View Poll Results: Should the Michelle Jones character be brought into Marvel Comics?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Supporting character for Peter Parker

11 24.44%
  • Supporting character for Miles Morales

18 40.00%
  • Supporting character for Ben Reilly

8 17.78%
  • Supporting character for Gwen Stacy

8 17.78%
Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I can't believe Renew Your Vows has essentially been forgotten. Poor Annie will have to wait to make her film debut.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I can't believe Renew Your Vows has essentially been forgotten. Poor Annie will have to wait to make her film debut.
    Mayday's still waiting .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Mayday's still waiting .
    Obviously Mayday gets the top spot when someone finally introduces a "Peter's kid" in a movie.

Obviously Mayday gets the top spot when someone finally introduces a "Peter's kid" in a movie.
    Worst timeline scenario: It´s Ben Parker from that horrid J.J. Abrams comic

Damn it, I remembered it while writing the previous post but forgot to include it lol.

But yeah, it quickly became forgettable after a while, not even sure what happened in the final issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Mayday's still waiting .
    I used to think the Spider-Girl introduced in Ultimate Spider-Man was Mayday, why in the fuck hell they decided to make her into a sex changed Peter is beyond me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Worst timeline scenario: It´s Ben Parker from that horrid J.J. Abrams comic
    Imagine if they introduce him, and he's well written, Mayday's and Annie's fans would get pissed for him to get such a treatment lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I used to think the Spider-Girl introduced in Ultimate Spider-Man was Mayday, why in the fuck hell they decided to make her into a sex changed Peter is beyond me lol.
    Easier to explain I guess, even if it's really basic.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Or the Kingpin being played by Michael Clarke Duncan. It was just... there. The people who made the film just... cast someone who looked different from the previous depiction. Although in the case of Kingpin it's arguable that they might have done so because of the difficulty of finding someone the right size for the role.
    Yeah, there's the argument of "why redefine who/what the character is instead of making a new character?" Which is where Michelle comes in. Definitely a new character.
    EDI: oh yeah... MCU Nick Fury isn't technically race-bending. in-universe he's the son of the other one.
    I actually enjoyed the 2003 Daredevil film, hammy Kingpin and all Barely even noticed the race-bend...

It actually goes to show...back then race-bending was more a creative decision, or a logistical one, to accomodate the use of certain actors. Today, it's seen as (and often is) a political move, and so it gets dragged into the culture wars and racial discource.

MCU Nick Fury is definitely a case of race-bending...the fact that they later introduced him to 616 as the ''son of the original'' doesn't change that. Though in Fury's case, the race-bending actually happened with the Ultimate Universe, which the MCU back in Phase 1 was heavily inspired by.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I am someone who is 100% against changing MJ ( race based or giving her superpowers), but I suspect that if Marvel tried to do so they could get away with it. How do I know? DC made Superman bisexual ( and got rid of “Truth, Justice and The American Way”) and that made the news for one day. Marvel did the same for Felicia and nothing happened. Where the anger happens is over stuff out of left field like Hydra Cap and OMD.
    Technically, DC made Superman's son bisexual. And I think a lot of the headlines around it specified that it's the kid, and not Clark Kent/Kal-El this is happening to, so the backlash was significantly reduced. If they'd done it to the original Superman, all hell would have broken loose!

It's the same with all the talk of a 'black Superman' project. All the talk of Ta Nehisi Coates' alleged 'black Superman' film sparked off a lot of angry discource because people were convinced that Clark Kent was going to be race-bent (despite the fact that there was actually no official information that Superman was even going to be black in this film). But the upcoming Val Zod project with Michael B. Jordan hasn't faced any backlash, and I think has gotten some degree of positive attention, because Val Zod is an alternate Superman who is canonically black.
    Last edited by bat39; 12-09-2021 at 12:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm telling you right now that trying to introduce a new love interest for Peter in the comics is not going to work out. We literally just saw that during Brand New Day.
    Marvel was happy with how those comics sold. No harm was done.

Michelle doesn't even have to be introduced as a love interest. She can be a classmate or a neighbor. Then see where the stories take them.

The arguments you're presenting aren't strong reasons for why it wouldn't be in Marvel's best interests to introduce Michelle into the comics. Most of the resistance in this thread looks to be coming from people who are worried she would become Peter's new girlfriend, and they don't want Peter dating anyone other than Mary Jane. That's personal preference. That's not a reason for Marvel not to use a prominent character currently featured in movies watched by millions.

It can ( like almost anything else) be negative if it is used as an excuse to do something not good. In this case using “Diversity” to be the latest excuse to remove Mary Jane from the book. Marvel is very capable of doing BS like that ( see the no baby rationale for OMD as one outrageous example of this).
    Marvel haven't removed Mary Jane from the book. Nobody in this thread has been calling for Mary Jane to be removed from the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post

Michelle doesn't even have to be introduced as a love interest. She can be a classmate or a neighbor. Then see where the stories take them.

