Page 1 of 77 123451151 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default General Hospital

There hasn't been anything on this board about soaps so thought I'd post it here. Thank God for youtube and being able to watch the classic Luke/Laura moments and characters like Sonny, Alan and Monica Quartermaine and others. The show had its heyday in the 80s and 90s and I haven't seen it recently but the clips I have seen, it looks like a shell of its former self. The writers and producers ignore character history and now revolve the show around a trio of characters (Jason, Sonny, and Carly). Jason and Sonny are treated like heroes instead of the mobsters they are. Anyway, I digress. I thought this show was different from other soaps because of the mob/action adventure storylines and that made it interesting for a while. My favorite character was Jonathan Jacksons Lucky Spencer.

Funny you bring this up now, as on another board we just started discussing it too lol Mainly due to Jason's actor leaving the show over vaccine mandates smh

As for the show itself, I've been a fan since the mid-90s and LOVE all three characters you named (Jason is my favorite, followed VERY closely by Carly then Sonny.) And one of the things I liked was that they did have the mobsters as heroes, which was hilarious to me. I like that they didn't play around, like John Black on Days or other soaps. They actually got right to it and would end the villain, instead of looking like morons when the obvious answer is staring them in the face. But GH always had it's anti-heroes, namely Luke Spencer and Duke Lavery, so that's not a new thing.

I watch GH. I think the actress who plays Carly is just boring all the time, but she keeps getting on every day. How will the show manage without Jason? I think the actresses who play Nina, Britt, and Liesel are great. I also love Alexis and her daughters, but the actress who plays Kristina can’t seem to get anymore story even though she is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    I watch GH. I think the actress who plays Carly is just boring all the time, but she keeps getting on every day. How will the show manage without Jason? I think the actresses who play Nina, Britt, and Liesel are great. I also love Alexis and her daughters, but the actress who plays Kristina can’t seem to get anymore story even though she is wonderful.
    Sarah Brown will always be Carly to me. None of the recasts have every really worked, they don't have her nuance and charm. Laura Wright (Carly's current portrayer) is ok, but again, she's no Sarah Brown.

How will the show manage without Jason? Well I don't think its a coincidence they brought back Drew, since that's kinda what they did last time. Drew will fill the void. Not a 1:1 scenario, obviously, but, yeah.

The actress who plays Nina has grown on me, and the Nixon Falls storyline and fallout did the trick. Before, I was just missing Michelle Stafford.

I'll always wish the producers didn't treat Sean Kanan like crap when he returned, I would have loved to have seen him on screen with Burton if he had stayed longer to coincide with Burton's return. And I always think about him (well AJ) whenever Michael rages about what Nina did to Sonny.

Both Jason and Jax are off the show due to the mandates. How did they write Jax out? Jason is "buried" in a cave in on Cassidine Island, so I am sure he can come back at some time.

Jax just left, seemingly because he and Carly aren't friends anymore over the whole Nina thing. He promised to be back though, which IMO could mean recast but we'll see. Jax has had extended leaves before.

Fantastic Member

I think the show will do just fine without Jason. This isn't the first time Steve Burton has left.

Though it's disappointing to hear that Burton left due to not wanting to follow the mandate, but he was more classy than Ingo was.

Niffleheim

I hate Sonny and Carly as characters but mostly for what they did to the Quartermaines. They were like Deadpool made in to the lead character of the X-Men. I stopped watching a long time ago.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Did you like Sonny better when he thought he was Mike? Would you prefer him and Nina as a couple instead of Sonny and Carly?

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Both Jason and Jax are off the show due to the mandates. How did they write Jax out? Jason is "buried" in a cave in on Cassidine Island, so I am sure he can come back at some time.
    I thought Jax was kicked due to transphobic comments the actor posted?

And I'm 100% positive Jason was rescued by the mysterious female prisoner Drew mentioned (watch it be Helena lol) I'm guessing they'll put Drew with Britt now.

I wish just once that they'd have someone acknowledge the lack of a body probably means the person isn't dead, though. Especially since this particular mission involved just that with Drew, plus Sonny just came back less than a month ago.

But it is funny they can't seem to have both Jason and Drew on the show at one time.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Did you like Sonny better when he thought he was Mike? Would you prefer him and Nina as a couple instead of Sonny and Carly?
    I have never liked Sonny. I have never liked Carly. I have always wished for their deaths but unfortunately for me they were too popular to be killed so I stopped watching the show
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I have never liked Sonny. I have never liked Carly. I have always wished for their deaths but unfortunately for me they were too popular to be killed so I stopped watching the show
    I still watch the show, but I don’t like Carly. She is a real btch. I like Sonny and I hope he will leave Carly for Nina. Now that Jax is out of the picture, there is a opportunity for Sonny and Nina. Carly doesn’t love Sonny anyway, she loves the late Jason.
    Last edited by tarbabe; 12-03-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Good News! Laura, Felicia, and Kristina are all returning to the show.

The show treats deaths as permanent, when people return from the dead on a seemingly permanent basis. AJ was one of the few times a character returned after there was a body (I forgot how they explained that away). But most of the deaths = no body.

Morgan was blown up, no body or remains.
    Both times Jason died, no body. Remember the first time Burton left, Faison shot him in the stomach and he fell off the pier. No body ever washed up.
    Sonny died when the Secaucus Bridge collapsed and his body was washed away in the river (in this instance, he was dead from the perspective of the characters since he wound up as the amnesiac Mike in Nixon Falls).
    Dante died once, no body. Returned as a programed assassin for Helena.

I'm sure there's more instances, its just funny this keeps happening and people don't just shrug and say "meh they'll be back." Jason is especially weird cause this is the second time it's happened to him, where he died for good despite no body recovered. Last time they said no body would be found cause the currents are so strong his body could have washed up anywhere. Now they're saying all those tons of rock its impossible to get through it and they'd just find a mangled mess if they did anyway.

They left an opening for Jason’s return, either by Steven Burton or a replacement actor.