Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default If Capcom make another Marvel Fighting game, Back to 90s look or Today.

Should Capcom go back to its roots in the 90s and Based the Sprites or models of the X-characters on back then since we getting Disney X-MEN 97 and its a celebration of it or should it follow the modern comics of the Krakoa Era X-men. What you think. whether its a another entry of Marvel vs Capcom and this time they gonna make things right with headlining the X-MEN or start small to win fans over with X-MEN Children Atom 2 or X-MEN vs Street Fighter 2. if going for the 90s look they use the 90s voice actors that are coming back with Carl Dodd doing Wolverine or Krakoa Era with Steve Blum doing Logan. man interesting what if and different scenarios or maybe a mix mash of both. Hell I'm not sure if the sliding timescale work on the Capcom Street Fighter Universe that sets in the 90s with dated reference like Zangief ending dancing with Mikhail Gorbachev and Fei Long and Chun-li in a more free Hong Kong China. yeah, man thinking about it, there's alot of factors involve.

Today. I say go modern era.

Astonishing Member

Most comic characters have "timeless" or "classic" outfits which even casual non-comic fans associate with them, but which can be modified to a degree if they retain most of the source versions elements.

See the MANY versions of Wolverine's yellow or brown outfit.

The "90's" look for many X-men characters that appeared in those fighting games, just happens to be exactly those classic outfits (funny enough in part because they appared with them in those games).

The most logical thing to do is therefor to stick to variants of these "classic" outfits, rather than trying to chase what is current in the comics. Even more with how short lived new outfits tend to be when they are a too great departures from the classics.

Also chasing "current" trends and designs for characters has the extremely high risk of making them outdated quickly in combination with making fans disapointed who wanted the "classic" designs.´

Oh and the modern Krakoa era is currently in steady decline in popularity and unproven to the much more larger (compared to the comic readership) video game audience who would likely not be very into the current direction from the comics. So another reason for the developers to make a hard pass towards picking up any of it over the proven "classic" designs.
    Last edited by Grunty; 11-21-2021 at 05:54 PM.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

I wouldn’t mind the updated graphics but the MvC2 designs will always be my favorite

Edit: if we're talking costumes then definitely updated with the old ones as alt options
    Last edited by Sandmans_Raven; 11-22-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: misread the question
    Make Good Art

should be a Mix of Both to promote what is current but also to harken back to eras fans may prefer its not an either or imo.

I don't see them picking current comics stuff, MvC games will pick what's iconic over what's current, with a few exceptions like how the Hulk in those older games is Professor instead of Savage (Even then, his appearance isn't that different), but less popular characters could get whatever, while the more popular ones get the iconic looks.

So for example, if Jean is added, she'll most likely be dressed like the Phoenix instead of, whatever other costumes she had.

And about the kind of graphics, very unlikely they'd bother going for sprites, since sprites are actually more expensive than 3D models nowadays, it's just not worth it, and while there are companies that still use sprites, Capcom ain't one of them.

Another advantage is that using 3D models means they can make more costumes, so, say, by default Cyke gets his 90's costume, but he can get whatever other costumes as extras, like his classic comics look.

Maybe give them some updated versions of their classic suits. Like so…

93A68337-49E7-4488-8575-EDB431A36956.jpg

New looks. Enough already with the 90’s x-men nostalgia

90's designs as the alternate dlc costumes. Modern or classic as default. I just want the art style to look more like the cartoon/comics and not that weird attempt to match the MCU's more "realistic" designs they did with "Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite." Everyone looked soooo ugly.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    90's designs as the alternate dlc costumes. Modern or classic as default. I just want the art style to look more like the cartoon/comics and not that weird attempt to match the MCU's more "realistic" designs they did with "Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite." Everyone looked soooo ugly.
    Except early Chun-Li, she had the best face.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Except early Chun-Li, she had the best face.

Lol, this was the exact image I was thinking of when I typed that.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

After the debacle that was MVC Infinite, I doubt Capcom will ever work with Marvel again.

Astonishing Member

There's the FreeMVC2 movement in recent months that hit up pretty fast with fans asking for a remaster of MVC2 for current consoles and mention that
    https://esports.gg/news/fgc/freemvc2...-to-rerelease/

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Honestly I would much rather have a full blown RPFG-Fighting game that allows you to choose a character and follow some of the storylines (similar to Legends), but have the how world (and space) as your area to play with characters and learn the important stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Lol, this was the exact image I was thinking of when I typed that.
    This and Ken's face in Street Fighter 5 shows how well Capcom was doing stuff .

Which reminds me of this masterpiece:

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    There's the FreeMVC2 movement in recent months that hit up pretty fast with fans asking for a remaster of MVC2 for current consoles and mention that
    https://esports.gg/news/fgc/freemvc2...-to-rerelease/
    In Street Fighter 5, a while after this movement started, they gave a character Ruby Heart's costume:

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/st...581342208?s=19

So hey, another evidence that Capcom is listening I guess.

Worth pointing out that even if this goes nowhere, MvC2 on emulators has rollback netcode now, meaning it has better online connection.

I'll honestly laugh if Capcom re-releases MvC2, and it either has no rollback or bad rollback like SF5, 'cause it'll make the fans really not want to bother with it and go play it on emulators lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    Honestly I would much rather have a full blown RPFG-Fighting game that allows you to choose a character and follow some of the storylines (similar to Legends), but have the how world (and space) as your area to play with characters and learn the important stories.
    As long as the RPG elements are optional when you can play vs someone else (Like Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3), that could be alright.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-23-2021 at 08:51 AM.