Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fan DC reboot

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I technically did with my God and Monsters pitch. But it's something DC has done before with Tangent so I don't think it's gonna work. DC and Marvel are too nostalgia driven for fans to really give it a shot.

I think Future State could have done it but half of those characters are dependent on the existing take. So your timeskip idea fits better.
    Those were both radical departures from the status quo.

Give those characters different names and you have new characters...the kind of characters found in the ominverse.

For a refreshed/rebooted line of comics, fans require something more familiar.

I think Stan Lee said to give us the illusion of change.

Incredible Member

I think that the highly involved discussion of the last few days pose some of the problems with a system-wide reboot.

There are so many elements that simply cannot be rebooted.
    You can't go back to the very beginning with Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson to give just one example.
    But you have to do that with just about every character.
    So we are not talking about a full reboot, but something different.
    Perhaps a cleaning up of origins, a partway fixing of places where characters have gotten lost.
    That becomes a whole lot more complicated than pretending we are going back to the very beginning.

Resolving complicated false steps isn't something that DC is always great at to be honest.
    Effort at even a mild reboot will create more problems than it will solve.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Those were both radical departures from the status quo.

Give those characters different names and you have new characters...the kind of characters found in the ominverse.

For a refreshed/rebooted line of comics, fans require something more familiar.

I think Stan Lee said to give us the illusion of change.
    Ascended joked about a Silver Age style rebranding. I was answering his post. He also pitched a timeskip idea which i agree with. I'm more a YJ fan so them recieving a 3-5 year timeskip would appeal to me more.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-29-2021 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I wouldn't be afraid to really take the multiverse and run with it. Anything and everything would be possible.
    However, I would also have a strict main timeline, so I'd play around with the multiverse, but most of the stories would show a linear timeline where most of the worldbuilding takes place the fastest.
    I would have books for Earths 1-4. I would have them work together through the speedsters, once they figured out how to do it, of course. Events would probably include other Earths getting involved eventually. I would definitely have characters meet other versions of themselves because that's always fun.

Extraordinary Member

Action picks up 15 years after the debut of Superheroes, with Superman having been the first.

In addition to the ongoings, there will be a series of graphic novels which show how the various iconic storylines happened in this universe, coordinated with the various writers to keep everything consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Ascended joked about a Silver Age style rebranding. I was answering his post. He also pitched a timeskip idea which i agree with. I'm more a YJ fan so them recieving a 3-5 year timeskip would appeal to me more.
    Yeah I didn't think of it like that, but the Gods and Monsters stuff is kind of along the lines of a Silver Age rebrand. Someone mentioned Tangent too, which is a similar approach.

We could probably count Stan Lee Presents....too.

That kind of complete reimagining....it'll never happen I don't think; the circumstances that allowed guys like Barry and Hal to take over are not the circumstances we find ourselves in today, and I honestly question if we'll find ourselves in such a position again. Back in '54, comics were purely kid stuff and guys like Jay and Allan had fallen by the wayside for years. Today, superheroes are far more entrenched in our social consciousness. Like, the number of people on the street who would have recognized Jay Garrick back in the mid 50's was probably pretty low. But most people around the world will recognize a picture of Barry today, even if they don't know anything more than he's called Flash and can run fast.

But it's a damn fun idea to toss around, and the occasional Elseworld/Tangent style story is always fun.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah I didn't think of it like that, but the Gods and Monsters stuff is kind of along the lines of a Silver Age rebrand. Someone mentioned Tangent too, which is a similar approach.

We could probably count Stan Lee Presents....too.

That kind of complete reimagining....it'll never happen I don't think; the circumstances that allowed guys like Barry and Hal to take over are not the circumstances we find ourselves in today, and I honestly question if we'll find ourselves in such a position again. Back in '54, comics were purely kid stuff and guys like Jay and Allan had fallen by the wayside for years. Today, superheroes are far more entrenched in our social consciousness. Like, the number of people on the street who would have recognized Jay Garrick back in the mid 50's was probably pretty low. But most people around the world will recognize a picture of Barry today, even if they don't know anything more than he's called Flash and can run fast.

But it's a damn fun idea to toss around, and the occasional Elseworld/Tangent style story is always fun.
    It could be a seperate imprint like the Earth One graphic novels.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-29-2021 at 06:15 PM.

I would have books for Earths 1-4. I would have them work together through the speedsters, once they figured out how to do it, of course. Events would probably include other Earths getting involved eventually. I would definitely have characters meet other versions of themselves because that's always fun.
    Perhaps the most drastic thing I’d do is shorten the tenures of the Robins until we got to Damian on Earth 1.
    Hawkman is the first superhero. The Spectre is active, but not to the general public.
    The Justice Society of America is, of course, the first team of superheroes.
    The science division finds a way to deter the effects of aging so that eventually the JSA will be able to work in tandem with the hero teams of today.
    Of course this process must come at a cost, so the effects of not aging come at the cost of not being able to reproduce. So, the JSA children do not exist on Earth 1.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps the most drastic thing Id do is shorten the tenures of the Robins until we got to Damian on Earth 1.
    Hawkman is the first superhero. The Spectre is active, but not to the general public.
    The science division finds a way to deter the effects of aging so that eventually the JSA will be able to work in tandem with the hero teams of today.
    Of course this process must come at a cost, so the effects of not aging come at the cost of not being able to reproduce. So, the JSA children do not exist on Earth 1.
    Honestly, most of the JSA don't need anti aging science. I never understood why some fans find it so hard to believe that they wouldn't be active in the modern age when their back stories provide legitimate reasons for them to fight crime regardless of age:

Jay is linked to the Speed Force, which causes him to age slowly.

