Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan DC reboot

Amazing Member

Default Fan DC reboot

If you could write a full on reboot with no limits what would you do to the world,characters,and stories in your own way.
    Constructed criticism is welcome here
    Last edited by Mindi; 11-21-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mindi View Post
    If you could write a full on reboot with no limits what would you do to the world,characters,and stories in your own way.
    Constructed criticism is welcome here
    I would separate books by timeline. Everything would have still happened but different books would take place in different eras. Each book would be in a different time period or line or books.

Gold line start of timeline
    Justice Society of America World War 2 - Start of Cold War
    Infinity Inc 1960s-70s

Silver Line 1980s-10 years ago- 5 years ago
    Justice League of America
    Teen Titans

Bronze Line Present day- 10 years into the future(JLA semi retired )
    Titans
    Young Justice
    Supersons

Platinum Line 20 years and beyond into the future
    Batman Beyond
    Legion of Superheroes

Annual crossovers would happen through time travel. You could play with things like Jay Garrick and Alan Scott getting stuck in present day having to train their grand children to be present day JSA. You could also have a Young Clark Kent in Legion going back and forth between the Silver and Platinum line of books.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Basically what they're doing now but I pick what I like
    Like for example, Dick becomes Nightwing because he grows up, not because Batman fired Robin
    Superboy of Smallville is the first superhero, followed by JSA
    Everyone either ages slowly including the civilians, making the JSA first-gen in their 50s today, and the JLAs 40s, or it's a sliding timeline where everyone aged normally, but everyone also has moving birthdays and adjusted backstory every time
    I'd pick the aging slowly. The second concept is too annoying if I have to adjust which war Rick Flag and Steve Trevor fought in every time without a reboot.

The infinity inc were the heroes of the 70/80s. They sit between the JSA and the Justice League.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

First thing I would do is no "Crisis" or any other major event. I would just wrap up the "old" universe and just kind of give everyone a happy ending. Second thing I would do is be honest with the fans about what I was doing. None of this "It's totally not a reboot, you guyzzzz!" like they pulled in the past. It is. And you need the support of the fans to do it. Now, onto the actual reboot...

Every major character would get an origin reboot called Genesis. So for Superman you would have Superman Genesis. This is, of course, his new origin going forward. For Batman you would get one called Batman Genesis. It would mostly consist of his training years with it ending with him going back to Gotham for Year One. Wonder Woman Genesis would have her saving Steve Trevor during WW2 and what she's been doing all these years. Including rescuing Donna as a baby. Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, etc. These would probably be about four or five issues each.

After that, each book skips forward ten years later. So Superman and Lois are married, Batman has had multiple Robins, WW has been active in man's world for several years now. The Justice League has been around for a few years. The Titans have also been around for a few years though not as long. The JSA existed during WW2 and WW was a member but they are mostly retired and/or dead now. The older titles get to keep their original numbering.

All the major events of Superman's life happened. Death, marriage, if he has kids, it will follow the lead of the show so he has two sons. But they would be little kids and not teenagers given the timeframe.

Batman has had at least three Robins. Dick, Jason, and Tim. Year One is canon.

Wonder Woman operated in secret for years. Including rescuing Donna as a baby. She runs a conflict resolution organization that works with various NGOs around the world. Artemis and Nubia are her "sidekicks".

The Titans have a rotating roster where some members age out and move on and others get replaced. Dick, Donna, Kory, Gar and Vic are the regular mentors to the younger generation.

There are two Flashes. Barry operates out of Central City and Wally operates out of Keystone.

There are multiple Earth based GL's. Hal, Guy, John, Kyle, and Jessica.

There is a multiverse but it isn't touched upon much.
    Greenlight the Smallville animated series, WB!

Anarky was a former Robin.

Astonishing Member

Establish the main cast of each roster and tell stories, avoid tropes and cliches associated with each franchise. Take the casts in new directions.

Justice League:
    Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Martian Manhunter
    Green Lantern(John)
    Flash (Wally)
    Aquaman

Outsiders:
    Black Lightning
    Thunder
    Geo Force
    Katana
    Metamorpho
    Signal
    Cassandra Cain
    Blue Devil

Titans:
    Nightwing
    Aqualad(Garth)
    Donna Troy
    Raven
    Beast Boy
    Starfire
    Arsenal
    Cyborg

Young Justice:
    Superboy(Kon)
    Impulse
    Robin/Red Robin/ Drake(Tim Drake)
    Wonder Girl (Cassie)
    Kid/Red Devil

Team Titans:
    Superboy(Jon)
    Lightning
    Terra(Tara)
    Robin(Damian)
    Liar Liar
    Blue Beetle(Jamie)
    Zachary Zatanna

JSA has such a deep roster, its hard to think up a starting one.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    First thing I would do is no "Crisis" or any other major event. I would just wrap up the "old" universe and just kind of give everyone a happy ending. Second thing I would do is be honest with the fans about what I was doing. None of this "It's totally not a reboot, you guyzzzz!" like they pulled in the past. It is. And you need the support of the fans to do it. Now, onto the actual reboot...

Every major character would get an origin reboot called Genesis. So for Superman you would have Superman Genesis. This is, of course, his new origin going forward. For Batman you would get one called Batman Genesis. It would mostly consist of his training years with it ending with him going back to Gotham for Year One. Wonder Woman Genesis would have her saving Steve Trevor during WW2 and what she's been doing all these years. Including rescuing Donna as a baby. Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow, etc. These would probably be about four or five issues each.

