Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default X-Men Monday: Two Key Words

https://aiptcomics.com/2021/11/22/x-...ors-interview/

Mildly interesting, behind the scenes, "Career Day" interview with the X-editors. But two key words caught my eye: Immortal. X-Men.

Extraordinary Member

Was about to say why is no one talking about that

"AIPT: The X-Men line post-Inferno is very mysterious, but you certainly know what’s to come! SO, could you tease a future project you’re currently working on?

Mark: OMEGA.

Lauren: SINISTER.

Drew: CEREBRO.

Sarah: THE SPARK.

Anita: LIMBO.

Jordan: DESTINY. "

Lauren was the one who said Immortal X-men.

Ofc. it can be two different titles but pointing it out nonetheless

Astonishing Member

Current X-men writers still thinking their characters being recloned over and over, so they can casualy kill them frequently and have them in universe smugly and unquestioning regard themself as immortal (which they are obviously not since they require unreliable and not longterm proven machinations for it), which is actively repulsing a lot of potential or former readers who just want their approachable, relatable, human super heros who risk their lifes for others regardless of who they are knowing they might not come back via contrived circumstances next time?

If that's still the direction going forward, i'm less than thrilled about the upcomming next generation of titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Current X-men writers still thinking their characters being recloned over and over, so they can casualy kill them frequently and have them in universe smugly and unquestioning regard themself as immortal (which they are obviously not since they require unreliable and not longterm proven machinations for it), which is actively repulsing a lot of potential or former readers who just want their approachable, relatable, human super heros who risk their lifes for others regardless of who they are knowing they might not come back via contrived circumstances next time?

If that's still the direction going forward, i'm less than thrilled about the upcomming next generation of titles.
    I was actually scrolling through reddit the other day and saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/xmen/commen...tocols_around/

271/ 387 people (70%) who voted on that platform preferred for the resurrection protocols to stick around. Obviously this isn't a fully representative finding or anything, but it seems like a lot of people outside these boards don't care that much. Seems like X-Men comics had made death so meaningless before the protocols that a lot of these respondents preferred the elimination of death as a plot point completely.

Thanks for posting, sbp1972!

Here's the exclusive artwork:

Yes Lorna!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Is it too obvious to think that a book called Immortal X-Men would come from Ewing?

I love resurrection and I certainly don't miss the non-stop "shock" deaths that were used. I can't think of a single book I'm reading that would be better with more character deaths.

Incredible Member

I get what you're saying, but... I prefer the resurrection method to the standard super-hero book plot silliness of "He was resurrected by the power of love!", or "His genetic code was buried deep within the patch of rebirth in Miracle Swamp!" or "He didn't actually die! It was a clone that replaced him in Awesome X-Men, Vol. 2, issue 27! Everything that happened between then and now wasn't actually him!"

Death in super-hero books has become beyond meaningless. Every time it gets drummed up by DC/Marvel, no one takes it seriously. And the writers/editors play into the "Yes, but it's about the stories that come out of it!", which is BS. People are just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the inevitable return in 1-2 years.
    I kinda like the straightforward-ness of, "Yeah, they died. And now, we're just gonna boot him back up in a new body using the trusty ol' back-up files."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Was about to say why is no one talking about that

"AIPT: The X-Men line post-Inferno is very mysterious, but you certainly know what’s to come! SO, could you tease a future project you’re currently working on?

Mark: OMEGA.

Lauren: SINISTER.

Drew: CEREBRO.

Sarah: THE SPARK.

Anita: LIMBO.

Jordan: DESTINY. "

Lauren was the one who said Immortal X-men.

Ofc. it can be two different titles but pointing it out nonetheless
    I wasn't paying close enough attention, I missed that she made both the "Immortal" and "Sinister" comments. Could this be the book that brings the Chimeras into the story? Sinister/Immortals/DNA-manipulation/Chimeras, seems to flow there. Just a thought.

If Immortal X-Men and Sinister are the same book than it is Gillen.

Astonishing Member

I always find it interesting the people who harp on the resurrection protocols as if they fundamentally changed how the X-Men are being written when the opposite is clear. The only thing the resurrection protocols did was give writers the ability to use the entire X character roster without having to come up with some convoluted reason for their Resurrection.

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I always find it interesting the people who harp on the resurrection protocols as if they fundamentally changed how the X-Men are being written when the opposite is clear. The only thing the resurrection protocols did was give writers the ability to use the entire X character roster without having to come up with some convoluted reason for their Resurrection.
    I disagree. The X-Men die far more frequently now. They appear less skillful at times as a result. The actual problem is that the writers feel compelled to kill off characters unnecessarily. That hasn't been addressed. The resurrections just give an easy answer for their return. That being the case, the resurrections don't seem like that big of a "win".
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I disagree. The X-Men die far more frequently now. They appear less skillful at times as a result. The actual problem is that the writers feel compelled to kill off characters unnecessarily. That hasn't been addressed. The resurrections just give an easy answer for their return. That being the case, the resurrections don't seem like that big of a "win".
    I think they should stick around but you're right, it is being used way too much and that makes them worthless in a way. It should be taken seriously. As of now it's treated like a spa.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I was actually scrolling through reddit the other day and saw this post: *link*

271/ 387 people (70%) who voted on that platform preferred for the resurrection protocols to stick around. Obviously this isn't a fully representative finding or anything, but it seems like a lot of people outside these boards don't care that much. Seems like X-Men comics had made death so meaningless before the protocols that a lot of these respondents preferred the elimination of death as a plot point completely.
    Let's recap, this is a vote made by less than 400 people, on an internet discussion board, which i assume is frequented (and potentialy gated) by a certain selection of often likely minded people, mostly used to express their likes or dislikes regarding certain things, which because of the anonymus nature of such places means there is practically no way to actualy proof if these people expressing their sentiments actualy do so in real life, actualy buy or even read the product they are commenting on (which means their opinion has no direct value towards the success or failure of a product) or what overall group they represent.

