Extraordinary Member

Default Batman 2021 Annual #1 Preview

Batman 2021 Annual #1 Preview
    Writer: James Tynion IV
    Artist: Ricardo Lopez Ortiz

I've been looking forward to this! loved the Ghost-Maker backup. I hope by "The Ghost-Maker Saga concluded" they don't plan on shuffling him off to oblivion. I'd like a continued reoccurring role or a solo limited series for him; or even more backups/anthology stories.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I feel like Ghost-Maker would stand out more as an Independent hero than he would in the DCU where he just feels like several characters mashed together and paired with Batman.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I've been looking forward to this! loved the Ghost-Maker backup. I hope by "The Ghost-Maker Saga concluded" they don't plan on shuffling him off to oblivion. I'd like a continued reoccurring role or a solo limited series for him; or even more backups/anthology stories.
    Same, I've really enjoyed him and would definitely like more.

Alas, I imagine when Tynion leaves most of his new characters will disappear.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Same, I've really enjoyed him and would definitely like more.

Alas, I imagine when Tynion leaves most of his new characters will disappear.
    Well, Williamson seems to respect what Tynion has done, so I don't think he'll deliberately erase anyone at any rate...

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Amen to that!

I hope we will get to know more about him in the future.
    According to BC, he is Singaporean & his name is Minkhoa Khan. Also, he will be Clownhunter's mentor:
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goth...aled-spoilers/

Edit: yeah, his name is confirmed in the preview
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 11-25-2021 at 10:51 AM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Incredible Member

It looks like he'll be having a multi-part story in Urban Legends alongside Wight Witch from Catwoman, starting in issue 11.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Amen to that!

I hope we will get to know more about him in the future.
    According to BC, he is Singaporean & his name is Minkhoa Khan. Also, he will be Clownhunter's mentor:
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/goth...aled-spoilers/

Edit: yeah, his name is confirmed in the preview
    Hyped for this backup, and for Ghost-Maker becoming Clownhunter's mentor!

Indeed, in hindsight, the two were pretty much made for each other as mentor and protégé. Legit, this had to have been planned by Tynion as part of his long-game, prior to his decision to leave DC. Both are neurodivergent Asian males (one Singaporean and the other Vietnamese-American) who have a hard time creating and maintaining healthy socioemotional bonds. Both have had hard, arduous lives at young ages that tested and taxed them emotionally and psychologically, responding to those tests in different and also similar ways. Both are edgy as heck in their own ways, and are pretty darn charismatic and compelling in their edginess.

Again, the two were made for each other. One needs direction and guidance in a way that will actually speak to and reach him (Clownhunter). The other needs an emotional core and anchor all his own that is relatable to him and that he can build something on a more interpersonal level with (Ghost-Maker).

The prospect of Clownhunter getting sword trainer is awesome. Always appreciate the classics!

I don't see dc wanting Williamson to use these characters because I'm sure they don't want to pay royalties for them. I think they may just ignore them or kill them. I'm not really sure on the legality of all of it so if someone knows and could explain that would be cool.