Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    A plausible reason why Jubilee and Gambit would risk their lives, Shogo's life and the cats by living in such a dangerous place.
    Someone's got to tell Jubilee that it's okay to leave Shogo with a sitter. I'm okay with the "Mom Jubilee" thing unlike some people. Themes of "found family" and all that. But the way they've been handling it hasn't been great.

Of course, the bigger problem is that I can't seem to get myself to care about Otherworld at all. But the thread title says "small changes".

More people questioning the current status quo.
    I think more people should have been uneasy with the whole "moving to Krakoa" thing even with portal flowers and all that. Whether it's people who have a lot of non-mutant loved ones elsewhere. Or people who were staunch patriots of other countries. There should have been more people who were like "Thanks, but no". The only characters I can think of who didn't want to move to Krakoa were Cannonball and Pete Wisdom.

Gabby was in Fallen Angels instead of Laura.

Joe Fixit gatecrashes The Gala.

Wiz Kid pops up in Teen Cable's solo.

- Using panel backgrounds to tell us what is it like to live in Krakoa. For example, if they need to get new clothing, do they go to some kind of store? Do they have stores? What are mutants doing other than fighting treats? Do they just hang around aimlessly? And the thing is this would not be the center of the panels, just something happening, just like when they're drinking in Blob's bar.
    - Drawing characters according to their ages. Sometimes you see a New X-men beside an adult, like Hellion besides Cyclops or the Cuckoos besides Emma, and you can't really tell that there's at least a 10 years gap between them depending on the artist.
    - Consistent use of wounds. We see characters that cannot heal fighting and all of a sudden that huge hit he took on his face did... nothing. Also, the lack of scars.

I love that Kwannon is here to stay and slay.

But I must confess, as primarily a Betsy fan, I wish they find a way on making her ad interesting and edgy as before. Maybe give her a new costume (similar to her Disassembled one) and a new code name. They will surely keep Kwannon as Psylocke.

I think the heroic aspect of the CB mantle limits her as a more grey area character. Let Brian be the hero and let her go back to working on an X-Team.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    One really tiny change - fix Empath's hair color in Hellions. Some issues it's straight-up blond. Empath was never blond. He's always had light to medium brown hair. It's such a little thing, but it drives me nuts. There's no reason for blond Empath.
    Maybe he died it? We dont see all the lifes 24/7. And maybe he just wanted a change. Just cause there mutants doesnt mean they cant die there hair. Look at Lorna, somehow she always has time to touchup her roots! And yes I forget off top of head the source but Lorna does die her hair green. I can research it later.

Spectacular Member

Good writing.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Maybe he died it? We dont see all the lifes 24/7. And maybe he just wanted a change. Just cause there mutants doesnt mean they cant die there hair. Look at Lorna, somehow she always has time to touchup her roots! And yes I forget off top of head the source but Lorna does die her hair green. I can research it later.
    Maybe so, but he also appears to be blond when he emerges from the resurrection cocoon. Unless he's been dying his hair brown for some reason during his entire past history with the original Hellions? I don't necessarily mind Empath dying his hair, it's just that this blond thing seems less like a conscious change on his part, and more like "The colorist made a mistake." Like they didn't bother to look at any prior appearances to get his character model right. It would be like Kitty suddenly having red hair, with no explanation or comment. It's a minor thing, but I'm petty about it.

Extraordinary Member

An end to plot-induced stupidity. This is a big part of the problem with the current Inferno, with Ed Brisson's New Mutants, and with Beast, though at this point being much dumber than he thinks he is is an ingrained part of McCoy's character. He's been subject to PIS so long it would seem out of character for him to actually start making good decisions.

Ultimate Member

Maybe so, but he also appears to be blond when he emerges from the resurrection cocoon. Unless he's been dying his hair brown for some reason during his entire past history with the original Hellions? I don't necessarily mind Empath dying his hair, it's just that this blond thing seems less like a conscious change on his part, and more like "The colorist made a mistake." Like they didn't bother to look at any prior appearances to get his character model right. It would be like Kitty suddenly having red hair, with no explanation or comment. It's a minor thing, but I'm petty about it.
    Same for me. With Havok and Wild Child on the team, it's hardly starved for blonde dude representation, and he was never as dark as Roberto, but definitely not Swedish, either. Manuel now being a blue-eyed blonde, when he was neither in his original appearances is weird to me, especially combined with the radical changes to his backstory and personality (now he's a sociopath *because* his mutation made him unable to establish healthy emotional relationships, where he *used to be* a standard mutant, who experienced a dozen years of not-yet-being-a-mutant and had all that time to learn healthy emotional relationships and then his mutation kicked in and he *chose to be a creep* with them, he was never a woobie victim of his mutation, he was always able to choose to be better, and he *did* become better, after Emma Frost, of all people, telepathically locked away his powers and forced him to get along with people without abusing them with his powers, he went through a whole cycle of growth, and while I love Hellions, this Manuel is literally a different person entirely than the original Empath character).

