Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Baby-dupe gate

Jamie Madrox hooking up with his (former) preteen secretary

Way of X’s Very Special handling of the Lost/Fabian Cortez conflict

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

The entirety of Austen's run, but especially anything he wrote involving women, Northstar, wolves, religion or Abyss.

Murder at the Mansion was a real low point of Morrison's very up-and-down run (the ups were wonderful though)

The Princess Diana arc of X-Statix (I accept that wasn't all the writer's fault though)

Sad to say it, but Claremont's run on The Incredible Amazing Psylocke and Five Other Idiots Fix Broken Realities and Say What The Devil(might have been called Exiles, actually)

Anything by Bendis, bar one good Magneto issue.

Victor Grishler's "Vampires are currently the hotness" X-Men book. Loathed every excruciating minute of it.

Mark Millar's Ultimate X-Men.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I'll quote those that have hit the same notes as I

Quote Originally Posted by Nopozyzy View Post
    Peter Mulligan's entire run. Gambit was an incompetent clown. Rogue was weak and emo. Iceman was a baby. Havok was a coward. It was bad. The Black Panther crossover had one of Gambit's worst moments where he stupidly tries to help Polaris take down some cameras and hit a gas pipe taking out the whole team.

Chunks of Chuck Austen's run like blind Gambit and the Draco.

The Age of Apocalypse revisits. Lots of plotholes and pointless deaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    AvX. Logan sides with work friends over family and Cable is sidelined in a coma for the whole event… the underlying cause of which he spent 17 f’ing years of his life preparing Hope for, only to have her learn what she needed to know from Spider-man and Iron Fist in the end. What a piece of $#!t that was.
    Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post

Inhumans v X-Men: The whole confilct is contrived nonsense and Emma Frost's 'heel' turn ignores decades of character growth and for what?

AvX : Cyclops was clearly right - I can forgive most of it's sins (as we're in a crossover so we are acting out of character-itis) but I despise how it doesn't do anything meaningful with Rachel's time as the Phoenix.

Austen Run: Someone else will cover it more eloquently than myself, but good god who let this man right an X-Men book? The Draco is the single worst X-Men story of all time.

Young X-Men: The series that killed off editorial interest in the New X-Men kids. Guggenheim wrote a dreadful series centred on his own new character the awful Ink (who's not even a mutant). Why introduce boring one note new characters like Ink and Graymalkin when fan favourites like Surge, Hellion etc.. aren't being used elsewhere.

Rosenberg's Uncanny: A miserable murder fest, trans panic murder of Rahne, dead characters return for a few panels (with no explanation) just to be immediatley killed off. Larrocca's art at the worst it's ever been. I sympathise that he knew his run was a placeholder pre HOX/POX but this was a massive disaapointment. I loved his New Mutants: Dead Souls mini and this series didn't even give that an interesting conclusion.

Wolverine and the X-Men: Wolverine is at his worst in this era, coming off of Schism and with AvX happening at this time - Marvel are encouraging me to activley dislike the main character of the book they are trying to sell me! All of the interesting Academy X-Kids are shunted off to be background characters and are replaced by one note characters like Shark Girl, Eye Boy & Kid Gladiator. I also can't get my head around Quentin being a good guy? He's a creepy incel in Riot at Xavier's and I liked him better as an unapologetic areshole. Finally, the Hellfire brats are the worst villains in all of X-Men history - I can't take them serious at all and they seem to be the main villains for the entirety of Aaron's run.
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Extraordinary X-Men to IvX
    Chuck Austen's run
    Young X-Men
    Bendis All-New // Uncanny to X-Men: Blue (anything 05 related)
    I'll throw in that I didn't enjoy most of the Morrison work except for the building of Jean's character
    A good chunk of Claremont's return with Rachel's dino story hitting the hardest
    Anything on West Coast X-Men. The art was sometimes the only good points when not Land.
    Tischman's Cable (mostly because I hated how they dropped Weinberg)

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

The 1st volume of Excalibur. Hated it, Warpies, Warwolves, Saturnyne/Sat Ur nine/Coutney, so much annoyance. Still do not understand why people say it was better than the current volume. As it was crap.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    For anyone who was reading at the time, was there an explanation as to why New X-Men switched to Young X-Men? Seems odd that they would take a successful concept and just ruin it, all while retconning in new mutants while the status quo explicitly didn’t allow for that.
    IIRC, Young X-Men happened because Kyost could only take on so much comic work in addition to their screenwriting jobs, and they chose to do X-Force alone and drop NXM. NXM was successful enough that editorial wanted to keep a young X-Book going after the Divided We Stand fallout, and Guggs got the gig. I've got no clue why he went with the cast he did, except maybe the fact that they had less following than the spotlight kids from the Weir/ DeFilipis and Kyle/Yost runs meant it was easier to get permission to wreck them (a la Dust and Wolf Cub).

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    The 1st volume of Excalibur. Hated it, Warpies, Warwolves, Saturnyne/Sat Ur nine/Coutney, so much annoyance. Still do not understand why people say it was better than the current volume. As it was crap.
    Fair play on this one! I've never disagreed with a comment so much in my life.

My favourite part of the current volume is whenever they call back to Claremont/Davis stuff from Vol.1 or the Davis/Moore/Delano Captain Britain stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    IIRC, Young X-Men happened because Kyost could only take on so much comic work in addition to their screenwriting jobs, and they chose to do X-Force alone and drop NXM. NXM was successful enough that editorial wanted to keep a young X-Book going after the Divided We Stand fallout, and Guggs got the gig. I've got no clue why he went with the cast he did, except maybe the fact that they had less following than the spotlight kids from the Weir/ DeFilipis and Kyle/Yost runs meant it was easier to get permission to wreck them (a la Dust and Wolf Cub).
    As someone who love the Kyle/Yost stuff but read it all 5 or so years after it came out, this all interesting background stuff.

The bigger question for me is who let Guggenheim write Gold?

Did they just ignore how awful his previous X-Men output was?

Extraordinary Member

I would never say I hate Excalibur vol. 1, but I do resent it for being the reason Claremont left New Mutants, leading to that series going downhill very fast. The fact that I prefer his work on Uncanny and New Mutants to his work on Excalibur doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post
    As someone who love the Kyle/Yost stuff but read it all 5 or so years after it came out, this all interesting background stuff.

The bigger question for me is who let Guggenheim write Gold?

Did they just ignore how awful his previous X-Men output was?
    Pretty much yes, because having the writer of Green Arrow was apparently enough of a catch to disregard that his actual comics work wasn't that great.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 11-22-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Pretty much yes, because having the writer of Green Arrow was apparently enough of a catch to disregard that his actual comics work wasn't that great.
    Arrow had also gotten very bad under Guggenheim and his stint writing the same character in the comics was trash, so the decision-making process to hire him was questionable at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Arrow had also gotten very bad under Guggenheim and his stint writing the same character in the comics was trash, so the decision-making process to hire him was questionable at best.
    Absolutely no argument here.

...there is so much. Don't know where to start. There is so much mediocre bullshit happening in X-Men comics in the last 20 years or so.......

From the top of my head:

Chuck Austen's "Draco" storyline in Uncanny X-Men. Horrible, absolutely horrible!

Most of the stuff Bendis has written for the X-Men...

The Excalibur and Marauders comic books during the Hickman launch last year. Uff, really hated those.
    Last edited by Exodus; 11-22-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Avengers vs X-Men gives me a new level of cringe every day.

Gold makes me want to punch people. Absolute drivel.

Anything by Bendis, Austen, or Claremont after his initial run.