The arguments you're presenting aren't strong reasons for why it wouldn't be in Marvel's best interests to introduce Michelle into the comics. Most of the resistance in this thread looks to be coming from people who are worried she would become Peter's new girlfriend, and they don't want Peter dating anyone other than Mary Jane. That's personal preference. That's not a reason for Marvel not to use a prominent character currently featured in movies watched by millions.
    So should Peter have a friend like the movie version of Ned as well? Should Aunt May be changed so she looks like Marisa Tomei? Should Peter act like Tony Stark was his hero again?

Should Peter be in High School again?

Should the comics be changed so they're more like the movies?
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 12-09-2021 at 05:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Marvel haven't removed Mary Jane from the book. Nobody in this thread has been calling for Mary Jane to be removed from the book.
    I never said Marvel has removed Mary Jane from the book nor did I say anyone here wants it ( not that Marvel cares what a few people on a blog think ( see the opinions of OMD by the overwhelming majority as an example of this)). What I did say is I do not want “Diversity” to be the latest excuse to remove her from the book or lessen her impact . Marvel has been trying to do just that for over half a century ( starting with Romita Senior). Why? Keep Peter in High School or have him act like someone in High School. That was the motivation for the original Clone Saga and OMD, that is why he is “A kid” in the MCU movies and having him as a High School Freshman in the latest cartoon, and last but certainly not least the Slott “Man-Child” era.

I never said Marvel has removed Mary Jane from the book nor did I say anyone here wants it ( not that Marvel cares what a few people on a blog think ( see the opinions of OMD by the overwhelming majority as an example of this)). What I did say is I do not want “Diversity” to be the latest excuse to remove her from the book or lessen her impact . Marvel has been trying to do just that for over half a century ( starting with Romita Senior). Why? Keep Peter in High School or have him act like someone in High School. That was the motivation for the original Clone Saga and OMD, that is why he is “A kid” in the MCU movies and having him as a High School Freshman in the latest cartoon, and last but certainly not least the Slott “Man-Child” era.
    Please stop using "Diversity" as a pejorative.

Astonishing Member

So should Peter have a friend like the movie version of Ned as well?
    Sure.

Should Aunt May be changed so she looks like Marisa Tomei?
    That wouldn't fit the continuity of the comics, without getting into super science, magic etc. to literally de-age her. It's better to have a grounded supporting cast that doesn't get too involved in those things.

Should Peter act like Tony Stark was his hero again?
    That wouldn't fit the continuity of the comics.

That wouldn't fit the continuity of the comics. He should be a student though.

If good ideas from the movies can be incorporated into the comics without causing disruption to the continuity, then they should be. A good idea is a good idea, no matter where it comes from. Michelle Jones is a character who can be introduced into Spider-Man comics without contradicting or retconning established continuity. She can simply be introduced as a new character.

Sure.

That wouldn't fit the continuity of the comics, without getting into super science, magic etc. to literally de-age her. It's better to have a grounded supporting cast that doesn't get too involved in those things.

That wouldn't fit the continuity of the comics.

That wouldn't fit the continuity of the comics. He should be a student though.

If good ideas from the movies can be incorporated into the comics without causing disruption to the continuity, then they should be. A good idea is a good idea, no matter where it comes from. Michelle Jones is a character who can be introduced into Spider-Man comics without contradicting or retconning established continuity. She can simply be introduced as a new character.
    Millions of people see Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, but the comics shouldn't try to replicate that? But they should bring in Zendaya's MJ because millions of people have seen her in the role? Millions of people have seen Peter treat Tony Stark as his hero, but the comics shouldn't replicate that at this point either? But they should bring in someone like the MCU Ned, who was very clearly inspired by Miles Morales' friend Ganke?

Astonishing Member

So should Peter have a friend like the movie version of Ned as well? Should Aunt May be changed so she looks like Marisa Tomei? Should Peter act like Tony Stark was his hero again?

I am one of those who is certainly not in favor of any of those things but Marvel/Disney is Hell Bent on having Peter as a kid no matter the cost, which is why the latest cartoon is a prequel to the films. Think about it: They are so opposed to him growing they are making him even younger. It is also why a prior cartoon had him in class with Miles ( to say that is NOT exactly canon is an understatement). It really should not be difficult: Miles for the teens and kids and Peter for the adults, but for some reason which is beyond my comprehension they want Peter as juvenile no matter what the majority want ( very much like you guessed it: OMD).

Millions of people see Marisa Tomei as Aunt May, but the comics shouldn't try to replicate that? But they should bring in Zendaya's MJ because millions of people have seen her in the role? Millions of people have seen Peter treat Tony Stark as his hero, but the comics shouldn't replicate that at this point either? But they should bring in someone like the MCU Ned, who was very clearly inspired by Miles Morales' friend Ganke?
    Do they really, though?