Ted has nine lives

Longng-term exposure to the Star Heart's energy slows down Alan's aging.

Dr.Fate is long lived thanks to magic shenanigans.

I think the Hawks are naturally long lived and even if they died of old age or in battle, they would've reincarnated into younger bodies by the current year.

I'm pretty sure that a few other JSA characters I haven't mentioned are also long lived or have ways to cheat death.

I think this would work well with the different "imprint" ideas being tossed around. You could have your "regular" DCU and your different tangent/variant DCU's too. That's a lot of variety and options. A book for damn near everybody, if you get the spread right.

I'd limit the amount of doppelgangers, myself. One or two different Batmen and Supermen or whoever? As long as it's only a few variants, sure. Jay and Barry? Of course. But I wouldn't take it too far. Too much interaction between earths, and the number of earths in play and the similarities between them, created the first Crisis, so I'd really want to keep it simple, and keep it all contained. Just a couple earths featured in the regular publishing line, limited overlap in characters, and only annual multi-earth interactions. Except for one self-contained Incarnate/Multiversity style book that would be built around reality jumping.

And yes, the publishing line being split between earths means crossovers are slightly harder to pull off. Someone has to turn on a portal machine first. But if a book requires a guest appearance by Batman or a tie-in to a bloated Event to stay above cancelation then we're doing something wrong.

You'd want what, in the publishing line? A classic status quo earth? A "Silver Age rebrand" earth? A "old guys/JSA" earth?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Honestly, most of the JSA don't need anti aging science. I never understood why some fans find it so hard to believe that they wouldn't be active in the modern age when their back stories provide legitimate reasons for them to fight crime regardless of age
    I'm pretty sure that a few other JSA characters I haven't mentioned are also long lived or have ways to cheat death.
    Excellent. I was convinced that I had to do that, but if I don’t then all the better. I’d prefer not to anyway. Thank you for this.

You'd want what, in the publishing line? A classic status quo earth? A "Silver Age rebrand" earth? A "old guys/JSA" earth?
    I’d probably do
    Earth 1 - Prime/Main continuity
    Earth 2 - Justice Guild
    Earth 3 - Alignment swap/Crime Syndicate
    Earth 4 - Justice Lords

With other Earths being used when felt appropriate.
    Last edited by TheRay; 11-30-2021 at 04:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'd limit the amount of doppelgangers, myself. One or two different Batmen and Supermen or whoever? As long as it's only a few variants, sure. Jay and Barry? Of course. But I wouldn't take it too far. Too much interaction between earths, and the number of earths in play and the similarities between them, created the first Crisis, so I'd really want to keep it simple, and keep it all contained. Just a couple earths featured in the regular publishing line, limited overlap in characters, and only annual multi-earth interactions. Except for one self-contained Incarnate/Multiversity style book that would be built around reality jumping.

uh, yeah...the doppelgangers are kind of what is wanted. Variations of Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman can make good stories and good animations/cartoons.

I would enjoy an omniverse full of variants.

I think a few, um, Marvelous Earths might also be needed.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 11-30-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Perhaps the most drastic thing I’d do is shorten the tenures of the Robins until we got to Damian on Earth 1.

The Justice Society of America
    (then) The Blackhawk Squadron
    (then) The Seven Soldiers of Victory
    (then) The Green Lantern Corps
    (then) The Challengers of the Unknown
    (then) The Justice League of America
    (then) Doom Patrol
    (then) The Teen Titans
    (then) The Freedom Fighters
    (then) Watchmen
    (then) The All Star Squadron
    (then) The Outsiders
    (then) JLI
    (then) Infinity Inc.
    (then) JLE
    (then) Team Titans
    (then) Birds of Prey
    (then) Young Justice
    (then) Batman, Inc.
    (then) JLD
    (then) The Titans
    (then) Justice League Unlimited
    (then) The Legion of Superheroes
    Last edited by TheRay; 11-30-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

The Justice Society of America
    (then) The Seven Soldiers of Victory
    (then) The Green Lantern Corps
    (then) The Challengers of the Unknown
    (then) The Justice League of America
    (then) Doom Patrol
    (then) The Teen Titans
    (then) The Freedom Fighters
    (then) Watchmen
    (then) The All Star Squadron
    (then) The Outsiders
    (then) JLI
    (then) Infinity Inc.
    (then) JLE
    (then) Birds of Prey
    (then) Young Justice
    (then) JLD
    (then) The Titans
    (then) Justice League Unlimited
    I could get behind this, but there should be a Team Titans squad.

Oh, I wasn't even aware of them. Thanks, I've added them in.