Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Cool stuff, IM! Hate to admit it, but I've never been to a ComicCon. Only Strategcon, where you meet tabletop game designers who ... aren't as famous.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

I used to be a reporter at People magazine, so met and interviewed lots of famous people. I didn't think it was that big a deal -- it's not like I became best buds with any of them and they most likely didn't remember me the moment I left their house.

But relatives and friends loved hearing about the encounters. I left People in 2010 and now almost never see famous people. I can't say I miss meeting celebs, but my relatives and friends are no longer very interested in hearing about my job.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

I am very envious. I am unfamiliar with most famous bridge players, but I do know Sharif was an excellent player who loved the game. The closest I ever got to a situation like that was playing bridge with one of Alger Hiss' lawyers.
    He was certainly much better than I! And his partner on the day Benito Garozzo was widely regarded as the best player in the world for nigh on 20 years. (Think most people at the time thought it was either him, or a fellow Italian Giorgio Belladonna…the Italians were undisputed world team champions for year after year back then.)

Back then a lot of the UK pairs duplicate tournaments were open entry, all you had to do was pay a pretty modest competition fee, and turn up. It was one aspect of the game back then I really liked…you could actually play against an amazing range of opponents.

I was borderline obsessed with the game back then (though deep down preferred rubber bridge to tournament play, my partner almost dragged me to tournaments). Not played for many a year…that would have amazed my 20 year old self.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Cool stuff, IM! Hate to admit it, but I've never been to a ComicCon. Only Strategcon, where you meet tabletop game designers who ... aren't as famous.
    I had been to a few local ones that weren't a long drive away. Those can be fun if you like looking for back issues or some random toys. One of the first ones I went to that was on a somewhat larger scales was in Tinley Park in Illinois. It wasn't that far of a drive for me. It mostly had booths selling back issues and maybe a bootleg copy of Roger Corman's unreleased Fantastic Four movie. They did have two celebrities from Star Trek. One was the actress who played Spock's betrothed T'Pring. Her name is Arlene Martel. She was chewing gum and looked bored. She did keep her looks though. Also at that table was Michael Forrest who played the god Apollo in one episode.

I doubt if I will go to a big one like C2E2 again. It is crazy crowded now. In earlier ones it wasn't hard to get into some of the special event rooms by just lining up. There was no extra charge. Now they have some that you may have to pay extra to attend on top of your pass for the day. The one to meet Stan Lee was like that. For a smaller fee he would sign a comic or book, etc.

Astonishing Member

I'm old, so it is perhaps not too surprising that I have met and talked with several quite well-known people during the course of my like. For the most part it was not too different from meeting and talking with anyone else.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

My American cousin and I watched the 2002 WTA Year-End Finals at the (now-renamed) Staples Center in Los Angeles as she lives in LA County. It was a vacation for me and my parents. The finalists were Serena Williams and Kim Clijsters, and we happened be seated near Serena's team. Dad Richard was there and during a break in the match Venus (whom many spectators including us two didn't realize was there as well) suddenly stood up and walked in front of our row. Everyone started calling and waving at her and she briefly looked our way and waved back. After Serena lost I managed to get Kim to autograph my ticket.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

When I was a kid, my family was vacationing in Santa Fe and stumbled upon the set of the movie Twins and got to see Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito up close. We were invited - along with dozens of other onlookers who had gathered around the set - to walk around in the background of a scene. They did 9 or 10 takes, and I was in all but one of them. Of course, the one I wasn't in ended up being in the final cut. You can see my dad and brother walk by for a moment or two, though.

About 10 or so years ago, I took an ex-girlfriend who was a huge Jeopardy fan to see Alex Trebek give a speech at a local university. While we were waiting to get into the venue, Alex happened to walk right by us, and stopped about five feet away to talk to someone for a minute. I nudged my friend and whispered, "There he is!" She was so nervous she couldn't even look at him!

I took a date to a local wrestling show a few years back, and we happened to be sitting next some relatives of pro wrestlers Rodney Mack and Jazz. During an intermission, Rodney and Jazz came over to visit with their family, and we got to shake hands with them and chat for a bit.

I met many celebs mostly from conventions. Half of them have since passed on too. Some of the people I've met are...

Alice Cooper
    Adam West
    Leonard Nimoy
    William Shatner
    George Romero
    Al Lewis
    Martin Landau
    Ozzy Osbourne with the original Black Sabbath
    Milla Jovovich

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    I met many celebs mostly from conventions. Half of them have since passed on too. Some of the people I've met are...

Alice Cooper
    Adam West
    Leonard Nimoy
    William Shatner
    George Romero
    Al Lewis
    Martin Landau
    Ozzy Osbourne with the original Black Sabbath
    Milla Jovovich
    This group would be great together at a coctail party of something. Lucky you! I imagine Al "Grandpa Munster" was pretty entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This group would be great together at a coctail party of something. Lucky you! I imagine Al "Grandpa Munster" was pretty entertaining.
    He was. I met him outside on a comedy club where he performed back in late August of 1998. I was so starstruck and we acted like we haven't seen each other in a long time. He was such a genuine, decent guy. I didn't ask for a autograph or get a picture, but I was glad to have gotten to meet him.