Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i threw it out there partly as a joke, but also partly because i wrote a fanfic just like that when i was a kid. it was heavily inspired by the return of barry allen and imaginatively called the return of ben reilly. . just like how "barry" in that turned out to be an amnesiac reverse flash, my riff was a spidercide who now honestly believed he was ben. the big difference was that spidercide genuinely wanted redemption but couldn't override his jackal programming.
    That actually sounds cool and hey, if you're going to riff off a Flash story it might as well be the greatest Flash story ever. The Return of Barry Allen is phenomenal.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

i mean...it might explain the gap in his memories? and why he seems to need to relearn how to use his powers?

i threw it out there partly as a joke, but also partly because i wrote a fanfic just like that when i was a kid. it was heavily inspired by the return of barry allen and imaginatively called the return of ben reilly. . just like how "barry" in that turned out to be an amnesiac reverse flash, my riff was a spidercide who now honestly believed he was ben. the big difference was that spidercide genuinely wanted redemption but couldn't override his jackal programming.

if they did go that route and had him be ben that would explain all his weird behaviour during the clone conspiracy and PAD's run and also clear the room for the return of "actual ben".

convoluted? not much more than anything else in the funny books.

@hypnohustler did yost ever reveal his plans with spidercide? i think you could do one really interesting story with him but then you'd want to kill him off or send him back to limbo.
    Hmmn… this will sound crazy, but I actually think I read that fanfic. Was it posted on a Ben Reilly fan site? If it’s what I think it was, it was pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    That actually sounds cool and hey, if you're going to riff off a Flash story it might as well be the greatest Flash story ever. The Return of Barry Allen is phenomenal.
    this is true. you could say the story was cloned, even.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Hmmn… this will sound crazy, but I actually think I read that fanfic. Was it posted on a Ben Reilly fan site? If it’s what I think it was, it was pretty good!
    ha, yeah it was. i think it was hosted on the main ben reilly page at the time as well as "starving writer's" page from the alvaro boards (i think) and also on the boards themselves.

and thanks, mate... appreciate it.

it was my first and last fanfic and the feedback/criticism i got in it helped me move into some professional writing gigs. but i think at that time, a lot of us were just trying to fill that ben-shaped gap in our lives.
    Last edited by boots; 11-30-2021 at 11:45 PM.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

this is true. you could say the story was cloned, even.

ha, yeah it was. i think it was hosted on the main ben reilly page at the time as well as "starving writer's" page from the alvaro boards (i think) and also on the boards themselves.

and thanks, mate... appreciate it.

it was my first and last fanfic and the feedback/criticism i got in it helped me move into some professional writing gigs. but i think at that time, a lot of us were just trying to fill that ben-shaped gap in our lives.
    Ah, I knew you were from the Comicboards. Are you/ Were you Spider-Monkey? Yes, that was a great story. I was a kid at the time and it inspired some of my own fanfic.

Ah, I knew you were from the Comicboards. Are you/ Were you Spider-Monkey? Yes, that was a great story. I was a kid at the time and it inspired some of my own fanfic.
    It's crazy how long some of us have been talking Spidey together!

-Pav, who's been at it (off and on) for like half his life...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

unmasked. you can probably tell how old i was just by that handle

are we all gonna come out of the closet with our old alvaro names?
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    It's crazy how long some of us have been talking Spidey together!

-Pav, who's been at it (off and on) for like half his life...
    just when i thought i was out, they pull me back in...
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

unmasked. you can probably tell how old i was just by that handle

are we all gonna come out of the closet with our old alvaro names?
    I’m afraid to say as I was a really dumb 14 year old troll (not by malicious intent, but just through adolescent emotional immaturity). Anyway I was “Messenger” and was there from around 1998 to 2000. Then later on I posted under “JJJ’s Ulcer” on SuperheroHype in the late 00s, early 10s. My interest in Spidey has definitely waxed and waned over the years (more waned after BND). Once Ben fades into obscurity again, and assuming Kaine doesn’t make a comeback, I’ll probably fade for a while again.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 12-06-2021 at 02:55 AM.