Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default International Seminar Origin and Destiny of the Superheroine: Wonder Woman

I think this is wonderful and very interesting, for Hispanic speakers but for everyone who is interested in Wonder Woman.
    Interviews with William Messner Loebs, Brian Azzarello, Kelly Sue DeConick, Phil Jimenez and Trina Robbins among other very interesting debates and events around the princess of Themysicira.

https://institutofranklin.net/evento...ixePj5bCCQd4m8

The year 2021 marks the 80th anniversary of the birth of Wonder Woman, the most iconic of superheroines.
    Created in December 1941 by the Marston Clan, formed by the American writer, psychologist and inventor William Moulton Marston, the lawyer and psychologist Elizabeth Holloway, and the psychologist Olive Byrne, together with the cartoonist H.G. Peter, their stories have been published virtually nonstop ever since.
    The Franklin Institute of the University of Alcalá, together with the Fundación General and ECC Cómics, organizes an international seminar on November 29 and 30 and December 1 to commemorate her anniversary.

THE PROGRAM

Lunes, 29 de noviembre del 2021

17h-17:30h.- Inauguración.
    17:30h.-18:30h.- Imágenes maravillosas: Wonder Woman transmedia. Por Diego Salgado & Elisa McCausland.
    18:30-19:30h.- Entrevista por videoconferencia con el guionista Brian Azzarello.
    19:30h.- 20:30h. Mesa redonda con los autores/as Carlos Pacheco, Aneke y Mikel Janín.

Martes, 30 de noviembre del 2021

17h-18h.- Ponencias.
    Wonder Woman, el feminismo como superpoder. Por Elisa McCausland.
    La Mujer Maravilla, las amazonas y las mujeres combatientes. Por Áurea Xaydé Esquivel Flores, Universidad Iberoamericana (México).
    18h.-19h.- Entrevista por videoconferencia con la editora Brittany Holzherr.
    Entrevista por videoconferencia con el equipo creativo de Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons, Kelly Sue DeConnick y Phil Jimenez.
    19h.-20h.- Ponencias.
    Malos tiempos para las superheroínas: Wonder Woman en la prensa. Por Kiko Sáez de Adana.

​​​​​​​Miércoles, 1 de diciembre del 2021

17h-18h.- Ponencias.​​​​​​​
    Queer Wonder Woman: Un archivo de sentimientos de las disidencias sexuales. Por Facu Saxe, Universidad Nacional de La Plata (Argentina).
    Estrella dorada: Una aproximación a la evolución del vestuario de la Mujer Maravilla a través de las décadas. Por Paola Melina Rapimán Risco (Chile).
    18-19h.- 19h. Mesa redonda online sobre la influencia de Wonder Woman en Latinoamérica. ​​​​​​​ Con Facu Saxe (Argentina), Melina Rapimán (Chile), Áurea Xaydé Esquivel Flores (México), Dulce Ivette Muñoz Nophal (Benemérita Universidad Autónoma de Puebla, México) y Maria Alejandra Arias (Universidad del Norte, Colombia).
    19h.-20h.- Entrevista por videoconferencia con la autora y herstorian Trina Robbins.
    20h.-20.30h.- Clausura.
    Last edited by Sebastianne; 12-01-2021 at 02:31 PM.

Impressive lineup.

Good news.

Hope there will be an English transcript available. I would love to read these discussions.

Interview with Brian Azzarello, you are going to hate him as the interviewer

Last edited by Sebastianne; 11-29-2021 at 08:29 PM.

By the way, the interviewer, Elisa McCausland, is a feminist author who wrote a book in Spanish, in my opinion very good, called "Wonder Woman: feminism as superpower" and where she is quite critical of Brian Azzarello's run, so that's why the laugh and some awkward silences.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    By the way, the interviewer, Elisa McCausland, is a feminist author who wrote a book in Spanish, in my opinion very good, called "Wonder Woman: feminism as superpower" and where she is quite critical of Brian Azzarello's run, so that's why the laugh and some awkward silences.
    Somebody needs to get azz down his high horse if he thinks that he ''saved'' WW. He destroyed her lore. Origin. Turned the amazons into rpists. And told a story where Diana wasn't even the center of the conflict. You could replace her with any other character rooted in mithology and the story wouldn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Hmm, yeah. I could sense some of that when I jumped to his section and he said he wasn't a reader/fan of WW until he started writing her book.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Somebody needs to get azz down his high horse if he thinks that he ''saved'' WW. He destroyed her lore. Origin. Turned the amazons into rpists. And told a story where Diana wasn't even the center of the conflict. You could replace her with any other character rooted in mithology and the story wouldn't change.
    I skipped to his interview and, to my horror, he was praising the Zeus' daughter origin, claiming that it's "easier" to quickly get her origin. He actually made an analogy between Batman and Superman and Diana, claiming that being Zeus' daughter was as defining to Diana as Superman being from Krypton and Batman being a millionaire from Ghotham City. HE said that, if you asked anyone about the Trinity's origins, nobody could tell you Diana's. WTF This dude really has a very inflated sense of self. He really thinks he saved Diana.

By the way, has anyone read this article?:
    https://multiframe.wordpress.com/201...s-a-****-idea/

It's a very interesting exploration of Diana's origins (her true origin, not Azz's BS) and why her change to a patriarchy-approved "Daddy's girl" was all kinds of wrong.
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 11-29-2021 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Well the interviewer missed her chance to say various things to Azzarello, but I guess she had to be polite.
    What makes me very curious is what Didio's plan was for Diana, that Azzarello thought he was going to destroy Wonder Woman and that is why he decided to "save" her.

Interview with Brittany Holzherr, she said her favorite run is the Azzarello one
    After her is the interview with Kelly Sue and Phil Jimenez talkin' bout Historia

Last edited by Sebastianne; 11-30-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's interesting that both DeConnick and Azzarello came into the character not being too familiar with Wonder Woman or her world, but DeConnick still knows that the Daddy Zeus origin is a hot load of BS.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Why people still like the Azz run is beyond me. But I do think that many of the Azz fans that read Wonder Woman have left the comic when he stopped writing them. The sales seem to suggest that to me as whatever sales jump occurred in the new 52 isn't there anymore. And the sales weren't that great to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Why people still like the Azz run is beyond me. But I do think that many of the Azz fans that read Wonder Woman have left the comic when he stopped writing them. The sales seem to suggest that to me as whatever sales jump occurred in the new 52 isn't there anymore. And the sales weren't that great to begin with.
    I suspect that WW gained many fans during Azz's run because he seems to be cut from the same storytelling cloth as Zach Snyder: he is very much into making her "badass and kickass," using that narrow, shallow, tired definition that so many fanboys have of that term. "Sword wielding sexy babe decapitating monsters, godsnand even humans, regardless of any other consideration" = "Badass"...

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    It's interesting that both DeConnick and Azzarello came into the character not being too familiar with Wonder Woman or her world, but DeConnick still knows that the Daddy Zeus origin is a hot load of BS.
    Well DeConnick says in the interview that she was always a fan of Wonder Woman, a reader of her comics, in fact she says that it is George Perez's Wonder Woman who, perhaps like many of us, introduces her to Greek mythology and what brought her to study literature or somethin like that and other issues.