Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default X-MEN #5 Review *spoilers*

Today. The Reavers, having used "nonlethal, fast-acting tranquilizer darts that interfere with the X-gene," have taken out five of the seven X-Men. A determined Sunfire and dazed Polaris are the only members left to fend them off. Just as Sunfire is about to attack, the Reavers knock him out with a dart. Lorna assesses the situation, before magnetically taking control of Wolverine's body.

Extended Flashback. The Hellfire Gala Election. Jean has psi-linked all of the mutants on Earth and the S.W.O.R.D. station to hold the election for the new X-Men team. She calls on Polaris, who hesitates, thinking, "Oh, whatever...just not me." Jean quickly changes her thought to "...just pick me," surprising Lorna, and before we know it, the election is complete and Lorna has been voted to be one of the seven members of the new team.

Monday. Polaris prevents a nuclear meltdown and contains a "stricken reactor and its poisonous fuel" in a magnetic force field. With the help of Rogue, she transports and hurls the reactor into the sun.

Tuesday. Central Park. Polaris and the rest of the team fight off a group of monsters, presumably from Gameworld. She encounters a seal terrier hybrid, noticing a camera attached to the collar around its neck. She stares into the camera and asks, "Who's watching us?" Cut to -

Dr. Stasis watches Polaris on a monitor, noting, "Smart cookie, Polaris. Correction: Dr. Polaris. She did the work and earned the title." He presses a button on his console, which instantly kills the "Sealmeranian," stating, "Everyone fights for Dr. Stasis, or you shall face the consequences."

Today. The Reavers are congratulating themselves on capturing the X-Men. Polaris rises, raising Wolverine along with her. She declares, "You're going to tell me who put you up to this while my friend here cuts the weapons right off of you," before magnetically manipulating Wolverine to cut off several of the Reavers' limbs. One of the Reavers blinds Polaris with brilliant light that emanates from her eyes. Polaris acclimates herself to the new circumstances before revealing, "I don't just see the world with my eyes...I see it on the electromagnetic spectrum. I see the iron in your blood and the metal fillings in your teeth." She rips the fillings out of their teeth, while Wolverine gains consciousness. The two of them finish the Reavers off, as the rest of the team wakes up.

Polaris approaches and asks to speak privately with Jean. She asks her, "Why did you lie for me? I was thinking, 'Just not me.'" Jean responds, "I didn't lie. It's true that you said that telepathically, but I heard what you told yourself before that. 'Just pick me' became 'just not me.' I went with your first impulse. Not the one where you talked yourself out of succeeding." Lorna admits, "It is so annoying when you're right, and changing what I said is so you." Jean assures her, "You're welcome. You need the X-Men as much as the X-Men need you, Polaris."

Later. The X-Men hold a lunch for "their human friends who are not as fortunate." Jean and Emma take notice of Ben Urich, who approaches and asks Scott to speak privately. Out on the street, Ben Urich reveals that he knows Scott died and somehow managed to be resurrected. He also notes the same about Jumbo and Nathan Summers. Urich advises Scott that he is not done writing his piece - "maybe the biggest story in, well...over two thousand years" - telling him that he'll give him a day to think about what he might want to say.

Last edited by Mercury; 11-24-2021 at 08:11 AM.