Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Ever met or seen someone FAMOUS?

Saw the Beastie Boys in October '92. Adam Yauch was out front before the concert skating in the car park. He chatted with a coupla fans. I was happy to let him be.

Also saw Jackie Chan filming a scene for a movie called Mr Nice Guy in the 90's. Sammo was directing him and they were making it near Melbourne's Chinatown . Hardly discreet! Hundreds of people lined the other side of the street to watch him in action.

Have YOU met someone famous, watched them walk by, film a movie etc.?

I live in New York. Seen lots of famous people. At restaurants, on the street, in subways.

Also, after Broadway shows, if you hang out at the stage door, the actors say hi as they leave.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-21-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I ate sushi a couple of tables away from Ray Manzarek. I waved at him and he waved back.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Mighty Member

Thanks. Ever had a LAME sorta-famous meeting?

I went to Steve Irwin's zoo the day after his funeral.

I had a fella from the Aussie edition of 60 minutes ask me which the bathroom was.

My brother once worked with the son of the crazy hockey mask guy from Mad Max...

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Some years back Johnny Depp was filming "Public Enemy" in Lake County Indiana. John Dillinger famously broke out of the Crown Point Jail back in the 1930s. He spent about a week or so there filming on location. I drove there one afternoon to stand around to see if I could see anything. They had sawhorse barriers set up around the site. As the day grew late one of the production assistants came out to say we should go home since he wouldn't be coming out to meet with the fans. Many of us didn't budge anyway since there was only one way out IIRC. Before long he did come out stepped down from the front porch and then proceeded to go around the enclosure greeting the people. When he was near where I was standing he even did his Captain Jack voice for a child standing just in front of where I was. I also got to shake his hand. I know he's had a lot of bad publicity lately but IMO if he did that against his the wishes of the production managers then he can't be all that bad.

The guy next to him was one of the ones that wanted the crowd to break up and go home. It wasn't a huge crowd...maybe a hundred.

Years back, I did see a play in Chicago's Shubert Theater for a revival of the play "Sherlock Holmes" starring Leonard Nimoy as Holmes and Alan Sues (from the old Laugh In show) as Professor Moriarty. I also saw the play Dracula at the same theater a few years later and Jeremy Brett was playing Dracula. Unfortunately, his understudy David Dukes had to go on for him as he was not feeling well that day I gather. I remember seeing Dukes dashing through the lobby not knowing who he was at the time. He worked mosty in TV IIRC. I wish I had seen Jeremy Brett. This was before he started doing the Sherlock Holmes series that we saw in the U.S.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-21-2021 at 06:04 PM.

Ive met a couple famous people. The first was Weird Al. He did a concert at the Great Wolf amphitheater. he put on a great show. About 2 hours. it ended at 9pm. We hung around the exit area where he would be leaving. The Public could no normally get back there but my friend worked there and knew how to get us back to the area. We waited and hung out for 2 hours before he came out. We wernt there to bug him Just wanted to see him and wave. But when we waved he came over and said hi and started to talk to us. His manager or publicist or whoever wasnt really happy about that. But after giving a 2 hour show and it being late at night he stayed and talked to us for about 15 or 20 minutes just answering questions we shook his hand and he was just the nicest dude in the world. We could tell he was tired but we had a huge thrill talking to him we didnt want to leave. After some time his manager who whoever rudely told us to leave and we did and Al (He said to call him Al) just gave us a "What can ya do" Shrug of his shoulders.

Also my favorite baseball player of all time Sam Lecure a former pitcher for The Reds and one of the broadcasters on the pre and post game. They do the pre and post games at Great American Ball Park and fans can go hang out. Well I really want to go meet him and get my baseball card signed. But I have way to hard of a time leaving the house and that crowd is too big for me to even try and handle. But my friend went and told Sam he was my favorite player and that shocked Sam because lets be honest the guy was not very good at all. Well My friend went to take his picture but Sam instead had him make a video and Sam Said

"Hello Nick. I am at great American with your friend. i hear you are a huge fan. Just wanted to say thanks for being a fan and watching me. I hope you get to the ball park soon and when you do come by and see me and we will talk and have a soda."

That made my day so much I was kicked into a high energy manic phase for two days. I watch this video every day
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I live in New York. Seen lots of famous people. At restaurants, on the street, in subways.

Also, after Broadway shows, if you hang out at the stage door, the actors say hi as they leave.
    I was an intern in a New York City radio station's news department (at a station that no longer exists) many decades ago, so I met quite a few famous people through that.

The first famous person I remember meeting was Debbie Reynolds, when I was around 10 or 11. The last was right before COVID, I was at a fancy coffee bar and Jerry Seinfeld was eating there with his wife and kids. We sat near each other.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Not met were I spoke with them but I took a fitness course that was being taught by Tom Platz and Aaron Baker was a student. Saw Lee Priest at a mall when he lived in Vegas. Tank Abbot was a patient of a doctor I used to work. And Rick Harrison's used to live a few houses from me. My kid befriending his daughter who invited us to a bday party that Rick attended. But like I said, never spoke with them, just saw them.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

In March of 1982, I met Marie Osmond whom I've always had the hots for at a charity event here in Philly. And yes, I looked like a complete and total dork in my Star Blazers Fan Club t-shirt!

me and marie.jpg
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Fantastic Member

I once had Mario Lemieux, arguably (but not really) the greatest hockey player ever, walk into where I work. I walked up to him and told him that I thought he looked really familiar. He told me who he was and I was awe struck.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    In March of 1982, I met Marie Osmond whom I've always had the hots for at a charity event here in Philly. And yes, I looked like a complete and total dork in my Star Blazers Fan Club t-shirt!

me and marie.jpg
    My dad is a huge fan of the Osmonds. That photo made me smile it just screams 80's

Was she nice. I have heard stories she can be a bit standoffish?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Played bridge against Omar Sharif and Benito Garozzo (the multiple Italian World Champion).

It was an open tournament in which mugs like me could play against wonderful players such as Benito G and Omar S.

My partner of the time wasn’t remotely starstruck, she said something like “I was hoping to play against Pietro Forquet, he’s a real dreamboat”. (He…like Garozzo was a multiple world champion.)

I've met several at various cons and meet and greets-- several Mystery Science Theater 3000 actors and actresses (Joel, Frank, Trace, Bill, Jonah, Rebecca, etc.), Alex Kingston, Scott Adsit, various voice actors, Dean Stockwell, and more. However, if we're not counting organized events, I've seen (but not interacted) with a few-- Kenneth Branaugh was filming in the town I lived in and I swore I walked past him on the street. I also saw Darryl Hannah filming a scene in that town's park. I saw the Ghost Adventures crew get off a bus in that town as well. In Disney World, I saw Warwick Davis going around Epcot (he was there for the Hollywood Studios annual Star Wars event). I was tempted to say something, but knew he was just enjoying himself and didn't want to draw attention to him or bother him or anything.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    My dad is a huge fan of the Osmonds. That photo made me smile it just screams 80's

Was she nice. I have heard stories she can be a bit standoffish?
    Oh, yes, she was very nice. Tiny, too. If memory serves, Marie wore three inch heels that day and I was still head and shoulders over her.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!