After that, each book skips forward ten years later. So Superman and Lois are married, Batman has had multiple Robins, WW has been active in man's world for several years now. The Justice League has been around for a few years. The Titans have also been around for a few years though not as long. The JSA existed during WW2 and WW was a member but they are mostly retired and/or dead now. The older titles get to keep their original numbering.

All the major events of Superman's life happened. Death, marriage, if he has kids, it will follow the lead of the show so he has two sons. But they would be little kids and not teenagers given the timeframe.

Batman has had at least three Robins. Dick, Jason, and Tim. Year One is canon.

Wonder Woman operated in secret for years. Including rescuing Donna as a baby. She runs a conflict resolution organization that works with various NGOs around the world. Artemis and Nubia are her "sidekicks".

The Titans have a rotating roster where some members age out and move on and others get replaced. Dick, Donna, Kory, Gar and Vic are the regular mentors to the younger generation.

There are two Flashes. Barry operates out of Central City and Wally operates out of Keystone.

There are multiple Earth based GL's. Hal, Guy, John, Kyle, and Jessica.

There is a multiverse but it isn't touched upon much.
    I would buy every part of this.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

I’d make the 20 year reboot official and just plot out a 20 year overarching story beginning middle and end for the whole DC universe. With creators knowing what end game is they would be free to do what ever they want(within reason) just as long as the final destination is reached. It would also give the universe something to work towards, without hampering stories on a smaller scale.

Event stories would be fewer and farther between(make them mean something again) and when they do happen they should be major milestones towards that final 20th year destination.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Id make the 20 year reboot official and just plot out a 20 year overarching story beginning middle and end for the whole DC universe. With creators knowing what end game is they would be free to do what ever they want(within reason) just as long as the final destination is reached. It would also give the universe something to work towards, without hampering stories on a smaller scale.

Event stories would be fewer and farther between(make them mean something again) and when they do happen they should be major milestones towards that final 20th year destination.
    A great idea. I really like that approach.

For my approach, I would just move us to a new Earth now...maybe Earth 2025?

Leave the messes unresolved...for now. They can be revisited and resolved in special issues later...after everyone has had to calm down and think it through.

I feel it's time for a fresh start for everyone. I like the idea of a minimalistic approach to reboots/relaunches.

I'd probably revamp the legacy characters. I'd give them new id's/gimmicks/powersets etc and make them more self-sufficient. Legacy characters get stuck as the understudies who can't get the big break. I'm hoping to manage that better.

Traditional legacies like Robin, Kid Flash, Wonder Girl would still exist. They would just be less numerous.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-23-2021 at 11:20 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Anarky was a former Robin.
    Ooh. When? Before Tim?

Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Establish the main cast of each roster and tell stories, avoid tropes and cliches associated with each franchise. Take the casts in new directions.

Justice League:
    Superman
    Batman
    Wonder Woman
    Martian Manhunter
    Green Lantern(John)
    Flash (Wally)
    Aquaman

Outsiders:
    Black Lightning
    Thunder
    Geo Force
    Katana
    Metamorpho
    Signal
    Cassandra Cain
    Blue Devil

Titans:
    Nightwing
    Aqualad(Garth)
    Donna Troy
    Raven
    Beast Boy
    Starfire
    Arsenal
    Cyborg

Young Justice:
    Superboy(Kon)
    Impulse
    Robin/Red Robin/ Drake(Tim Drake)
    Wonder Girl (Cassie)
    Kid/Red Devil

Team Titans:
    Superboy(Jon)
    Lightning
    Terra(Tara)
    Robin(Damian)
    Liar Liar
    Blue Beetle(Jamie)
    Zachary Zatanna

JSA has such a deep roster, its hard to think up a starting one.
    This, plus an Outlaws group would be something I could very easily get behind.
    Outlaws;
    Red Hood
    Artemis
    Bizarro
    Ravager
    Creeper
    Susie Sue
    Essence
    Joker's Daughter (if people feel the need to drag her back in for some twisted reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Ooh. When? Before Tim?
    Sure but I was going for before Dick. He was the Proto-Robin, Bruce's first student. Unlike the others he's not looking for a father figure or driven by personal tragedy. He's an ideologue looking for a teacher to give him physical skills.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-24-2021 at 10:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

First things first: try to figure out what new approach needs to happen to increase readership that involves formatting, availability, etc - whether that involves going more digital and cheap, having Manga-style additions, making intermittent “seasons” of books instead of truly monthly releases whatever.

Second thing: No hard reboots required, but instead, at least two sets of books per property, with one being a “floating timeline” that can be followed or ignored, depending on how it’s received, like the Legends of the Dark Knight.

Like this:

Batman - Current timeline (all Robins, Batgrils, Azraels, etc.)
    Detective Comics - Floating timeline

Superman - Current Timeline
    Action Comics - Floating Timeline

And so on.

And I would definetly have “seasons” for supporting cats and spin-off characters.
    Franchise Wars Podcast and YouTube Host.
    TITANS pilot Recap, Reaction, and Review video! https://youtu.be/l1tKBTUtiyM
    The Force Awakens vs The Last Jedi https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=408109126
    Teen Titans (03) vs Teen Titans Go! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...=2&i=400482734