Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

AvX
    Extraordinary X-Men to IvX
    Chuck Austen's run
    Generation Hope
    Young X-Men
    Fraction's Uncanny X-Men
    Bendis All-New // Uncanny to X-Men: Blue (anything 05 related)
    Alan Davis X-Men run
    Rosenberg Uncanny X-Men
    Larry Hama's Generation X
    Battle of the Atom
    Mojoverse Worldwide
    X of Swords
    Last edited by NewMutant; 11-22-2021 at 10:54 AM.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sandmans_Raven View Post
    The Milligan run was bad but Bizarre Love Triangle was especially awful.
    Welp Milligan implicitly says that this comic arc is "bizarre" lol

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I thought it'd be fun to ask because I just love the raw passion and rage people have when they talk about something truly awful.

What are some stories, arcs or runs that you absolutely hate? It could be because it's full of plot holes, or because your favorite character was completely OOC, or because it was majorly disappointing, or whatever. What would you consider to be among the worst X-Men stuff, and why?
    X Lives of Wolverine/X Deaths of Wolverine. He is over used and he seems like a macguffin at times so not fond of these even before they come out.

Chuck Austen's run
    AvX
    IvX

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    1. IvX. The less said, the better.
    2. Rosenberg's run. Shockingly bad the whole way through.
    3. Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men. The characters he introduced came off like bad jokes, the Hellfire Kids were especially heinous but Shark Girl was awful too. Also, pairing Husk with Toad? Gross.
    Husk and Toad were especially gross because he's supposed to be slightly older thsn the O5.

And I pretty much hate anything Milligan.
    My flag is bacon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Welp Milligan implicitly says that this comic arc is "bizarre" lol
    Rocky Horror is bizarre. Milligan's crap is just plain garbage.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - The Time Warp Scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w0WPkB3XJ4

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) - Sweet Transvestite Scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZDWZFtyWY
    Last edited by rcaguy; 11-22-2021 at 12:00 AM.

BANNED

Decimation in general and all of the machismo that it promoted. That was a very edgy and manly era of X-Men.

The forced Inhumans stuff. Those characters didn't exist to me before, but now the entire franchise is on my hate-list.

Phoenix Resurrection. Rosenberg stripping Jean of agency and power during her Phoenix stories was sexist garbage. Also, Jean was in it for all of like 3 pages.

On a similar wavelength, Endsong and AvX tick me off for trying to take the connection to the Phoenix from Jean to graft it on to Cyclops himself. Annoying.

The Sisterhood was dumb. As was Uncanny entirely in that era. And I hate the art from that era. If the Dodsons and Land ever do more X-Men stuff it'll be too soon.

That Mojo crossover Cullen Bunn did with I don't remember who else. I dislike Mojo and "wackiness" in general.

Xavier Jr and Battle of the Atom. That was completely annoying, scattershot random wackiness, plus "kids from the future" for added trashery.

Matthew Mallard or whatever his name was from the Bendis run.

That story the aforementioned Rosenberg wrote with the other two writers that relaunched Uncanny. Awful.

The way Morrison wrote that the world ends if Cyclops isn't with the X-Men. Major eye-roll. Still like New X-Men overall, but the self-insertion was over the top.

Ex of Swords: What a wacky, dumb and boring story. They made magic swords and tournament arcs uninteresting. Amazing.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 11-22-2021 at 12:13 AM.

Schism
    AvX
    IvX
    Bendis ANXM
    BotA
    DoX

Love/Hate
    Messiah Complex
    Remender X-force
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Extraordinary Member

The New Mutants part of Inferno. Should have been an epic finale for Magik but instead was major character regression as Simonsen forgot what happened in her origin and had her acting very OOC the whole run and basing her characterization and even the villain of the story off of her faulty memory. The whole Simonsen run of New Mutants saw the character dumbed down and regressed and seemed to be more focused on trying to turn Magneto into a villain again instead of moving the New mutants' stories forward in any meaningful way.

Fraction's Uncanny X-Men. I used to hate this run. This was before Gillen started to make me like Cyclops again and it was a huge Cyclops fanfiction. Plus his issues were a very weak link in Second Coming and really brought the event down. Time has dulled my dislike into indifference.

Death of X: While the terrigen cloud storyline was always bad, this was the moment it became clear it was unsalvageable. After over a year of saying Cyclops did something so horrible and that he was 'worse than Hitler,' they couldn't even commit to that.

