Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member

Default X-Men Monday: Two Key Words

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/22/x-...ors-interview/

Mildly interesting, behind the scenes, "Career Day" interview with the X-editors. But two key words caught my eye: Immortal. X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Was about to say why is no one talking about that

"AIPT: The X-Men line post-Inferno is very mysterious, but you certainly know what’s to come! SO, could you tease a future project you’re currently working on?

Mark: OMEGA.

Lauren: SINISTER.

Drew: CEREBRO.

Sarah: THE SPARK.

Anita: LIMBO.

Jordan: DESTINY. "

Lauren was the one who said Immortal X-men.

Ofc. it can be two different titles but pointing it out nonetheless

Astonishing Member

Current X-men writers still thinking their characters being recloned over and over, so they can casualy kill them frequently and have them in universe smugly and unquestioning regard themself as immortal (which they are obviously not since they require unreliable and not longterm proven machinations for it), which is actively repulsing a lot of potential or former readers who just want their approachable, relatable, human super heros who risk their lifes for others regardless of who they are knowing they might not come back via contrived circumstances next time?

If that's still the direction going forward, i'm less than thrilled about the upcomming next generation of titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Current X-men writers still thinking their characters being recloned over and over, so they can casualy kill them frequently and have them in universe smugly and unquestioning regard themself as immortal (which they are obviously not since they require unreliable and not longterm proven machinations for it), which is actively repulsing a lot of potential or former readers who just want their approachable, relatable, human super heros who risk their lifes for others regardless of who they are knowing they might not come back via contrived circumstances next time?

If that's still the direction going forward, i'm less than thrilled about the upcomming next generation of titles.
    I was actually scrolling through reddit the other day and saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/commen...tocols_around/

271/ 387 people (70%) who voted on that platform preferred for the resurrection protocols to stick around. Obviously this isn't a fully representative finding or anything, but it seems like a lot of people outside these boards don't care that much. Seems like X-Men comics had made death so meaningless before the protocols that a lot of these respondents preferred the elimination of death as a plot point completely.

Thanks for posting, sbp1972!

Here's the exclusive artwork:

Yes Lorna!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

Yes Lorna!
    Lorna or Brand?

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Is it too obvious to think that a book called Immortal X-Men would come from Ewing?

I love resurrection and I certainly don't miss the non-stop "shock" deaths that were used. I can't think of a single book I'm reading that would be better with more character deaths.

Incredible Member

I get what you're saying, but... I prefer the resurrection method to the standard super-hero book plot silliness of "He was resurrected by the power of love!", or "His genetic code was buried deep within the patch of rebirth in Miracle Swamp!" or "He didn't actually die! It was a clone that replaced him in Awesome X-Men, Vol. 2, issue 27! Everything that happened between then and now wasn't actually him!"

Death in super-hero books has become beyond meaningless. Every time it gets drummed up by DC/Marvel, no one takes it seriously. And the writers/editors play into the "Yes, but it's about the stories that come out of it!", which is BS. People are just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the inevitable return in 1-2 years.
    I kinda like the straightforward-ness of, "Yeah, they died. And now, we're just gonna boot him back up in a new body using the trusty ol' back-up files."

Astonishing Member

I always find it interesting the people who harp on the resurrection protocols as if they fundamentally changed how the X-Men are being written when the opposite is clear. The only thing the resurrection protocols did was give writers the ability to use the entire X character roster without having to come up with some convoluted reason for their Resurrection.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I always find it interesting the people who harp on the resurrection protocols as if they fundamentally changed how the X-Men are being written when the opposite is clear. The only thing the resurrection protocols did was give writers the ability to use the entire X character roster without having to come up with some convoluted reason for their Resurrection.
    I disagree. The X-Men die far more frequently now. They appear less skillful at times as a result. The actual problem is that the writers feel compelled to kill off characters unnecessarily. That hasn't been addressed. The resurrections just give an easy answer for their return. That being the case, the resurrections don't seem like that big of a "win".
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I disagree. The X-Men die far more frequently now. They appear less skillful at times as a result. The actual problem is that the writers feel compelled to kill off characters unnecessarily. That hasn't been addressed. The resurrections just give an easy answer for their return. That being the case, the resurrections don't seem like that big of a "win".
    I think they should stick around but you're right, it is being used way too much and that makes them worthless in a way. It should be taken seriously. As of now it's treated like a spa.

Astonishing Member

I disagree. The only books I can think of that treat their deaths callously would be X-Force and well...it's X-Force so I don't expect anything less. Every other book have treated the resurrections as at least a minor plot point within a given arc.

And I also disagree with the idea that the X-Men are being written more incompetently than in the past because I can literally throw a rock into any previous X-Men era and find multiple instances where the X-Men acted incompetently or "less skillful" than they usually are.

The problem is lazy writing. It was here before the resurrections and will be here after.

I figure they appeared less skillful because too many writers aren't actually interested in writing actual teams, degrading many books into "The One I Want To Write and Some Others That Were Forced On Me, So They Will All Be Written As Bleeding Losers."
    Dark does not mean deep.

Re: The Protocols. Being brought back from the dead is inevitable for characters like Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Cyclops. But so many lesser-known, but still loved characters are killed or written out for shock deaths, and their revivals are much less certain. The Protocols gave them a chance to come back and possibly even get focus again. For that alone, I consider them a godsend.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.