Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Arrow had also gotten very bad under Guggenheim and his stint writing the same character in the comics was trash, so the decision-making process to hire him was questionable at best.
    After hearing about so many behind-the-scenes issues with editors and companies as a whole, I get the impression that the people in charge are just out of touch. I remember reading a Substack from a writer, and Marvel almost went with Bendis over Hickman for the future of X-Men. Bendis becoming DC-exclusive killed those plans.
    2024: The Year of Hellion

Just reading this thread brings up a lot of bad memories.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Hickman and Krakoa Era

Astonishing Member

Rembering all of these **** storys fill me with hatred and rage. I don't want to rember any of this

First and foremost, the (almost) entirety of Chuck Austen's run. There were some arcs that were just weird, and some that were eye rolling and some that were flat out terrible. The worst probably being the Draco story, but my god, there's so many bad arcs in that run. What's even more frustrating is his last two issues - they were brilliant (IMO) and so thought provoking. So it's frustrating that he COULD write well, but chose to give us the werewolf arc, Angel and Husk sky-sexing in front of her mom, the Draco, the Northstar-Iceman drama (which ironically...could have worked!) and the whole thing with the crucifying and the evil church. God. What batshitasshattery.

Warren Ellis's Astonishing X-Men "Ghost Box" and "Ghost Boxes" arcs. If I had to choose a single arc of a story rather than a general run, I'd actually put this story on par with the Draco. Warren Ellis can be brilliant and Warren Ellis can be terrible. This was terrible Ellis at his most terrible.

Maybe it's because I grew up to the point that I moved beyond the frame of mind for these stories, but much of Wolverine & The X-Men's run was a bit immature for my taste. The Hellfire kids arc in that story may have been the best example of what I'm talking about though. Snot Boy....UGH.

Peter Milligan's Bizarre Love Triangle was just cringeworthy. His run wasn't terrible as just lackluster other wise, but that entire arc just felt too much like a Chuck Austen arc. The final issue with the judgement of Mystique wasn't too bad though, so at least it had that.

Claremont when he took over Exiles. ~90 great issues, and then it went to ****. He was amazing in his heyday, but he'd certainly lost it by the time he came onboard.

Adding in -- I can't believe I forgot-- BMB's "The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier". BMB's run in general after it's first year became really uninteresting (as most of his runs tend to to), and as usual they got pretty crappy towards the ending, but this one....worst case of story decompression EVER. I think, if it had been one or two issues, it would have been fine. But the damn thing dragged on longer than it had any right to.

Going back further, since most of these are from prior to the turn of the century....to me there's not a whole lot. Claremont (in those times), Lee, Lobdell, Nicieza, Simonson, Hama, David - they weren't perfect, but there wasn't much that was memorable because it was bad. Admittedly it could totally be rosecolored glasses, but even stories like The Twelve and Onslaught, often joked about these days, were decent to me. Not the best of times but not the worst either.

Of the whole 80/90s era I'd say Howard Mackie's run at the tail end of X-Factor was probably the worst it got. It was pretty terrible, but I'd still put it above all the other examples above.
    Last edited by Captain Nash; 11-22-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Its apparent that I cope by disassociating because I remember so little from Rosenberg and Guggenheim's runs. I have a visceral, negative reaction to Fraction's run but at this point I don't remember many details LOL.

IvX was really bad. Nobody looked good in that story.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

It's a long list.

The "Angels and Demons" aspect of Nightcrawler and Angel's tribal history.

Secondary mutations.

The DPS retcon.

Anything that results in yet another Summers brother popping up somewhere.

Hope Summers.

Pretty much everything that happened to Madelyne after meeting Scott.

The death of Synch.

The borderline incestuous and/or bro/girl code violating dating habits of some of the X-characters.

Mass murdering, serial killing villains as heroes.

Anything and everything involving a Wolverine proxy, including clones, alternate reality versions, children, etc.

The pass-the-blunt aspect of the Phoenix Force. I guess now it's the Avengers' turn to take a toke.

Kitty Pryde's secret love affair with the N-word.

Anything and everything involving the mutant hysteria and the now broken metaphor.

Krakao.

There's more, but it's the holidays and I have to go play Grinch elsewhere.

IvX

Good call with Young X-Men and WATXM, and Amazing X-Men ), BOTA, AXIS and X-Men Gold
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 11-25-2021 at 02:30 PM.

Extraordinary X-Men’s Apocalypse War story
    IvX
    Death of X
    Last Will and Testament of Xavier
    X-Men Green
    Rosenberg’s entire Uncanny run

Avengers vs X-Men
    IvX
    X-Men Gold
    Rosenberg Uncanny X-Men
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Most of Bendis, especially O5-related stuff since they overstayed their welcome imo

IVX.
    The final issue of HOUSE OF M
    Uncanny Avengers VOL 1 by Remender.

House of M/Decimation
    Anything Chuck Austen ever touched
    Guggenhack on Gold
    IvX physically hurt to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    IVX.
    The final issue of HOUSE OF M
    Uncanny Avengers VOL 1 by Remender.
    Only Final Issue? Everything from House of M was abysmal. It brought Way and Aaron into the dubious Mystique history with Logan plus it made Logan a nazi. F$%!e the entire HoM family vice versa.
    Last edited by Vishop; 11-25-2021 at 09:45 PM.