This is basicly worthless for an empirical study towards the likes and dislikes of the potential or active reader/buyership of the current X-men titles. If anything it's just reflective of what people on that board feel about the topic and that's also not entirely empirical because it was a random vote, rather than an organized gathering of individuals from a representative spectrum of visitors and participants on it.

For everyone who voted, there could have been 10 more who felt there was no need to participate. So a large majority of possibly different thinking individuals could have been left out. The classic silent majority situation.

Considering the average sales of the X-men titles seems to currently sit between 20000 to 40000. Asking 400 unconfirmed people means you have asked potentialy less than 1% or 2% of the confirmed active buyership IF any of them are actualy part of these 20-40k to beginn with.

If we go by the larger overall fanbase of X-men, via comics, cartoons, movies, video games, toys, or just casualy liking the characters, which could very well be in the hundred of millions, these 400 represent even less.

Can either of us provide evidence that not 99% of them would prefer it if death remains meaningfull even if characters still have a chance to come back via complex seemingly impossible odds?

And that's on top of internet discussion boards and social media having been noted quite frequently to neither really represent a larger consumer base nor actualy being reflective of the discourse going on in larger fanbases.

We can rage all we want about comics or a new movie adaption and how bad they are. But if they are successfull, we are obviously not fully representative of the majority of the buyer/viewership. Meanwhile if they are unsuccessfull (or less successfull than versions we like) we can consider ourself validated in POTENTIALY reflecting part of what has repulsed others from a product.

At best internet gatherings can be a cross-sectional look at the topics and point of a discourse going on among a certain group. But only if they showcase a large enough diversity of confirmable individuals participating.

Put another way. That vote is possibly like going to a meeting of LA Lakers fans and asking them who the best basketball team in the world is and then comming to the conclusion that 90% of all basketball fans love the LA Lakers.

Of course this very forum is just as much not represenative of the overall X-men fanbase. Neither can i claim that my opinion is factualy representing a larger group either.

This of course makes my above expressed impression of the active and potential buyership as highly debatable or downright disputable. However noticable deflating sales, anectodale report from various comicbook shops (the people at the forfront of actualy getting these works into the hands of buying customers) and personaly observed reaction of casual fans upon learning of the current comicbook status quo, gives me the impression that the above mentioned reaction towards the resurrection protocol and the "death is meaningless now" status quo has some factual basis.

Again though, i admit it's disputable and not entirely empirical either. So if your point was that i was presuming myself to know what is notably repulsing an increasingly larger consumer base from the current comic, than touché.

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but... I prefer the resurrection method to the standard super-hero book plot silliness of "He was resurrected by the power of love!", or "His genetic code was buried deep within the patch of rebirth in Miracle Swamp!" or "He didn't actually die! It was a clone that replaced him in Awesome X-Men, Vol. 2, issue 27! Everything that happened between then and now wasn't actually him!"

Death in super-hero books has become beyond meaningless. Every time it gets drummed up by DC/Marvel, no one takes it seriously. And the writers/editors play into the "Yes, but it's about the stories that come out of it!", which is BS. People are just twiddling their thumbs waiting for the inevitable return in 1-2 years.
    I kinda like the straightforward-ness of, "Yeah, they died. And now, we're just gonna boot him back up in a new body using the trusty ol' back-up files."
    Isn't that more emblematic of a problem with these comics in general, or at least the perpetual nature of trying to write the same characters over and over continuesly for 50 (or approaching 100 in case of Superman)years, that death has become such a meaningless and casual narrative tool for writers to overuse, that the consumers have become numb to them?

Shouldn't that be a red flag that these comics need to stop in some way, rather than just increase the numbness of the dwindling consumer base?

Also i think we should keep in mind that the larger casual fanbase is likely not nearly as desensitiesed towards death of super heros, because the products they consume are either much more limited in individual continuity or have been so limited in number that a death still had impact.

Which is also the fanbase that acutaly brings in the majority of income for these franchises. So what is meaningless to us comic readers, might be far from it for the overall fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    And now they kill characters much more casualy and in many cases nonsensical because they can, which i feel just ramps up the numbness towards heros getting killed, while also making them appear weirdly incompetent (or unlucky) compared to the past, while also making them much more inhumane and distant from the human and moral characters that people have been noted to like in super heros.

It feels like Rick and Morty without the selfawareness of just how traumatizing and horrible this casual treatment of death would be for those involved.

Again to me it perpetuates an overall problem with these comics, rather than actualy resolving it as issue.
    Last edited by Grunty; 11-22-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

Wanda looks weird is it just me? Just not a flattering photo.