Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Incredible Member Unspeakable Evil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I read it. It's good enough, but I feel there was a missed opportunity to really dig into Ben's psyche. The hallucinatory trip ends pretty soon after the preview pages. There was a lot more that could've been done and the preview showed a lot of promise, so I was disappointed Ben "got better" so quick. Maybe the writer felt constrained by the page count. All in all, this 2-parter was definitely better than Thompson's, but not as good as Wells'. I have .... mixed feelings about the upcoming Miles two-parter because I know that's Saladin Ahmed's pet.
    What makes you say that. Sure he's writing his solo but I wouldn't call him his Pet character either

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    What makes you say that. Sure he's writing his solo but I wouldn't call him his Pet character either
    Usually if someone is exclusively writing that character then they have an affinity for that character. I don’t think Miles should be in the same league as a perfect clone of Peter Parker, especially one in an enhanced super-suit. If Miles gets the upper hand on Ben next week… well, then I think my suspicions would’ve been on the money. Hopefully it’s not that predictable.

Well, Ahmed also had Ben job to Conan when he was writing a Conan book, so...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Usually if someone is exclusively writing that character then they have an affinity for that character. I don’t think Miles should be in the same league as a perfect clone of Peter Parker, especially one in an enhanced super-suit. If Miles gets the upper hand on Ben next week… well, then I think my suspicions would’ve been on the money. Hopefully it’s not that predictable.
    Makes no sense feats wise as well

And a physically broken Peter held his own against an entire amped Spider-fam(better physicals and new abilities) in a sub and then saved them from drowning.He was holding back as well and they were not(states this himself) recently in Spencer's run.Although I'd attribute that to vastly superior experience and intellect along w/ Spider-fu which is made to combat Spider-based foes.

As for Beyond Ben vs Miles I want to say the suit makes this a no brainer but he's even so f*cking weak these in his showings I feel DD could beat him up

BANNED

Better than the Morbius 2-parter. This is very wheels spinning though. They are slow rolling what's going on with Beyond, which would be fine if the a stories they were delivering were good. But they aren't. The hallucinations were brisk and not too interesting and having spoilers:
    the win be that Kraven was just dumb enough to through Ben in a room with a guy that has cure all pills was a let down.
    end of spoilers Definitely a missed opportunity to explore Ben's pool psyche.

The two parted format isn't working either. The storytelling real estate is so tight and the team is trying to balance Ben, Janine and the Beyond Corp along with showing Ben be Spidey and has no space to tell a satisfying tale.

We need a Zeb Wells issue STAT.

Also echoing the chorus of Ben jobbing to Miles would suck. I'm so annoyed about the prospect of it that I won't buy the issue without seeing detailed spoilers
    Last edited by MisterC; 12-01-2021 at 08:44 AM.

Extraordinary Member

It's mid

1.No deep psyche dive which would be perfect for new fans to see Ben and Old fans to get a trip back

2.No clones talk

3.Kraven's stance was told to us in an interview prior and they didn't develop it here.He keeps talking bu it's just a bunch of nothing

4.The algae-reserve thingy is a weird thing and doesn't add anything, and why doesn't Ben's suit have anti-toxins on the go?Peter's mark 4 had specific and general anti-toxins from issue 1 and that was Slott...

They really hyped this suit up for it to be utterly useless and get trashed every other fight.

The suit took a head on hit from Iron clad who held his own against Thor, Hulk and Iron man and yet can't stop cars or tank room sized explosions.

5.Maxine and Marcus were the highlight.... I really want to see what Maxine has in store besides Ben and the Miles issue.

6.Janine felt very aggressive, even for her situation.Marcus seemed like a customer care service handling a problem while having to listen to a Karen rant in his ear while his Boss is coming down on him as well.

6.The way Aunt May and Ock are written here, I'm going to throw up

Can't blame the writer, this 2 issue formate makes the BND style team somehow even worse.

And as people have said, it reads like filler and that would be bad enough usually but this is a 19 issue arc and one would hope there would be minimum filler or none at all.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 12-01-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Spectacular Member

it might feel like filler now, but there were some good beats in there that could turn out to be important... I don't mind the slow build and fleshing out the situation, could have done with an extra issue with Kraven imo it felt a bit rushed

Ben calling himself Peter... I know he was drugged but is there more to this? I don't think he's ever done that before... coupled with the brief bouts of amenesia (yes I know tip of the tongue syndrome happens to us all more than we'd like to admit but interestingly they include it which is unusual for a comic) has me wondering if this truly is our Ben...

Enjoying reading new Ben Spider-Man stories but just hoping he survives this

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    it might feel like filler now, but there were some good beats in there that could turn out to be important... I don't mind the slow build and fleshing out the situation, could have done with an extra issue with Kraven imo it felt a bit rushed

Ben calling himself Peter... I know he was drugged but is there more to this? I don't think he's ever done that before... coupled with the brief bouts of amenesia (yes I know tip of the tongue syndrome happens to us all more than we'd like to admit but interestingly they include it which is unusual for a comic) has me wondering if this truly is our Ben...

Enjoying reading new Ben Spider-Man stories but just hoping he survives this
    One of the bigger implications is that Maxine might reclone Ben or erase his mind, given her nuclear option comments