serious female equivalent of a Doomsday or Solomon Grundy type unstoppable beast. Unfortunately, writers are not comfortable with creating such a grotesque, non-sexualized, physically uber powerful female character. I guess Orca is the closest and she's rarely used or not treated as an actual threat.
    Enh it's been done.

We've had a Bizzarro WW since 1984: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Bizarro_Wonder_Woman
    We've got Genocide: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Genocide
    Then there's Grail... sexy but scary powerful. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Grail_(Prime_Earth)

It's more that they need to get used....

But if it is a woman who can fight and has powers then it's on the heroes for holding back against a dangerous opponent.

The flip side is female characters, even ones with super powers, getting easily beaten by a male character, even one who is not super human. There is also the unfortunate trope of female characters being treated as disposable either as villains, love interests or civilians.

Besides Orca there is also Rampage.

Then there is the Female Furies who has Stompa, Bernadeth and Mad Harriet among their ranks.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Sexism is the reason gor that.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Enh it's been done.

We've had a Bizzarro WW since 1984: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Bizarro_Wonder_Woman
    We've got Genocide: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Genocide
    Then there's Grail... sexy but scary powerful. https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Grail_(Prime_Earth)

It's more that they need to get used....
    How powerful is bizarro wonder Woman? Based on how nerfed WW is these days and the amount of times she is treated as a jobber. I wouldn't trusat anybody with the word wonder to be treated with respect.

Grail is all hype and no showings.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Let me remind you that DC allowed Batman to one-punch Cheetah of all people:
    DC treats Cheetah like garbage 90% of the time. They allowed catwoman to beat her (twice) why would batman be an exception?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Talia al Ghul. One less dragon lady and Ra's will finally leave Bat fam alone because he has a male heir now.
    Damian has a different mother.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-26-2021 at 01:11 AM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Talia al Ghul. One less dragon lady and Ra's will finally leave Bat fam alone because he has a male heir now.
    Damian has a different mother.
    Has it ever been established what ethnicity the Al Ghuls are? They have an Arabic name but some of their aesthetic seems Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Has it ever been established what ethnicity the Al Ghuls are? They have an Arabic name but some of their aesthetic seems Chinese.
    pretty sure the al Ghuls are Chinese and Arab. Ra's was supposedly born to Chinese nomads from somewhere in the Arabian desert. We know his father, The Sensei, is from Hong Kong, so I'm guessing his mother must have been the one from the Arabian desert.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I considered the JSA but most of them have female counterparts.

But moving down the generations a bit, I would like to see how:

Reine Harper

Donald Troy

Wendy West

Bob Gordon

Ronald Roth/Raven

would turn out to be like.
    On Wendy West, that's kind of the idea behind Iris. She's stepping into big shoes and still meets the red head speedster criteria, but you get it from a girl's perspective with a gender neutral superhero name.

Let’s not give DC any ideas. I mean this year they’ve proven that they’ll warp any character with no canon precedent just to get media attention.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!