Default Wolverine #18: Friends like these

Recap:

We open with Banister at a motel getting some food from a vending machine. Maverick is there in civilian clothes being generally creepy and ominous so Banister heads back to the room only to see the door open. He burst through the door with his gun drawn to find Logan watching cartoons with his daughter, Logan says he got the message that they needed help followed immediately by a grenade being tossed into the room. Logan dives on the grenade and tells Banister and Katie (I think that's the daughter's name) to run. Maverick and his goons confront Logan and say they'll leave if Logan just gives back the listening device. While Logan and Maverick are talking Banister steals a semi truck and drives it through the wall knocking over Maverick and his goons and rescuing Logan. The chase is on, Logan and crew are driving to the nearest gate while the mercs give chase in a helicopter. The back of the semi is filled with slabs of beef so Logan cuts open a whole and is throwing whole sides of cows at the chopper.

Back on Krakoa, Forge confirms the listening device is his work. The people spying on Krakoa planted the bug in the green lagoon.

Cut back to Banister, now meeting at the diner with Delores from the X-desk, Banister is mad that she had his office killed and put his daughter in danger, Delores says she was spying on Krakoa but didn't have anything to do with the killing. Delores is then shot by a sniper, Logan was hiding in the diner as back up, he goes after the sniper. After Logan runs off Maverick comes in and tells Banister he needs the listening device, if he gives it up no one gets hurt. Banister gives him the bug.

Logan is chasing the shooter across some roof tops, the shooter leaps to another building but barely catches the ledge. Logan leaps over and tells him that he recognizes his scent, he's from the Legacy House (the place in issue 10 that was auctioning off superhero and villain paraphernalia.) The shooter tells Logan that "The Merchant" has a message for him, since Logan destroyed all his stuff he can plan on being on the auction block himself. Logan responds to the goon, "tell the Merchant I've got a message for him too, keep your filthy fingers off Krakoa" he then chops off the shooters fingers letting him fall to his likely demise.

Data page with some of the recording from the bug, we hear Black Tom telling Juggernaut that sometimes people confuse him with Dracula and it makes him sad, Juggernaut is supportive of his friend.

Next up is Maverick with the Merchant. The Merchant in now dealing in mutant information since all of his stuff was destroyed. They boot up the listening device and it's Logan and Banister singing Johnny Cash songs, Merchant is pissed and his goons draw guns on Maverick, Maverick wants to make a deal.

Final scene is Logan and Banister drinking beers on the beach in Krakoa while Katie plays with the other kids.

Pretty standard Wolverine issue. It honestly felt like a mini summer blockbuster action flick packed into one comic and I'm not complaining. It was fun to read, kind of cheesy at parts and didn't require much in the way of thinking. The art was solid as well so that helped and Banister is easy to root for. This was a much better outing than X-Force last week. I keep saying this but Percy does much better on this title recently than his does on X-Force. The "keep your filthy fingers off Krakoa" line followed by Logan chopping off the bad guys fingers was by far the highlight of todays issue for me.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

damn.. guess nobody read it lol

Extraordinary Member

I did read it, and not a fan.

I really hope this is Percy's worst work because he was focused on writing X lives/Deaths because otherwise it's going to be a mess

BANNED

Was a decent issue. It had a fun classic action packed drama vibe with little twists on each intervals. But it is very casual. No stakes to make me invest. I wouldn't have mind this if there is another book that make me care about him more. It's a problem for the entire run

It was fine. That’s about all I have to say about it. Not loving Maverick’s heel turn here, but not all that bothered by it either. It is what it is I guess. Not a particularly good story arc. Not a horrendous one. Just mediocre. Like most of the X-books right now IMO.

Inferno and SWORD are the only ones entertaining me at the moment.

BANNED

I hope someone replaces him during Destiny of X. Would love to see Frank Tieri back in the wheels. If the events brings major changes around the character. Make his past discreet again. That would be a pretty fresh start for him. I hope thats the same thing that happens with Insomniac.

I have skimmed the issue once again. The action wasn't really hitting me at all over the last issues. Its the same case for this issue. This is not the Percy which I read during Dawn of X.
    Last edited by Vishop; 11-25-2021 at 06:59 AM.

It’s interesting that Krakoa seems to be harboring Banister and his daughter on the mainland and are even alright with Banister going to Forge’s workshop. That’s a far cry from the King In Black Marauders tie-in where the refugees were kept on a separate island.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    It’s interesting that Krakoa seems to be harboring Banister and his daughter on the mainland and are even alright with Banister going to Forge’s workshop. That’s a far cry from the King In Black Marauders tie-in where the refugees were kept on a separate island.
    Well two people is different from many.

If they turn out to know too much or act like spies they can easily just kill them wirh no witnesses.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

I liked this issue and I don't mind what was done with Maverick. He reminds me of what Deadpool used to be(without the lame wisecracks). A no moral compass mercenary who works for the highest bidder and would switch sides at the drop of a hat.