That all said, there's an interesting idea to be explored there. A mutant whose powers have prevented them from developing normal healthy emotional / psychological relationships, and whether or not a post-human mutant society would even find it proper to 'correct' such behavior.

Is it contrary to their beliefs for a bunch of post-humans developing their own culture and society to force someone whose mutation makes them emotionally void or psychotic even into 'normal human' behavior patterns?

On the one hand, leaving someone psychotic or antisocial sounds like no fun at all to be around. On the other hand, where does one draw the line at 'no, sorry, your mutation is too dangerous or unpleasant for the rest of us, YOU have to be changed to be 'more normal.''

It could be an interesting storyline, but Manuel is not a 'cropkill' who was born with a mutant power affecting people even when he was a child. He was just an entitled creep who abused others with his powers, and this storyline doesn't fit him.

Similar small thing from the OG Hellions I wonder about. Jetstream, the Saudi dude, needed cybernetics to channel his power and allow him to fly. Whether or not those bionics came from Frost Industries or his uber-rich parents, I have no idea, but post-resurrection, *he might not have them anymore.* What, without the cybernetics, does his power even do? He needed the bionics to fly, so without them, does he just sort of sputter around and release propulsive force in all directions uncontrollably whenever he activates his power, a danger to himself and others? Fun power, if so. :/

Incredible Member

Get rid of Percy, Howard, Duggan and Ayala. The improvement will be astronomical.

Astonishing Member

Give logan a beard, and more interactions. Show us more down time. Have laura hange out with Jubilee, helion tell a story about all the time he almost died, sunspot being himself. Give us that slice of life shit

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Give logan a beard, and more interactions. Show us more down time. Have laura hange out with Jubilee, helion tell a story about all the time he almost died, sunspot being himself. Give us that slice of life shit
    More slice of life shit would be nice. I concur.

Incredible Member

Quire has been known to have the 5 change his new bodies for various reasons, so maybe empath did the same. As readers we make assumptions. Yes in past people have miscolored characters. But we often forget that characters change over years. Maybe he was dying his hair brown. We as readers think we are omnipresent, but were not. We just see parts. For instance. If a coworker died their hair do we have to know all the reasons why, no. Because we are not in there life 24/7. Thats my point alot of minor things can be written off for a lot of characters if we treat them as characters or indivduals and not think as the reader we are omnipresent. Alot happens behind the scenes, to much to flesh out every little thing like if a character colors there hair or not. We have bigger issues with recoloring happening then hair color. Like getting skin tones right. I personally change my own hair color about every few weeks. I dont need to know about the insignificant fact that a characer takes an hour to color there hair. Now skin tone and bleaching etc takes more then an hr and is a significant change. So that kinda thing needs to be explained. But hair color? Hair color is as common in the world as changing your eye color by contacts. 50 years ago when hair coloring was not as open as it is today, remember back then it was the slogan maybe shes born with it. Only her stylist knows. Back then hair color or eye color changing would be big deal, but in todays world changing your hair color is as common and accepted as eating at fast food.

Astonishing Member

Zeb staying on Hellions for the forseeable future, it's my favorite X-b...scratch that Marvel book out there right now and it only has one issue left.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Quire has been known to have the 5 change his new bodies for various reasons, so maybe empath did the same. As readers we make assumptions. Yes in past people have miscolored characters. But we often forget that characters change over years. Maybe he was dying his hair brown. We as readers think we are omnipresent, but were not. We just see parts. For instance. If a coworker died their hair do we have to know all the reasons why, no. Because we are not in there life 24/7. Thats my point alot of minor things can be written off for a lot of characters if we treat them as characters or indivduals and not think as the reader we are omnipresent. Alot happens behind the scenes, to much to flesh out every little thing like if a character colors there hair or not. We have bigger issues with recoloring happening then hair color. Like getting skin tones right. I personally change my own hair color about every few weeks. I dont need to know about the insignificant fact that a characer takes an hour to color there hair. Now skin tone and bleaching etc takes more then an hr and is a significant change. So that kinda thing needs to be explained. But hair color? Hair color is as common in the world as changing your eye color by contacts. 50 years ago when hair coloring was not as open as it is today, remember back then it was the slogan maybe shes born with it. Only her stylist knows. Back then hair color or eye color changing would be big deal, but in todays world changing your hair color is as common and accepted as eating at fast food.
    I mean, you're right that it's ultimately an insignificant thing, that's why I listed it as a "tiny" change that would improve the books for me. I'd still like it better if I knew it was a deliberate choice on Empath's part, not oops, the colorist looked at a picture of Bevatron instead of Empath for his character reference.