View Poll Results: Who Should Get A Solo Film Or Show?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern/Alan Scott

1 1.61%
  • Flash/Jay Garrick

3 4.84%
  • Dr Fate/Kent Nelson

8 12.90%
  • Hourman (any one of them)

4 6.45%
  • Hawkman & Hawkgirl

13 20.97%
  • Amazing Man/WIll Everett

1 1.61%
  • Black Canary/Dinah Drake Lance

2 3.23%
  • Wildcat/Ted Grant

6 9.68%
  • Sandman/Wesley Dodds/Sandy Hawkins

9 14.52%
  • Power Girl/Kara Zor-L

7 11.29%
  • Johnny Quick/Liberty Belle

0 0%
  • Jessie Quick

0 0%
  • Johnny Thunder

1 1.61%
  • Mr Terrific/Michael Holt

5 8.06%
  • Other(Please Specify)

2 3.23%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Which JSA Character Should Get A Live Action Solo Film

With the recent talk of a potential Hourman movie, I've been thinking about which JSA member can hold a solo movie or show. I'm thinking something like what the MCU did with the Avengers wherein a limited number of characters get solo outings that build up to the larger team. HM wouldn't be my first choice for a solo outing so I'm wondering what everybody else's choices would be.

Mr. Terrific followed by Jade, Jessie Quick and Amazing Man. These are just for representation but they all have a cool hook you explore.

I liked Spectre in Ray Fawkes's Gotham by Midnight so I'd just do that.

Sandman and Wildcat are an easy sell separately and probably cheaper to do than the others.

Dr. Fate works more as a plot device than a character so I'd put him an ensemble. Same with Johnny Thunder who could work as the Jimmy Olsen to someone else.

The Hawks and Black Canary are fine.

Power Girl is a mess but people are fond of her. She'd be a good foil to Supergirl. I just thought she was an adult Kara from her appearance in Birds of Prey so I just lean into it. It's an easier elevator pitch.

Jay and Alan don't really interested me out of a period piece. So you could just use them with Jade/Jessie.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-20-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I voted for the Hawks. While there are other characters on the list I'd love to see in a film (BC and PG especially), I think general audiences might find them derivative. Hawkman & Hawkgirl(woman) have a lot of potential, and there's more than one direction they could go.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The Hawks for sure.

100% Sandman Wesley Dodds. Make it a dark period piece a la Sandman Mystery Theatre.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    100% Sandman Wesley Dodds. Make it a dark period piece a la Sandman Mystery Theatre.
    Give us an HBOmax series by the Doom Patrol showrunners, and I'd be all in!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I’ll give Wildcat the one vote he’ll get.

A period piece w. boxing, mobsters, black magic, Bowery Boys style hijinx, all at the start of the Mystery Men era. It could be fun, and feature a ton of cameos and shout outs. Yadda Yadda Yadda the movie ends in the present w. Ted still in his prime thanks to the nine lives he got earlier in the movie.

Spectre.......

Too bad Michael B. Jordan is not putting his star power behind a Mr. Terrific/Michael Holt movie.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Wait . . . how is "Amazing Man/WIll Everett" considered a "JSA character"?

Wasn't Marcus Clay the Amazing Man who was a member of the JSA, not Will nor Will III?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    I’ll give Wildcat the one vote he’ll get.

A period piece w. boxing, mobsters, black magic, Bowery Boys style hijinx, all at the start of the Mystery Men era. It could be fun, and feature a ton of cameos and shout outs. Yadda Yadda Yadda the movie ends in the present w. Ted still in his prime thanks to the nine lives he got earlier in the movie.
    Currently, after my vote, he's tied for first with the Hawks. Ted could have a cool run on tv. Lots of peripheral characters rotating in and out of the gym, bringing lots of story potential. Set it in a less than privileged part of the city.
    Black Canary could also be a good choice. Either falling back to her Silver Age roots and give her a flower shop or go more modern singer route.
    Green Lantern, Alan Grant as the head of WGBS entertainment, give him two teenage kids learning their powers.
    I would however LOVE a Sandman series in the vein of the Sandman Mystery Series.
    But my dream would be Power Girl. Head of StarrWare, Inc. Brassy. Bold. Ready to punch first, sets her apart from Supergirl.

Really, pretty much any of the JSA could be developed into a tv show.

Astonishing Member

Power Girl gets my vote (since I'm limited to one).

I'd make it different from Supergirl in that I'd both lean into the history and side-step it. This Kara Zor-El isn't a superhero when we meet her. She is Superman's cousin, who he has been keeping in the shadows (very much against her "wishes"). Now Superman (at a minimum) is dead. His death is nothing major from the series/movie standpoint. Maybe he died fighting Luthor or we are coming in at the tail end of a Doomsday-like battle. The only point I'd want is that Superman died dealing with the threat- this isn't Kara's debut moment or her needing to finish it.

The focus is on Kara trying to take her place in the world when half of the people see her as "Kal-reborn" or "Superman-in-a-skirt" and the other half see her as unprepared for the role. Kara is her own person and has been pushing for a chance to step into the spotlight. She isn't trying to be Superman's replacement, hell she becomes Power Girl rather than Supergirl just to emphasize this.

In her corner Lois Lane(-Kent), her cousins widow. Not as supportive- a composite Batman/Wildcat hero who was Superman's teammate and seriously doesn't think Kara is ready.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Power Girl
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    . . . Black Canary could also be a good choice. Either falling back to her Silver Age roots and give her a flower shop . . .
    FYI, the flower shop actually began during her solo-feature in Flash Comics (once she rid herself of Johnny Thunder) back in the Golden Age.

Voted for Hourman. I think a Vertigo-esque noir film about addiction and loss could make for one of the most compelling genre films to date. Sort of like Sandman Mystery Theater, but covering topics closer to the opioid epidemic. More Logan or Joker than Avengers, that kinda vibe yknow?

But I'd be very happy with Sandman too, and I almost voted for Other so I could get some Starman love in here....but in the end, the tale of Ted Knight simply isn't as unique in cinema as Rex Taylor's. Ted is too close to a Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark type of character, with an extra dash of the Zany Professor archetype. But Hourman has the potential to really be a new thing and exist in its own space.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.