Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Spider-man 79 review" Ben vs Kraven

Read the issue and here it is

1)We see some Beyond workers having drinks and enjoying themselves

2)Ben's talk w/ Peter is good stuff, a late realization but he's finally thinking that maybe the shady multi-billion corporation doesn't have the people's best interests at heart.Seeing Ben talk about working together with Peter when he comes through was good, although seems like a set-up for death.Ziglar is a tv show writer and it's a common trope to do this

Really hope I'm wrong because Spider-bros

3)Ben sees some crime on news and goes to stop it.Beyond and Ben and on good terms so far but the friction has increased

4)Marcus tells Ben he needs to go save one of the Beyond Corp Board members and he does.

5)The guy is dead and BOOM

6)Enter Kraven, they fight and Ben is shook from the blast and Kraven seems to have the upper hand.Kraven doesn't seem to know it's not Peter

7)Ben jumps out a window for space but walks write into a trap.Toxic darts

8)He starts hallucinating and Kraven in all his fire-head-weapon-wings glory(you need to see it to get this) comes as says it's time for the "great awakening"

A set-up issue and a nice one.Good writing and art.

One complaint is Ben's suit(and Ben) seem weak.No one other than Wells has used it to much if any effect and he's getting whooped all over the place.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 11-24-2021 at 08:02 AM.

Incredible Member

So far this Beyond thing isn’t really grabbing my attention. Ben looking pathetic is so bothersome. This is the same guy that took out Venom after 5 years on the road with minimal experience. Even with the tricked out suit and a company behind him. Either Beyond is weakening Ben somehow or this is just faulty writing and I’m done with it. I’d rather go back to the Kindred BS. But then again even then Peter was getting wrecked all the time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    So far this Beyond thing isn’t really grabbing my attention. Ben looking pathetic is so bothersome. This is the same guy that took out Venom after 5 years on the road with minimal experience. Even with the tricked out suit and a company behind him. Either Beyond is weakening Ben somehow or this is just faulty writing and I’m done with it. I’d rather go back to the Kindred BS. But then again even then Peter was getting wrecked all the time.
    Sinister war and before and after that was perhaps the greatest durability/stamina feat we have of Peter.I agree his strength was a bit down but he held on against way too much w/out giving in

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post

2)Ben's talk w/ Peter is good stuff, a late realization but he's finally thinking that maybe the shady multi-billion corporation doesn't have the people's best interests at heart.Seeing Ben talk about working together with Peter when he comes through was good, although seems like a set-up for death.Ziglar is a tv show writer and it's a common trope to do this

I thought the same at first, but then again it's too obvious. Of course Ben would have to exit the picture at the end, they're not going to be two main characters when Oeter returns but killing him again is too lazy and downright mean to a character with many fans.

BANNED

I think Ben will die at the end of this. I'd like to be wrong but I been reading comics awhile and well comics suck. I can't see us getting Spidey Bros, even though it makes the most sense from every logical pov that Pete and Ben's shared sense of responsibility would force them to acknowledge they can do more together. I understand the politics of it, people would complain if Pete had to share Amazing, even if Ben was only a major supporting character. But I would love a 6 issue mini that was just the Parker boys working together for once. Seems a waste to leave the concept untouched.

On to this issue. I liked it, I dug the Ben and Pete moment. I liked MJ not treating Ben like crap. I liked Ben standing up for himself and questioning Beyond. But this is the second arc in a row where Ben just gets trounced by the villain. It's lazy writing and it sucks. I'll hold full criticism for next issue. But Ben needs wins, not just to be shown as a rookie incompetent. We know from solicits he's gonna get beaten up by Ock as well. And I dunno about you guys, but I am certain Ben is gonna job to Miles in his arc too.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Is it hard to write a competent Spider-Man?

Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe? For some reason I lot of writers hate the idea of Spider-Man just winning by himself. Lol

Astonishing Member

I glad reception for this issue has been good so far. I never heard of the writer and hearing he worked on TV I got the impression he will be the Bob Gale of this brain trust(the writer with the weakest issues) but glad to be proven wrong. so far its pretty good, glad the Ben MJ interaction was much better.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I thought the same at first, but then again it's too obvious. Of course Ben would have to exit the picture at the end, they're not going to be two main characters when Peter returns but killing him again is too lazy and downright mean to a character with many fans.
    I'd agree w/ you and still do but it's Marvel, they might be giving him his moment to shine before his send off.Again I hope not, he doesn't even need a solo and a team book would benefit greatly from Ben and vice-versa but you know how Marvel be.

He is quite a bit above most of the street tier, but they nerf him even under that.Bullseye and the likes should be fodder to him via feats

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Maybe? For some reason I lot of writers hate the idea of Spider-Man just winning by himself. Lol
    BND and Slott pushed it in.Spencer does a good job IMO, when his Peter is overwhalmed it's because insane odds and he has no breaks.

BND and Slott pushed it in.Spencer does a good job IMO, when his Peter is overwhalmed it's because insane odds and he has no breaks.
    Yeah, but even with Spencer it sometimes just felt excessive or to service the plot.

Astonishing Member

I'd agree w/ you and still do but it's Marvel, they might be giving him his moment to shine before his send off.Again I hope not, he doesn't even need a solo and a team book would benefit greatly from Ben and vice-versa but you know how Marvel be.
    Yeah, I'm still dreading that conclusion because...Marvel.
    Also, he's more jobbing than shinning lately.
    Last edited by Sr. Bungle; 11-24-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

For what it's worth, I think people hyper-fixate too often on "______ would never lose a fight to ______ they are making the job" because then it veers into this idea that the hero should never struggle unless they are stacked up against only absurd circumstances.

That said a lot about this arc has been underwhelming. Like if the plan was for the Beyond Corp to go through all this additional effort to train Ben into becoming their ideal hero, then they could have at least established that they wanted the "original" but then went with Ben as their second choice. Because not only does this kind of inadvertently make Ben come off as a goober, but it also kind of make whatever Beyond is scheming coming off as incompetent that their corporate-sponsored hero keeps getting his ass kicked. lol
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 11-24-2021 at 12:49 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Immediate thoughts after having finished the issue:

1) BEST ISSUE OF BEYOND YET

2) Ziglar not only nails the characterization of every character, but he also nails their relationships.

3) I love his Kraven.

4) I'm very 50/50 on it, but I still can't shake the feeling that this Ben isn't the only Ben.

5) Did anyone else notice that Ben's eyes change color from brown to blue?

6) The art is totally on point.

7) I can't wait to read everyone's comments, give the issue another look-through, and enjoy discussion with you fine folks!

-Pav, who only had one little nitpick with the issue...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    For what it's worth, I think people hyper-fixate too often on "______ would never lose a fight to ______ they are making the job" because then it veers into this idea that the hero should never struggle unless they are stacked up against only absurd circumstances.

That said a lot about this arc has been underwhelming. Like if the plan was for the Beyond Corp to go through all this additional effort to train Ben into becoming their ideal hero, then they could have at least established that they wanted the "original" but then went with Ben as their second choice. Because not only does this kind of inadvertently make Ben come off as a goober, but it also kind of make whatever Beyond is scheming coming off as incompetent that their corporate-sponsored hero keeps getting his ass kicked. lol
    I think it's fine for them to struggle but it sometimes gets to a point of repetitiveness and makes your hero look like they're barely capable.

And sometimes it's just to justify the existence of other characters when, typically, the hero would have been able to resolve stuff on their own.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I think it's fine for them to struggle but it sometimes gets to a point of repetitiveness and makes your hero look like they're barely capable.

And sometimes it's just to justify the existence of other characters when, typically, the hero would have been able to resolve stuff on their own.
    That I do get. You want to see your hero actually overcome their trials and that's fair. It's definitely not the best look that Ben couldn't finish that fight with Morbius.

Like in my mind, I'm perfectly okay with him losing that first encounter for going in unprepared but the issue should've been resolved with Ben winning in a rematch.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.