Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Krakoa has basically tried to destroy these characters the most.

Nature Girl
    Moira
    Kitty

People want to know why I hate on Hickman and this era so much. I’ll point to those three characters and what has been done to them.

Were you a big Nature Girl and Moira fan before? If so, I’m sorry for what’s been done to them. I just didn’t know they had any real fan base to speak of honestly. So I figured the changes were fine.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Nature Girl
    Moira
    Kitty

People want to know why I hate on Hickman and this era so much. I’ll point to those three characters and what has been done to them.
    I'll shoot how?

I feel like he hasn't used Kitty a ton unless I'm missing something, Moira was dead and forgotten for years prior to Hickman. Nature Girl I'll give you as I haven't read many of her stories.

I think Kitty will be fine. She's in her twenties and having a rebellious stage that can easily be reversed. Maybe Yana knows how to magically remove tatoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think Kitty will be fine. She's in her twenties and having a rebellious stage that can easily be reversed. Maybe Yana knows how to magically remove tatoos.
    She can always die and resurrect in a body with no tattoos too.

Krakoa destroyed Apocalypse. He was all about that survival-of the-fittest life. Now, he got soft and paid the price. Now he's selling flowers on street corners trying to make bitcoin.

I can understand your Nature Girl point that Unlimited story was just odd.

Same with Moira. I've made my peace with the retcon (mainly because she'd been dead for 20 years before it!) but can understand why you might dislike the big changes to her character.

Kate/ Kitty's a strange one?

Fair enough if you dislike Duggan's take on her (I'm a fan) but so many other authors have written her far worse in recent memory. X-Men Gold wasn't that long ago...

Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post
    I can understand your Nature Girl point that Unlimited story was just odd.

Same with Moira. I've made my peace with the retcon (mainly because she'd been dead for 20 years before it!) but can understand why you might dislike the big changes to her character.

Kate/ Kitty's a strange one?

Fair enough if you dislike Duggan's take on her (I'm a fan) but so many other authors have written her far worse in recent memory. X-Men Gold wasn't that long ago...
    IIRC this poster holds X-Men Gold in high regard to provide context.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Any A or B (and even some C) lister with a long history and/or "golden days" in the Claremont Era is more or less safe as far as i see it. Their defining stories and moments are set in the classic times which will frequently be revisited, used as reference for adapations and pointed towards when newcommers ask where they should beginn with experiencing the X-men comics.

The cut between the "classic" era of the X-men (endpoint roughly at 1992, though some might argue the afterglow reaches up to 1997) and anything past it, is like a layer of protective coating over a painting. Regardless of what following artist do to modify it, it won't touch the true painting underneath anymore and if things become too tarnished or modified, the new paint can be scrapped off and a new layer can be added.

Weird metaphor aside, this is why i think no permanent harm can be done anymore to the classic X-men characters including Kitty Pryde and even Moira MacTaggert.

Meanwhile any post classic character, especialy those relative new and/or with few appearances/roles are in frequent danger of being harmed by bad stories or characterization, because they have no "golden times" stories as safety net and anything new (good or bad) will be added to their core.

Even if Nature Girl will be recovered from this ... mess with a retcon, it will stick to her like a bad smell unless a TON of better stories with her afterwards will eventualy overshadow it. Because it's now part of her early stories.

As for Kitty's tattoos. There is the resurrection protocol if she dies again as long as it still exist, there are mutants with healing powers, there are body shapers (if she dares trusting Maque) and there are people with access to super tech both among the X-men and among friends of the X-men ("Hey Mister Richards, would you mind helping me remove these awkward tattoos from my knuckles?" "Surely my dear i have this low intensity laser and advanced tissue repairing gel."), so i doubt we would even need an explanation for them being gone again some day.
    Last edited by Grunty; 11-22-2021 at 05:04 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    As for Kitty's tattoos. There is the resurrection protocol if she dies again as long as it still exist, there are mutants with healing powers, there are body shapers (if she dares trusting Maque) and there are people with access to super tech both among the X-men and among friends of the X-men ("Hey Mister Richards, would you mind helping me remove these awkward tattoos from my knuckles?" "Surely my dear i have this low intensity laser and advanced tissue repairing gel."), so i doubt we would even need an explanation for them being gone again some day.
    Ink is not a part of your biological body, neither cells nor tissue. She can phase those tattoos off just as quickly as she can phase out of her jacket.

Boop. No more tattoos, just a bit of ink splooshing to the ground.

Even better, she can phase other people and objects, so she could wipe that darn skull right off Pyro's face.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Krakoa destroyed Apocalypse. He was all about that survival-of the-fittest life. Now, he got soft and paid the price. Now he's selling flowers on street corners trying to make bitcoin.
    LOL! That's good.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I can't really blame Hickman or Krakoa for Nature Girl. It seems every modern era has characters who are horribly butchered by a writer's questionable decisions. Nature Girl's changes don't even have to do with Krakoa or the setting, other than her using portals and Krakoa giving her a pass. This story could have been in any other era because character derailment is universal. (Eu te amo, Robbie Reyes.)

Moira is a different thing, since her changes are actively linked to the current era and the lore, as opposed to one writer going rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Ink is not a part of your biological body, neither cells nor tissue. She can phase those tattoos off just as quickly as she can phase out of her jacket.

Boop. No more tattoos, just a bit of ink splooshing to the ground.

Even better, she can phase other people and objects, so she could wipe that darn skull right off Pyro's face.
    Oh good point. Gotta admit, both images would be pretty fun if done in comic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Oh good point. Gotta admit, both images would be pretty fun if done in comic.
    Yeah, I could totally see her just getting rid of the 'Kill Shaw' tattoos that way, either because she's accomplished that life goal, or because the two of them have kinda/sorta gotten past it in the face of a larger threat to them both / all mutantkind. I could see Kitty being the mature one and moving past her anger at Shaw and not wanting to carry a permanent reminder of that whole thing on her hands.

Lockheed, though. He's gonna hold on to that.

Big naw on nature girl. She is dope as hell now.