Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Same for me. With Havok and Wild Child on the team, it's hardly starved for blonde dude representation, and he was never as dark as Roberto, but definitely not Swedish, either. Manuel now being a blue-eyed blonde, when he was neither in his original appearances is weird to me, especially combined with the radical changes to his backstory and personality (now he's a sociopath *because* his mutation made him unable to establish healthy emotional relationships, where he *used to be* a standard mutant, who experienced a dozen years of not-yet-being-a-mutant and had all that time to learn healthy emotional relationships and then his mutation kicked in and he *chose to be a creep* with them, he was never a woobie victim of his mutation, he was always able to choose to be better, and he *did* become better, after Emma Frost, of all people, telepathically locked away his powers and forced him to get along with people without abusing them with his powers, he went through a whole cycle of growth, and while I love Hellions, this Manuel is literally a different person entirely than the original Empath character).

That all said, there's an interesting idea to be explored there. A mutant whose powers have prevented them from developing normal healthy emotional / psychological relationships, and whether or not a post-human mutant society would even find it proper to 'correct' such behavior.

Is it contrary to their beliefs for a bunch of post-humans developing their own culture and society to force someone whose mutation makes them emotionally void or psychotic even into 'normal human' behavior patterns?

On the one hand, leaving someone psychotic or antisocial sounds like no fun at all to be around. On the other hand, where does one draw the line at 'no, sorry, your mutation is too dangerous or unpleasant for the rest of us, YOU have to be changed to be 'more normal.''

It could be an interesting storyline, but Manuel is not a 'cropkill' who was born with a mutant power affecting people even when he was a child. He was just an entitled creep who abused others with his powers, and this storyline doesn't fit him.

Similar small thing from the OG Hellions I wonder about. Jetstream, the Saudi dude, needed cybernetics to channel his power and allow him to fly. Whether or not those bionics came from Frost Industries or his uber-rich parents, I have no idea, but post-resurrection, *he might not have them anymore.* What, without the cybernetics, does his power even do? He needed the bionics to fly, so without them, does he just sort of sputter around and release propulsive force in all directions uncontrollably whenever he activates his power, a danger to himself and others? Fun power, if so. :/
    As much as I enjoyed Hellions, Manuel's characterization felt weird to me. Especially with him being so openly nasty and uncouth. In earlier appearances, he seemed to maintain a facade of being sophisticated (to go with his supposedly rich and aristocratic background, although I think his family had actually fallen on hard times). And despite Emma trying repeatedly to teach him some subtlety as a Hellion, he's still openly saying, "Yeah, I'm a jerk and I'm gonna use my powers on you!" like he just doesn't learn. Maybe he's just decided to completely embrace his inner awfulness.

I wonder the same about Jetstream - supposedly his legs were destroyed when he first activated his powers, leading to the cybernetics. Did that get "fixed" with his resurrection? I'd love to have an issue just spotlighting the old Hellions adjusting to their new life on Krakoa, and maybe Catseye hanging out with her red-fur friend.

Tiny change would be for some of the writers to take notes from Ewing and learn how to juggle a team.

Tiny change for the writers with more low stakes arcs is for them to get to their finish line faster and move on to the next story instead of trying to be Claremont and make it spand more than 12 issues.

And honestly as someone else said; more of the background characters should be characters we are familiar with that make sense with the main characters being featured.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    I mean, you're right that it's ultimately an insignificant thing, that's why I listed it as a "tiny" change that would improve the books for me. I'd still like it better if I knew it was a deliberate choice on Empath's part, not oops, the colorist looked at a picture of Bevatron instead of Empath for his character reference.
    Agin why are we worrying about hair color when bigger and more important mistakes happen, aka skin coloration mistakes. That should be what bothers someone, not hair color or eye color which can be easily altered. While skin color cannot.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Agin why are we worrying about hair color when bigger and more important mistakes happen, aka skin coloration mistakes. That should be what bothers someone, not hair color or eye color which can be easily altered. While skin color cannot.
    Because this whole thread is about tiny changes that would improve the books for us? I don't think the thread title said that they had to be deep or important changes. I agree that it's a small thing compared to skin color, but I've also admitted that it's a petty, minor thing that bothers me personally. You are free to disagree.

Bring Claremontian thought bubbles back. Removing them didn’t bring artists to the fore, it just made the writing and characterisation more shallow.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Bring Claremontian thought bubbles back. Removing them didn’t bring artists to the fore, it just made the writing and characterisation more shallow.
    Can writers decide to do that on their own or is that something only editors can decide on?

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin King View Post
    Because this whole thread is about tiny changes that would improve the books for us? I don't think the thread title said that they had to be deep or important changes. I agree that it's a small thing compared to skin color, but I've also admitted that it's a petty, minor thing that bothers me personally. You are free to disagree.
    Yeah tbf this was the type of reply I was hoping for.

The little things in life that irk you.

Skin colouring errors are a major problem across Marvel and deserves a whole thread (and has had in the past) dedicated to it. It's more of an endemic issue than the 'it's a shame this doesn't happen' thing that I was aiming for with the thread.

The Red Dragon

Character should drive the plot not plot drive the characters like the current Krakoa era.

Also there needs to emphasis on getting from point a to point b. Another problem with this current era is that interesting character beats like how Scott and jean got to where they are now are just simply skipped. They had so much to go through from when they were last together, but we didnt get to see any of it. Instead they’re just now together like nothing happened and are hinted at being with Wolverine.

Amazing Member

Let the cuckoos have different hairstyles and colors again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    Consistency with everyone's eye colours. Especially Gambit's.

A plausible reason why Jubilee and Gambit would risk their lives, Shogo's life and the cats by living in such a dangerous place.

More people questioning the current status quo.

"Psylocke" going back to her old name Kwannon or Revanche.

Tone down Sinister's flamboyance. He's TOO different now.

More consistency with powers. Especially Rogue and Gambit.

Characters properly acknowledging past relationships.
    All of this.

Also would LOVE to not see any new characters for awhile (at least 10 years). There’s so much wasted potential.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

I’d like for Krakoa to have locations other than a culturally dubious tourist trap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Give logan a beard, and more interactions. Show us more down time. Have laura hange out with Jubilee, helion tell a story about all the time he almost died, sunspot being himself. Give us that slice of life ****
    This, he looked great in Death of Wolverine with his beard and in the movie Logan with a beard. Also update his hair, the pointy look is iconic but it's time to move on to a normal haircut.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Good writing.
    LMAO. Perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Sometimes I miss these and caption boxes.

Do this, super simple.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.