Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Are the Japanese and European manga formats better then the American one?

To me comic books seem to be doing better in those markets then in the states. And part of it I feel comes down to format. I feel publishing everything in big anthologies allows lesser known comics to get eyes on them that they normally wouldn’t. I feel the American model benefits stuff that’s already popular(legacy brands) while manga and euro comics are more driven by what’s new.

I know about Japanese magazines and 2000AD but what makes European anthologies special?
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 11-25-2021 at 07:32 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I know about Japanese magazines and 2000AD but what need European anthologies special?
    When I say euro comics I mean 2000ad and Métal hurlant( Heavy Metal in the states). They are also anthology based like manga.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    When I say euro comics I mean 2000ad and Métal hurlant( Heavy Metal in the states). They are also anthology based like manga.
    In Japan, they’ve got a lot of anthologies. I’m curious if the same is true in England, France and elsewhere. To be fair, I know a lot of places in Europe have Disney anthologies with occasional original stories as well.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    To me comic books seem to be doing better in those markets then in the states. And part of it I feel comes down to format. I feel publishing everything in big anthologies allows lesser known comics to get eyes on them that they normally wouldn’t. I feel the American model benefits stuff that’s already popular(legacy brands) while manga and euro comics are more driven by what’s new.
    The scrolling format of webcomics and webtoons was a smart innovation for mostly Korean Manwha as well acknowledging the way most people enjoy content on their devices is nothing like a printed book. When e-readers came out with the page turning feature, it did feel a bit like using horse reins to drive a car.

I'm not sure the European comics formats are better than from a formatting standpoint than American comics formats. Rather, I think both have evolved and adapted to the different available market and distribution mechanisms.

Sweden still has comics sold using a newspaper distribution channels, and I think that's a huge reason why the anthology format still lives on here. But compared to how it was in the 80s, the number of titles has fallen drastically. There are two or three action-adventure titles remaining, and perhaps twice that of titles focusing on comedy. There are a couple of kids' comics titles as well, with some evergreens and a revolving door of whatever pop culture stuff that is in vogue.

But they're not there because the format is better, but because it is the format that has evolved in the available distribution channels.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not sure the European comics formats are better than from a formatting standpoint than American comics formats. Rather, I think both have evolved and adapted to the different available market and distribution mechanisms.

Sweden still has comics sold using a newspaper distribution channels, and I think that's a huge reason why the anthology format still lives on here. But compared to how it was in the 80s, the number of titles has fallen drastically. There are two or three action-adventure titles remaining, and perhaps twice that of titles focusing on comedy. There are a couple of kids' comics titles as well, with some evergreens and a revolving door of whatever pop culture stuff that is in vogue.

But they're not there because the format is better, but because it is the format that has evolved in the available distribution channels.
    It certainly feels like that Japanese Manga as well as Chinese and Korean comics are dominated by a small group of popular genres with stories that greatly resemble each other as much as American comics are dominated by superheroes and their influence. Of course, much of that may be an incorrect impression made by the Manga and Anime that reach the West, but considering how much we have, I think it is likely true.

I read Heavy Metal and a lot of European comics related to that in the 80's but I think that really represented only a small sliver of the entire European comics market. I think it would be like judging all American movies just from watching the Star Wars movies or all American literature just by reading DUNE or NEUROMANCER.