Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Joker 2021 Annual #1 Preview

The Joker 2021 Annual #1 Preview
    Writer: James Tynion IV and Matthew Rosenberg
    Artist: Francesco Francavilla

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The hostage situation and the trigger happy SWAT is reminiscence of Year One, but since Bullock, Babsgirl and Catman are there, and seems to lead up to Killing Joke this should be the early 80s

Oh, damn . . . those pages make me want to possibly buy a comic book written by Tynion?!?

So Tynion can write The Joker as genuinely funny .

By the way, have the comic books (or at least Tynion) moved to the idea of an early relationship between Gordon and Bullock that feels more like what they did in the Gotham TV show? (Granted, I never really watched the show, but what I saw/read about it seemed like they weren't really adversaries.)

Back in Bullock's original (pre-CoIE) appearances, the two didn't exactly hit it off.

From Batman #361 (July 1983):

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Related to that, Batman Earth One and Gotham tv series have used the idea that Bullock has been there with Gordon since the beginning. So I wonder... anyone remembers if he's in War of Jokes and Riddles?

He's not in Zero Year.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    By the way, have the comic books (or at least Tynion) moved to the idea of an early relationship between Gordon and Bullock that feels more like what they did in the Gotham TV show? (Granted, I never really watched the show, but what I saw/read about it seemed like they weren't really adversaries.)

Back in Bullock's original (pre-CoIE) appearances, the two didn't exactly hit it off.

From Batman #361 (July 1983):
    Very much so. This is from memory, but one I think it was one of the New 52 #0 issues that had Bullock as the one good cop Gordon found at the start of his time in Gotham. He even saved Gordon from a hit by other crooked cops.

Anyone else remember when Bullock was in Vigilante and Checkmate? I think that did more to create the Bullock we know than the original run. That said, his eventual switch to Gordon's side in that first run is a fist-pumping "YES!" moment. Great character work.
    Last edited by exile001; 12-17-2021 at 03:53 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!