Guggenheim's X-Men Gold. By far the worst flagship X-Men book I've ever read. Basically a Kitty and Piotr fanfic, but a million times worse than Fraction. The way characters like Storm were treated to make Kitty look good. His best issue was on par with the worst issues of other runs. It was actually shocking when he finally wrote an issue that displayed basic competence, even though it wasn't even that good.

Tini Howard's Excalibur. The issues of this I've read are shockingly bad. The issue where Brian and Betsy get their swords was by far the worst in X of Swords even with the event devolving into a farce in the second half. I haven't read much of this, but what little I have makes me 100% understand the complaints.

Right now the one that comes to mind is that will ot Xavier ( don't remember the exact name or the arc) from Bendis' run. I guess I'm one of the weirdos who did like the run as a whole , even if it didn't go anywhere; in retrospect it was still better than what Lemire, Guggenheim and Rosenberg brought to the table, IMO.

But that arc, wow . I can't defend it or justify it . Bendis spent like...6? 7 issues I think? I don't remember exactly but he essentially wasted a large amount of issues telling a non story. Details are foggy but basically the arc could be solved in one sentence: Eva goes to the past and solves the conflict in like a page or two. After 7 issues !!! The only good thing to come out of it was that panel where Emma is crying from laughter when we discover Xavier married Raven . That was hilarious

Right, also as mentioned by pretty much everybody, IvX sucked. IMO AvX was fun at times but in IvX the mutants were just...stupid. And the ending, wow . They really had Medusa say : But I didn't know it was killing mutants and they eventually would all die !!! Girl bye. You knew damn well mutants were dying (They relocated to hell to escape your **** !!! Like wtf???) and now you wanna pull that off ? That was really insulting the reader's intelligence . He could've still written the same scene , just with Medusa being honest and saying essentially: yeah we fucked this up but no more. And let her destroy the cloud . I'll never forget this when I see her again in the comics, that she is a liar and full of ****.

Edit : People mention Emma as being the most out of character and I partially agree, especially at the part where death of x was all on her to escalate the conflict . And her also going crazy over Scott dying . But I don't see her attack and killing of inhumans as OOC . Only the method she used for it was : A sentinel. IMO she has always been, along with Magneto, the one who would go there in a situation of war ( and it pretty much was because mutantkind would go completely extinct and the Inhumans were not willing to destroy the damn cloud ) .

To me the biggest character assassination here was Storm . She was being far too passive and accommodating to Medusa. The moment she saw mutants dying ? The Storm I'm used to read would be a lot more active , and when Medusa essentially refused to destroy the cloud, she would do it her damn self , cause she always could. Punk era Storm would never take her people to hell because someone was mass murdering mutants( Although outback was kind of silly of her). Just like the Storm in this era wouldn't either . Ewing Storm would light Medusa's ass up . I understand that sometimes characters do what isn't expected of them ( just like real people) but her passiveness here didn't read true to her entire character history. Storm acts and takes risks.

I will come back when I remember more stories
    Last edited by Fall-From-Grace; 11-22-2021 at 03:24 AM.

Milligan's X-Men
    Schism
    AvX
    Extraordinary X-Men
    All-New X-Men vol 2
    Death of X
    IvX
    X-Men Gold
    Rosenberg's UXM

Astonishing Member

Here comes Tomorrow
    AvX
    IvX
    Schism

Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post
    Young X-Men: The series that killed off editorial interest in the New X-Men kids. Guggenheim wrote a dreadful series centred on his own new character the awful Ink (who's not even a mutant). Why introduce boring one note new characters like Ink and Graymalkin when fan favourites like Surge, Hellion etc.. aren't being used elsewhere.
    For anyone who was reading at the time, was there an explanation as to why New X-Men switched to Young X-Men? Seems odd that they would take a successful concept and just ruin it, all while retconning in new mutants while the status quo explicitly didn’t allow for that.

Mighty Member

Inhumans vs XMEN is definitely the worst. Even good writers couldn't have saved that. Avengers vx XMEN could have been good under a good writer at least.

More recently I'd say it's a battle between the most boring comic in a while (Guggenheim's XMEN) or the one that really sucked (Rosenberg's XMEN).

I haven't read XMEN Green but those recap threads always sound horrible. Like a car crash of bad fan fic. At least that's not the main book though...

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    You beat me to it. It ranks as the worst case of character assassination in X-Men history. Then they tried to make him a cyborg.
    Lol, you know we gotta get our shots in!